Reload this Page >

US Style Steakhouse in Tokyo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Style Steakhouse in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2023, 8:05 pm

Fatburger is no In n Out (closer to five guys than In n Out). And In n Out is no Shake Shack. SS has Japan pretty well locked up at this point. I don't think In n Out would fit the Japanese aesthetic nearly as well. I grew up on In n Out but find the meat pretty bland these days. I do still like to pair their chocolate shake with Shake Shack's burger and fries ironically.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
I've never heard of Fatburger before. The burgers and fries look really good. They appear to be mainly located in the LA area. Has anyone else tried them?
Went to the one in Shinjuku before. Not sure if it is still around. Was pretty good, but I prefer Shake Shack.
Fatburger Japan
Old Jan 20, 2023, 8:16 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
I've never heard of Fatburger before. The burgers and fries look really good. They appear to be mainly located in the LA area. Has anyone else tried them?
I spoke too soon and should have done my homework. There is a Fatburger in Tokyo: https://www.fatburger.tokyo/

Fatburger burgers

Fatburger menu
Old Jan 20, 2023, 8:17 pm

If you're looking for this style burger I can also recommend Henry's in Daikanyama

https://www.instagram.com/henrysburger_japan/?hl=en
mjm likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pesos
Fatburger is no In n Out (closer to five guys than In n Out). And In n Out is no Shake Shack. SS has Japan pretty well locked up at this point. I don't think In n Out would fit the Japanese aesthetic nearly as well. I grew up on In n Out but find the meat pretty bland these days. I do still like to pair their chocolate shake with Shake Shack's burger and fries ironically.
I ate at Shake Shack's Roppongi restaurant very soon after it opened and the burger meal was not memorable, but it was a long time ago (the mid 90s, I believe). Which of their burgers and food do you most highly recommend?
Old Jan 20, 2023, 8:37 pm

I ate at Shake Shack's Roppongi restaurant very soon after it opened and the burger meal was not memorable, but it was a long time ago (the mid 90s, I believe). Which of their burgers and food do you most highly recommend?
Definitely got some interesting things going on with your memory in that case :-)
Shake Shack didn't come to Japan until 2016, and didn't exist at all prior to 2001 when it was just a cart in the park in Manhattan... the "real" shop I think opened in Madison Sq park a few years after that.

Maybe you're confusing it with something else?

I am a doublecheeseburger fan but also really like the dark meat chicken sandwiches they've been doing lately, as well as the avocado burger. Can't say I care much for the shakes/treats but those generally aren't my thing. I like the fries and custom lemonades they do in Japan.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 8:50 pm

Definitely got some interesting things going on with your memory in that case :-)
Shake Shack didn't come to Japan until 2016, and didn't exist at all prior to 2001 when it was just a cart in the park in Manhattan... the "real" shop I think opened in Madison Sq park a few years after that.

Maybe you're confusing it with something else?

I am a doublecheeseburger fan but also really like the dark meat chicken sandwiches they've been doing lately, as well as the avocado burger. Can't say I care much for the shakes/treats but those generally aren't my thing. I like the fries and custom lemonades they do in Japan.
Yeah, I guess you're right, I checked online and found that they opened their first restaurant in Japan in 2015. https://www.eater.com/2015/11/13/972...location-japan. I guess I'm confusing it with some other US chain that opened with the same kind of diner-like interior, I wish I remembered its name. I've eaten at a Shake Shack in the US, but that was many years ago at their O'Hare Airport restaurant across from Terminal 2, Concourse F (there's a Starbucks and a sushi restaurant across from it). EDIT: My bad. It turns out that the O'Hare location is a Johnny Rockets and not a Shake Shack.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Jan 20, 2023 at 10:00 pm
Old Jan 20, 2023, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is Wayback Burger in Omotaesando adjacent to Omo-Hills.......in the old Mosburger.

https://wb-burgers.jp

There is also a Mosh Grab N Go adjacent to Hiroo Metro station.

https://www.instagram.com/moshgrabandgo/
Old Jan 20, 2023, 10:40 pm

Yeah, I guess you're right, I checked online and found that they opened their first restaurant in Japan in 2015. https://www.eater.com/2015/11/13/972...location-japan. I guess I'm confusing it with some other US chain that opened with the same kind of diner-like interior, I wish I remembered its name. I've eaten at a Shake Shack in the US, but that was many years ago at their O'Hare Airport restaurant across from Terminal 2, Concourse F (there's a Starbucks and a sushi restaurant across from it). EDIT: My bad. It turns out that the O'Hare location is a Johnny Rockets and not a Shake Shack.
hahahaha yeah johnny rockets, BLECH
Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:38 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by hijiji
Went to the one in Shinjuku before. Not sure if it is still around. Was pretty good, but I prefer Shake Shack.
Fatburger Japan
I spoke too soon and should have done my homework. There is a Fatburger in Tokyo: https://www.fatburger.tokyo/
I did not know that there is Fatburger in Tokyo. I do think Fatburger is local L.A. thing, it is one of those things it is good but same time it is bad. Every time I had Fatburger when I lived in L, A,, it was good, but I knew that I shortened my lifespan by a day or two,
Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
I did not know that there is Fatburger in Tokyo. I do think Fatburger is local L.A. thing, it is one of those things it is good but same time it is bad. Every time I had Fatburger when I lived in L, A,, it was good, but I knew that I shortened my lifespan by a day or two,
kinda like Tommy’s except that was more like a week per burger 😂
Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
hahahaha yeah johnny rockets, BLECH
Simmer down there, fella! The Johnny Rockets that was up on the 6th or 7th floor of a building right at the Roppongi Crossing was awesome. It was the first time I went into a Johnny Rockets, and I thought it was one of those classic Japanese trompe l'oeil restaurants. Went with my mom, who's a true 50's gal, and she said it was a perfect memory of her youth.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
Simmer down there, fella! The Johnny Rockets that was up on the 6th or 7th floor of a building right at the Roppongi Crossing was awesome. It was the first time I went into a Johnny Rockets, and I thought it was one of those classic Japanese trompe l'oeil restaurants. Went with my mom, who's a true 50's gal, and she said it was a perfect memory of her youth.
Simmering - one of many cooking techniques definitely never once used in a Johnny Rockets kitchen XD

My comment has solely to do with the food quality (or lack thereof). Almost as good as Applebees! But as you pointed out, the food is not the focus at JR but rather the decor and ambiance.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
My comment has solely to do with the food quality (or lack thereof). Almost as good as Applebees! But as you pointed out, the food is not the focus at JR but rather the decor and ambiance.
30 years ago, the one in Tokyo was awesome. But it's long gone, and yes, I agree the other locations are nothing to write home about, just like every other chain that goes big and corporate.

At that time, the only other decent option was Homework's in Hiroo, which is still there. It was (and remains) a fine burger, but has been surpassed by many of the options discussed here. And at the time, the Johnny Rocket's burger blew Homework's clear across the Sumidagawa.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
The Johnny Rockets that was up on the 6th or 7th floor of a building right at the Roppongi Crossing was awesome.
I'm pretty certain this is the one I mistakenly recalled in the post above as a Shack Shack. Apparently, Johnny Rockets went out of business in Japan since I could find no reference online to them anymore. The restaurant was located at Roppongi Crossing and was at least a few stories up. I liked the 50s vibe and decor of the place but as I previously mentioned, the hamburger and fries meal was not especially memorable. IIRC, I ate there in the mid-90s, but I recall that it had only just opened. When did you eat there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.