Reload this Page >

Yamaguchi Road Trip Advice

Old Apr 16, 2023, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K *G, Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold

Hello everyone!
I was hoping I could get some feedback from my itinerary when my wife & I visit Yamaguchi in September. This will be my 2nd time driving in Japan but that was just for a day with no mountain driving.Day 1 – Pick up car at Hiroshima Station (we’re staying Hiroshima for 2 days beforehand) around 8:30 am then drive to Kintai Bridge, Yanai (my wife’s granny was from here), Hofu Tenmagu Shrine, Ruriko-ji in Yamaguchi-shi. I may then drive to Shimonoseki to stay the night there or in Yuda-onsen.

Day 2 – Breakfast at Karato Market in Shimonoseki, then drive to Fukutoku Inari Shrine, Tsunoshima Bridge and visit Tsunoshima, Motonosumi Inari Shrine and ending at Hagi to stay overnight.

Day 3 – Breakfast at the hotel in Hagi then drive over to Tsuwano and ending back at Hiroshima to drop the car off.

I should be over my jet lag by the time picking up the car, so I am not worried about being tired etc. Also, any recommendations of other places to see especially between Haji and Hiroshima or just driving in this region?

I greatly appreciate any feedback and thank you in advance!

Last edited by beanie72; Apr 16, 2023 at 2:32 pm Reason: Spelling error
Old Apr 16, 2023, 12:07 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by beanie72
Higa to stay overnight.
Hagi?

I think you have covered the most famous sites of Yamaguchi prefecture, apart from these caves - coincidentally mentioned in a recent thread.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6130.html

Mentioned at the end of this thread
Southern Honshu -- lesser known places worth a visit?

If you got a one-way rental instead of dropping the car back in Hiroshima, you could travel up the San'in coast as far as Matsue, and return the car to the airport there for an easy flight back to Tokyo (assuming you will go back to Tokyo). The sites along that route are described in the thread linked above.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K *G, Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jib71
Hagi?

I think you have covered the most famous sites of Yamaguchi prefecture, apart from these caves - coincidentally mentioned in a recent thread.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6130.html

Mentioned at the end of this thread
Southern Honshu -- lesser known places worth a visit?

If you got a one-way rental instead of dropping the car back in Hiroshima, you could travel up the San'in coast as far as Matsue, and return the car to the airport there for an easy flight back to Tokyo (assuming you will go back to Tokyo). The sites along that route are described in the thread linked above.
Updated the spelling mistake; thank you

We're not sure if we are going back to Tokyo to meet some friends for the Keirō no Hi long weekend or in Wakayama. Personally, I like your idea as I want to see that part of the country too.

I forgot to ask but do you think this itinerary is too aggressive of just the right amount of time?
Old Apr 16, 2023, 7:20 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by beanie72
I forgot to ask but do you think this itinerary is too aggressive of just the right amount of time?
It's a little aggressive in terms of the number of places that you're planning to see, but the advantage of renting a car is that you are not constrained by railway timetables. It's easy to adjust, and in the worst case you can skip one or two places.

It's a long time since I drove around there, but if I recall correctly, the roads are pretty good and not too crowded.
beanie72 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.