Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Narita International Airport (NRT) - Layover & Hotel
Where to stay overnight and what to do nearby

Narita Airport (NRT) is approximately 60 km from central Tokyo. It is blessed with numerous hotels, many with shuttles (served from the terminals' bus platforms) and often at surprisingly low rates for Japan. Some of these hotels offer free shuttles into the nearby city of Narita (Narita-shi).

If you have a few hours (say six or more) Narita offers many things to do--the Narita-san Shinsho-ji Temple and Park is beautiful and pleasant and on weekends one often sees performances of traditional arts and music. The Omotesando street leading there is lined with shops and restaurants, as well as a local museum.

See Mike Newman's Narita Layover Pages for many things one can do.

See the thorough online Japan Guide.

Read this article on CNN.

Some of the hotels at/near Narita Airport:
A - Radisson Hotel Narita https://www.radisson.com/narita-hote...-0221/jpnarita
B - Narita Gateway Hotel http://www.reservations.com/hotel/na...FQ-bfgodLi4M0A
C - Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu http://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/h...RIT/index.html
D - Narita View Hotel http://www.viewhotels.co.jp/narita/english/
E - Hilton Narita http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/jap...IHI/index.html
F - ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hote...cp/hoteldetail
G - Marroad International Hotel Narita http://www.marroad.jp/narita/eindex.htm
H - Narita Tobu Hotel http://www.tobuhotel.co.jp.e.mi.hp.transer.com/narita/
I - Hotel Nikko Narita http://www.nikko-narita.com/english/
J - Narita Airport Rest House (located inside the airport) http://www.apo-resthouse.com/english/
K - Toyoko Inn Narita Kuko http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00037/
L - Skycourt Narita http://www.sky-hotel.jp/narita/en/

Print Wikipost

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
There is a fast lane service for passport control at NRT, but it is still experimental stage. Need a pass to use a fast lane and the pass is given to passengers via airlines. Not much information regarding how many passes which airlines get. Also, it is up to each airline to decide which passengers get a pass. The fast lane is available only to non-Japanese passport holders

At NRT, once you go through a transit area upon arrival at NRT and come out on departure gate side, then there is no way for a passenger to go through a passport control/customs and come out on land side of the terminal. This is the way all Japanese airports are set up.

If you want to come out on the land side then you have to go through passport control/customs upon arrival at NRT and not to go through the transit area.

You can get a boarding pass for ET at the gate if you go through transit upon arrival at NRT. If you go through passport control/customs and come out at land side then get a boarding pass at check-in counter which is shown as opening three hours before the departure.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by JoseVerde
Hi, we'll be arriving on UA837 at 11:40am and departing on ET673 at 9:10pm (both flights in J). We're meeting a friend airside to say hi for a little bit and in order to maximize time
Do you mean landside? I wouldn't want to stay airside for 9 and half hours.

Originally Posted by JoseVerde
I want to know where it is best to get my boarding pass for the ET flight?
Are both flights on the same PNR? If so, you should be able to get boarding pass for the ET673 leg at SFO when you check in for UA837.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:36 pm
O62

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
There is a fast lane service for passport control at NRT, but it is still experimental stage. Need a pass to use a fast lane and the pass is given to passengers via airlines. Not much information regarding how many passes which airlines get. Also, it is up to each airline to decide which passengers get a pass. The fast lane is available only to non-Japanese passport holders

At NRT, once you go through a transit area upon arrival at NRT and come out on departure gate side, then there is no way for a passenger to go through a passport control/customs and come out on land side of the terminal. This is the way all Japanese airports are set up.

If you want to come out on the land side then you have to go through passport control/customs upon arrival at NRT and not to go through the transit area.

You can get a boarding pass for ET at the gate if you go through transit upon arrival at NRT. If you go through passport control/customs and come out at land side then get a boarding pass at check-in counter which is shown as opening three hours before the departure.
Thank you! Great info and might have saved us from getting 'trapped' in the departures area. Customs/immigration --> friend --> check in desk --> departure. Got it!

Originally Posted by msb0b
Do you mean landside? I wouldn't want to stay airside for 9 and half hours.

Are both flights on the same PNR? If so, you should be able to get boarding pass for the ET673 leg at SFO when you check in for UA837.
Yes, screwed up the words, thanks for catching that! And yes, both flights are on the same PNR, but in my experience (1) UA staff can't print boarding passes for some partners [happened to us going SFO-PEK-SYD] or (2) the UA printed boarding pass won't work or will cause a bunch of confusion (I once had a partner gate agent tell us our boarding pass wasn't a UA flight and I needed to go to a different gate even though the boarding pass was for the partner flight - they just saw UA printed on the boarding pass and refused to read anything else). I'm sure it can work, but IME it's better just to have a paper boarding pass on the operating carriers stock.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Does anyone have experience with longer term luggage storage in Narita? I'm planning a 2 day stopover (on my way to a longer trip elsewhere in Asia). I want to travel Tokyo with just my carry-on, and leave my checked bag at the airport (total 48 hours) - is that doable?

(I'm planning on staying in a hotel near narita on the first night, and then somewhere in Tokyo proper the second night. These plans are still tentative, I haven't done too much research yet.)
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by televisor
Does anyone have experience with longer term luggage storage in Narita? I'm planning a 2 day stopover (on my way to a longer trip elsewhere in Asia). I want to travel Tokyo with just my carry-on, and leave my checked bag at the airport (total 48 hours) - is that doable?

(I'm planning on staying in a hotel near narita on the first night, and then somewhere in Tokyo proper the second night. These plans are still tentative, I haven't done too much research yet.)
Yes, there is baggage storage service at NRT arrival area. There are few difference companies, for example JAL ABC has rate of:

Small box size (each dimension smaller than legal paper size): 310 yen/item/day
Items not exceeding 704545 cm (27.517.717.5 inches): 510 yen/item/day
Items larger than above: 830 yen/item/day

There is coin operated lockers also, largest locker is 500 yen/day but may not have any vacant the time you need one or few. Baggage storage service is available all the time, do not have to worry about if there is an open locker or not.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: Thai Gold, UA, AA, SWA
Layover in Narita -what to do

I have a 19 hr layover in Narita. LAX-NRT arriving around 5:30 pm and departing next day at 12:30 pm NRT-DEL. JL is providing a free hotel, but I am not sure if it is in the airport or outside. Is there anything to do or see during this layover time or am I destined to be stuck in a hotel room.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:53 pm

you may not have enough time to do much....as you'll need to be at NRT by around 10am for your flight? between narita temple (which I'd say you'd need a minimum of about 4 hrs) and aeon mall (local mall, yes even with a sports authority [rip]) you'll need to make the best of your time.........
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:05 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
The Japan travel forum has a sticky thread on duniawala's topic and I'll move this to that thread. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jul 27, 2016 at 3:11 pm
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by duniawala
I have a 19 hr layover in Narita. LAX-NRT arriving around 5:30 pm and departing next day at 12:30 pm NRT-DEL. JL is providing a free hotel, but I am not sure if it is in the airport or outside. Is there anything to do or see during this layover time or am I destined to be stuck in a hotel room.
Depends on where they're putting you up at, but I suspect it'll be at one of the airport hotels in which case there's not much nearby. Some of the hotels have free shuttles to not only NRT but also to Narita town. If so, you can take that or the taxi to Narita town, although a lot of things will be shut down by the time you're able to get there at night. You could go visit the Narita temple in the morning, although I presume a lot of the nearby stores and such won't be open before ~10am.

If you wanted, you could go spend a night in Tokyo. Ueno would be the fastest to/from NRT, and there are some things there to do. You'd probably have 7p~10a to spend there.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:07 am

How long does it take to go to Ueno from Narita?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
Will be in town of Narita for a couple of days next month and will have already done Yokohama and Tokyo. Would appreciate some favorite restaurants or izakayas that anyone can recommend in Narita.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by jameschan2811
How long does it take to go to Ueno from Narita?
40-45min by Keisei Skyliner
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by MiamiFlyer
Will be in town of Narita for a couple of days next month and will have already done Yokohama and Tokyo. Would appreciate some favorite restaurants or izakayas that anyone can recommend in Narita.
If I had a couple days, I'd definitely go stay in Tokyo/Yokohama area where the food selections are amazing. I've never spent more than half-day in Narita (not counting time spent at the hotel). So I don't purport to know the food scene in Narita too well. I've had a lot of average meals there, and really the most dependable food around there imho is at Gyoza no Ousho which is just a chain gyoza place (located right by Keisei Ueno Station). Otherwise, check Tabelog.

But if memory serves, aren't you the one that spent 3 full days or something in Narita last year? If so, then you might probably know the Narita city's dining scene better than most of us here.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA-EXP (15yrs) 3+MM , exDLPlt, exCOPlt, Cruiseaholic (250+)
Yep, was there last year. My NRT source (two Delta pilots that I met at the Jet Lag Club) have retired. I have heard there is new retail by the JR station.
Will already be doing two days in Tokyo (cruise ship docked in Yokohama), so enough. If I find anything new/interesting/exciting (in NRT?), will post same.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL-PM; Marriott-Plat; SPG (soon RIP) - Plat, and e/t connected to AMEX Plat
Been all around the Narita Tourist/Transit program, can't find operating hours... Any idea of the guides regular time/schedule? Landing from JL5 on 1/11/17 at 16:35 in NRT and want to do the walking tour of Narita city and Shinsho-Ji Temple (and surrounding gardens). If possible, prefer guided tour. Booked into Crowne ANA (& Radisson, figuring out which has easier shuttle transport) and scheduled to leave on CX501 @ 10:35. Any info is helpful, probably leaving luggage in storage at airport to make for a more swift transfer to/from hotel. Anyone have info on the fish market 05:00 tour - operators willing to pickup/dropoff at hotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.