Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Advice for an 8+ hour layover in Haneda

Old Apr 3, 2024, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver

My family and I are flying from the US into Haneda and then have an 8+ hour layover before my connecting flight to Bangkok departs. I will arrive at 330P and leave at 12A. How would you spend these 8+ hours in Tokyo if you have two teenagers who have never been to Japan? Any advice getting through immigration quickly to maximize the time? Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by SULAX50
My family and I are flying from the US into Haneda and then have an 8+ hour layover before my connecting flight to Bangkok departs. I will arrive at 330P and leave at 12A. How would you spend these 8+ hours in Tokyo if you have two teenagers who have never been to Japan? Any advice getting through immigration quickly to maximize the time? Thanks!
Hi,

Which airlines are you flying with to/from Japan and what class of travel ( do you have lounge access).
I would fill out the Visit japan web site ( Customs and immigration form) which might save some time
You should be out of immigration and customs by 430pm . ( if bags are checked through then no need to collect them at HND)
There is the Haneda airport garden area connected to T3 with shops ,restaurants and an onsen
Haneda Airport Garden Landing Page (hvf.jp)

You could also ride the Tokyo monrail and get to Tokyo Station to explore Ginza
Access to Haneda Airport Tokyo Monorail (tokyo-monorail.co.jp)
You will have to go through exit immigration prior to boarding your flight if you choose to enter japan

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 3, 2024, 12:53 pm

Programs: JMB, AMC
It's easy to take one of the public transportation options to Tokyo, but do keep in mind a lot of the museums and attractions will close at 5pm if you are planning on something family friendly, although nothing will stop you from just walking around a district or two like Shibuya, Akihabara, or whatever piques your interest.
I've found immigration to be pretty quick with the automatic booths long as you have everything in order, less than 30min.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Thank you for the responses and the good advice. How long will it take to go thru security and immigration at Haneda when we leave?
Old Apr 3, 2024, 6:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Harajuku (1hr each way to Haneda) is packed with young people. Shibuya as well.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 6:17 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by SULAX50
Thank you for the responses and the good advice. How long will it take to go thru security and immigration at Haneda when we leave?
Generally less than 30 minutes.

I would suggest aiming to return to HND around 9pm. Visit the onsen (4,800 JPY per person) next to T3 before going through security and exit immigration. I think that plane spotting while soaking in a tub would be a pretty cool way to end the day, and it always feels good to board a flight feeling refreshed. If you want to stay later in central Tokyo or you don't want to spend 4,800 for the onsen experience, there are showers in the lounges and a shower facility in the arrivals hall of T3 (1,500 JPY per person).
https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/travel...haneda-airport

As for districts to visit in Tokyo - I guess Shibuya would probably make the biggest impression on the teenagers. It's a lively area after dark. For that reason, I would recommend it over, say, Asakusa which would be fun if your flight arrived a little earlier. I would stick to one area if I were you - wander around, find somewhere to eat and wander around a bit more.
https://bento.com/dbinx/ra-shib.html

EDIT - If you want to see the city from up high, you could book tickets to visit Shibuya Sky Gallery at the top of the Shibuya Scramble Square building. There are also viewing spots that you can access free of charge:
https://matcha-jp.com/en/1141
LapLap and bmwe92fan like this.

Last edited by jib71; Apr 3, 2024 at 6:58 pm
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only thing I will add is, if your flight is on the weekend or on a public holiday, it might not be possible to find somewhere to eat landside in the Haneda Airport complex when you return to the airport.

I cant stress enough how popular the airport had become with visitors, not just those with flights. Be careful about relying on having your last meal there. We turned up with my father-in-law expecting to dine there together before we said our farewells and every single restaurant was booked up, even the waiting lists were full. This was for a post midnight departure on a Sunday night.
YariGuy, bmwe92fan and freecia like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 7:50 pm

As a diamond-encrusted-platinum ambassador of the Tokyo Monorail, it would be remiss of me not to recommend it as the ideal way for you and your teenagers to travel into Tokyo and back. That's because:
1. It's above ground so you can watch the scenery change from maintenance hangars and warehouses to city center.
2. It's comparatively simple, since all the trains go to the Hamamatsucho or to the Airport.
3. Hamamatsucho is a bit of a zoo, but it does have a passageway to the JR station for connections to Shibuya and other places.
4. It's frequent.
5. It's a monorail.
'Nuff said.
chokeman, LapLap, buddyj and 6 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA GM
Originally Posted by jib71
5. It's a monorail.
buried the lead
Old Apr 5, 2024, 7:21 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by jib71
As a diamond-encrusted-platinum ambassador of the Tokyo Monorail
Would you also recommend the monorail to get to Shinagawa station (we will land at HND at 3:30pm next month, and intend to ride the Shinkansen to Kyoto that afternoon)? I understand that riding the monorail will require a transfer to a metro train to get to Shinagawa, but maybe it's worth it.

We'll just have our backpacks and carry-ons with us.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Would you also recommend the monorail to get to Shinagawa station (we will land at HND at 3:30pm next month, and intend to ride the Shinkansen to Kyoto that afternoon)? I understand that riding the monorail will require a transfer to a metro train to get to Shinagawa, but maybe it's worth it.
For ease, time, and cost, the Keikyu line to Shinagawa is the sensible option. Make sure you get on a train that's heading to Shinagawa.

If you're a monorail fanatic, you could take the monorail to Hamamatsucho, and change there to the JR Yamanote line. It will add 15 or 20 minutes to your journey. Your friends might question your judgment. I mean, on the one hand, it's a monorail. On the other hand, it's just a monorail.

Regarding backpacks and carry ons ... When flying with a backpack, my backpack is my carry on. I guess your backpacks must be huge. It's considered good manners on commuter trains to remove the backpack and put it on the floor. You may get an unapologetic London Underground escalator shove if you block the aisle with the load on your back.
LapLap, chokeman and bmwe92fan like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.