Exotic Foods Eaten in Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Exotic Foods Eaten in Japan

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
The prices look very reasonable for the quantity received. Did you ever try the vending machine variety and how did it compare to the freshly prepared one?
We haven’t been to Japan since just before COVID, but this was a picture from our friends who just got back from Kagoshima. Yes, the prices on these dishes are quite reasonable, and the frozen chicken from this restaurant was supposedly as good as freshly slaughtered.
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 10:07 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by KI-NRT
While staying at Sankara Hotel in Yakushima, they served us a very strange looking crab called Asahigani from Tanegashima. In English, it's sometimes referred to as "Frog Crab" or "Spanner Crab."
I've seen this on food travel shows, and when I was in Sydney a couple months ago, I saw them at a seafood market and bought one. I boiled it up and although it was alright, it wasn't remarkable, and the flesh yield/food value compared to the size of the animal was not great.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:48 am
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by diburning
I've seen this on food travel shows, and when I was in Sydney a couple months ago, I saw them at a seafood market and bought one. I boiled it up and although it was alright, it wasn't remarkable, and the flesh yield/food value compared to the size of the animal was not great.

I pick these off my dog after a jaunt in the woods
Old Aug 17, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by KI-NRT
Everyone's favorite Winter delicacy... the oh so creamy Shirako! (雲子 - Cold Milt)
Originally Posted by freecia
+1 for Shirako at a sushi restaurant in Kanazawa.
Shirako (白子) is not my cup of tea..., am I going to be shamed of this...? Another one along this line is Ankimo (あん肝), which is a liver of monkfish. Ankimo is not cheap served at restaurants, I had it before but it is not on my "like" list.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:18 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Nyotaimori

Anyone? Or, is this a separate category?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:31 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Anyone? Or, is this a separate category?
Obviously, it's the food we're talking about here, not the physical platter on which it's served. There's an example of it in the movie Rising Sun starring Sean Connery. You could start a new thread if you wish to discuss it.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Do you consider Natto (納豆, fermented soybean) as an exotic food? I feel as natto is in a grey area as far as exotic food is concerned. Looking from the inside of Japan natto is everyday food, nothing exotic. However, looking from the outside of Japan natto is something different. It is difficult to find food outside of Japan that is equivalent to natto.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I always though tofuyo (豆腐よう) was rather exotic. It's Ryukyuan fermented tofu marinated using koji and awamori and often aged in Okinawan caves. Not quite as intense as Taiwan's stinky tofu, but still something of an acquired taste.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
Obviously, it's the food we're talking about here, not the physical platter on which it's served. There's an example of it in the movie Rising Sun starring Sean Connery. You could start a new thread if you wish to discuss it.
There is so much to unpack here -- and yes we've (my wife and I) experienced this presentation -- but eastern and western cultures are SO different -- and the training that goes in to being a presentation vehicle is not for the faint of heart -- but it is very respected in Japan -- in a very different than western manner... But I don't think that food presentation art is where OP was going -- and clearly i''m ignoring the Japanese "rationales" (i.e. body temp) for this practice ....
Old Aug 18, 2022, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
There is so much to unpack here -- and yes we've (my wife and I) experienced this presentation -- but eastern and western cultures are SO different -- and the training that goes in to being a presentation vehicle is not for the faint of heart -- but it is very respected in Japan -- in a very different than western manner... But I don't think that food presentation art is where OP was going -- and clearly i''m ignoring the Japanese "rationales" (i.e. body temp) for this practice ....
It's certainly an "exotic" practice and could be worth a thread of its own but it's probably too risqué and controversial for an FT forum. In the West, the practice draws protests from some people when it's performed, so it's likely to be highly divisive, even if only discussed in a forum.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Do you consider Natto (納豆, fermented soybean) as an exotic food? I feel as natto is in a grey area as far as exotic food is concerned. Looking from the inside of Japan natto is everyday food, nothing exotic. However, looking from the outside of Japan natto is something different. It is difficult to find food outside of Japan that is equivalent to natto.
It's not exotic to me (I eat it often) but I can understand it being exotic to many non-Japanese. There's bound to be a conflict between the views of Japanese and foreigners about what Japanese foods are exotic. Since Korea, Taiwan, and China share a similar food culture, there are more similarities between them and Japan than the US and Europe foodwise, but there are still very significant differences. Although I used to consider fugu to be very exotic, after a long residence in Japan, its exoticism has worn off, but I'm certain most foreigners think it exotic, that's why I included it as "exotic" food.
japanesegeek likes this.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Aug 18, 2022 at 1:10 am
Old Aug 23, 2022, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
スッポン or Suppon in Latin letters.

Chinese softshell turtle. I have had it quite a few places, Kagurazaka Ishikawa was kind enough to serve it on turtle shaped plates just to remind us (will have to see if I can find a picture) Suiran in Kyoto brought a cleaned skeleton to the table so we could see what we were eating.

Suppon chawanmushi

Suppon skeleton
YariGuy likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 4:18 am

My introduction to suppon was in a tiny place in northern Hiroshima prefecture. The chef brought it out live, pithed the head and sliced the throat. The blood went directly into small sake glasses. Sake was added, and then we drank it. Supposed to be an aphrodisiac. Then we were served the liver raw while he prepared other dishes for us.
CPH-Flyer and japanesegeek like this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by hijiji
My introduction to suppon was in a tiny place in northern Hiroshima prefecture. The chef brought it out live, pithed the head and sliced the throat. The blood went directly into small sake glasses. Sake was added, and then we drank it. Supposed to be an aphrodisiac. Then we were served the liver raw while he prepared other dishes for us.
A bit more adventurous than the versions I have had....
Old Aug 23, 2022, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Suppon is featured in one scene in the classic Japanese food-related movie Tampopo. A kinda gruesome scene, but looks tasty...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.