Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Going to try Zip Air for first time Nov 18

Old Sep 22, 22, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2M miler Delta Silver

Back at the end of August, I decided to take a chance on Japan fully opening in the fall. The rates at the Grand Hyatt were incredible so I went ahead and booked Thanksgiving week for a club room. I didn't book airfare then because the border policy was changing and it was still unclear and I couldn't find any award availability for the timeframe we wanted. When news broke a week ago (couple weeks ago?) that the border would be fully reopened in Oct, I started to get serious about booking the air portion of the trip. The cheapest biz class I could find was Singapore Air around 4800 and that has since risen to over 7K today. Zip Air kept popping up in my searches and was only 1600 RT with add ons for baggage for a lie flat biz class seat. It just seemed like to good of a deal to pass up. So I booked it last week and will fly them for the first time on Nov 18th.

For me the priority was / is the seat, not the food / service / alcohol so I'm really hoping that this is a bit of a find / hidden gem. Not sure if anyone has flown Zip Air LAX to NRT in their lie flats yet, would love to hear your experiences if you have. I will certainly report back on how it was for us. But for now, I'm just really excited to get back to a city I love and in time to enjoy the fall colors in Tokyo and Nikko.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 7:13 pm

For foliage in late November you probably need to head to warmer areas. I think Miyajima is a better bet than Nikko.
AMDBS likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 8:06 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
What jib71 said. According to the latest Koyo forecast, Miyajima is expected to peak on Nov. 17. Perfect timing for you!

Another great option would be Takachiho Gorge in Miyazaki (Nov. 20)
AMDBS likes this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 8:18 pm

the zip air fares seem to work one way too, which is great if you have miles to use the other way
seigex and AMDBS like this.
Old Sep 22, 22, 10:16 pm

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
I was told there is no entertainment system on board, so make sure you bring your own tablet.
Old Sep 23, 22, 7:36 am

Check YouTube for some good reviews of the seat and experience. Considering the relatively high fuel surcharges on award J bookings right now, ZipAirs prices are pretty reasonable.

seigex, mjt49, Tilto007 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by CoffeeTraveler; Sep 23, 22 at 7:44 am Reason: Added link
Old Sep 23, 22, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by williamluk View Post
I was told there is no entertainment system on board, so make sure you bring your own tablet.
This is true. No built in entertainment even in business.
Old Sep 23, 22, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2M miler Delta Silver
"I was told there is no entertainment system on board, so make sure you bring your own tablet."

Yes, I saw that. I've always either worked on that flight or used my ipad primarily so I don't think I will miss the screen - but it will be a different experience not having it there for sure.
Old Sep 23, 22, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by AMDBS View Post
"I was told there is no entertainment system on board, so make sure you bring your own tablet."

Yes, I saw that. I've always either worked on that flight or used my ipad primarily so I don't think I will miss the screen - but it will be a different experience not having it there for sure.
The one upside is that you get free Internet, likely buffered by the fact that Everyone gets free Internet.
Old Sep 25, 22, 10:35 am

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Flew ZIpAir on SIN-NRT back in June. Quality experience in Lie Flat with attentive FAs and really just a quality seat. The free wifi was a bonus. There were less than 40 folks on my flight though so not sure how it will hold up on a busier flight. I'd not hesitate to take them from NRT-LAX.
seigex likes this.
Old Sep 25, 22, 10:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Will probably try them next time. I don't care about any of the soft product at all, I don't even want food, I can bring my own. I need a bed and internet, that's all.
seigex likes this.
Old Yesterday, 6:51 am

Following this thread! Please report back - Im also interested in Zipair for future flights.
Old Today, 10:12 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I'm really intrigued by Zipair's business class. Especially on an overnight flight, all I really want to do is sleep so the seat is really the most important. The only concern is if it's built for Asian statures like JAL's Skysuite III is. At 195cm I try to avoid SS III as it's pretty cramped for my height. Will probably have to try them on a shorter intra-Asia flight first...
Old Today, 11:45 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Not aware of ZG until now. Did a quick check for December, RT LAX-NRT-LAX in business is $1,960. Wow.
Awaiting for more reports/reviews, thinking I might give it a try.
OP, please report back. Thanks.
Old Today, 12:19 pm

A lay-flat seat for the price of a premium economy fare. If I didn't have half a million ANA points saved up, I'd be all over this. Please do report back; interested in your experience.

Search this Thread