Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

JAL vs ANA premium economy TPAC

Old Mar 14, 2023, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hhonors, spg, flying blue, skymiles, aadvantage

Hi, how do JAL and ANA compare in Premium economy for LAX-TYO? Could consider other departure airports as well such as SFO.
Comfort in the seat is more important than the rest - space, ability to sleep. For example ANA reclines to the person behind whereas JAL has a fixed shell that the seat reclines in.

Thanks
Old Mar 14, 2023, 10:56 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
I've flown both airlines in PY and I vote for JAL. The seat is noticeably more spacious than ANA (42 inches of pitch vs 38). The shell aspect wasn't a problem at all; I found it very comfortable in the upright and reclined positions. In fact, my longest flight ever was in JAL PY. I was on the plane for 16 hours because my DFW flight diverted to Austin and we sat on the ground for a few hours before continuing to DFW. I felt comfortable the whole time.

The JAL seat also has other nice features like a huge tray table and lots of pockets, nooks, and crannies to store things like a water bottle, cell phone, and books. The ANA PY seat felt very basic without any distinguishing features. I flew in the old PY seat on ANA, but based on the photos the new seat doesn't look like anything special.
not2017, lnyc007, 355F1 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: hhonors, spg, flying blue, skymiles, aadvantage
Happy to report that I flew on JAL and the experience was great!
LapLap, freecia, Aurelian and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 7:35 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Yep, JAL PY is one of the ones I happily pay to upgrade when it's offered at the airport because it's that nice.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
My wife is a JL loyalist -- I am NH Loyal -- for J NH crushes JL -- for PY JL is the right choice...
Old Jun 28, 2023, 12:04 am

I'm a fan of JAL PY but thinking about trying NH since they just announced the Pokemon Eevee Jet NH
Old Jun 28, 2023, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since this thread is ongoing and that nobody has mentioned it yet…

My view on JL PY is that the front row is the least comfortable.

Perhaps it is different if you are very tall (or very short) but the advertised foot rests are only available to those with a seat in front of them.

My experience has been no foot rests in PY for those in bulkhead rows.

As a data point, I am 165cm tall and the length of my legs from sole to waist is 100cm.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 4:52 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
I`m more than 1.90 and love those bulkhead PE seats on JAL. Yes, there's no footrests, but the legroom is fantastic.(and the dog has tons of space). JAL also lets people there use their carryons as footrests as long as the seatbelt sign is off.
But true, shorter people are better off with the non-bulkhead seats as these have footrests, especially since the legroom is more than adequate anyway and due to the shell seat design front passengers reclining into one's space cannot happen even on the non-bulkhead seats.
LapLap likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by bhomburg
I`m more than 1.90 and love those bulkhead PE seats on JAL. Yes, there's no footrests, but the legroom is fantastic.(and the dog has tons of space). JAL also lets people there use their carryons as footrests as long as the seatbelt sign is off.
But true, shorter people are better off with the non-bulkhead seats as these have footrests, especially since the legroom is more than adequate anyway and due to the shell seat design front passengers reclining into one's space cannot happen even on the non-bulkhead seats.
Would you happen to know if the door protrudes out on the 777 JL PE bulkhead row 17 window seat?
Old Nov 3, 2023, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by benjahman
Would you happen to know if the door protrudes out on the 777 JL PE bulkhead row 17 window seat?
It does not. It is the over wing door, and the location of the slide is different.
benjahman likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 3:47 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by benjahman
Is the JL premium economy seating the same on a 787? I'm looking at HND / NGO / KIX to HNL flights, so TPAC, but not quite to the US west coast.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by YariGuy
Is the JL premium economy seating the same on a 787? I'm looking at HND / NGO / KIX to HNL flights, so TPAC, but not quite to the US west coast.
Basically the same. There might be some slight tweaks to adapt them to the different cabins, but to most extents and purposes the same.
YariGuy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.