Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Former PM Abe Assassinated

Former PM Abe Assassinated

Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Just saw the video. Shooter got the Hinkley treatment immediately. Not much of a plan for a guy that built a gun.
I did also. So so sad.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:42 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Watching coverage now in Nagato with my wife's family -- everyone is in shock (Abe is from Yamaguchi) -- both that he is dead and that this could happen in Japan...

and Inukai Tsuyoshi before that.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
This makes little sense to me. How can they publish such an article which doesn’t really explain anything. Seems very illogical. Oh wait, this is Japan.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...rs-motive.html

Granted nobody really knows but if so why even publish something like this. So he meant to assassinate a religious leader. Who didn’t show up for the event. So he decides to kill Abe, because of his involvement with the same religion? Increasingly sounding like this guy was either just simply crazy or he’s trying to dance around a real motive of killing Abe on behalf of some one or some organization who paid him and he’s coming up with explanations which make no sense as you’d expect from someone also dumb enough to take cash or perhaps pay back loans or other obligations in exchange for committing a crime. But in the latter case you wouldn’t expect him to go through the trouble to make a gun. So I’m leaning towards just a psychopath.

Anyone care to share their thoughts / opinions motive wise? And do you think they are talking about that religion his wife was getting dinged on supporting? They need to investigate how this particular gunman was involved in whatever religious organization they are talking about, if at all. And if he wasn’t then perhaps it was a payoff. And by “they”, I mean the cops in this case.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 1:08 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
This new news story helps clarify things a bit.

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...rs-motive.html
Old Jul 9, 2022, 4:44 pm

Japanese police and/or media do not want to publish the name of the "religious organization" for probably a slew of reasons, hence why they are being vague. By doing so it could lead to the harm of other members, calls for revenge, investigations on the assassin's claims, and would put a spotlight on whether this organization is influencing the government and any corruption involved.

That said, it was inevitable for it to come out, and now Gendai Business News (via Yahoo News) has announced that it is the Unification Church (aka The Moonies), which many already suspected.
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/6b...26786d22ed69d3

If you don't know them, look them up (they are often described as "Christian-fascist"). They are massively influential worldwide and own several media outlets, including UPI. Trump even has links with them and spoke at their events.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by alan11
Japanese police and/or media do not want to publish the name of the "religious organization" for probably a slew of reasons, hence why they are being vague. By doing so it could lead to the harm of other members, calls for revenge, investigations on the assassin's claims, and would put a spotlight on whether this organization is influencing the government and any corruption involved.

That said, it was inevitable for it to come out, and now Gendai Business News (via Yahoo News) has announced that it is the Unification Church (aka The Moonies), which many already suspected.
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/6b...26786d22ed69d3

If you don't know them, look them up (they are often described as "Christian-fascist"). They are massively influential worldwide and own several media outlets, including UPI. Trump even has links with them and spoke at their events.
sorry, you meant cult of nuts led by grifters.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Apparently the suspect's mother had been "influenced" by the "religious organization" to make large donations, putting the family in dire financial straits.

The suspect originally intended to kill leaders of the organization but, finding himself unable to do so, turned his attention to former PM Abe, whom he perceived as having a major role within the organization.

He also mentioned that he had been to a roadside speech that Abe had given the night before in Okayama, so clearly he had been looking for his opportunity for a while now.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I hope Japanese democracy never changes. The politicians should get close to the people. I'm not a fan of the heavy security presence of prominent US politicians.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 5:45 pm

But was Abe actually linked to that organization?
Old Jul 9, 2022, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I hope Japanese democracy never changes.
I hope it very much does change, in that it stops being dominated by a single nationalistic old-boys party that would rather go down with the sinking ship instead of implementing effective change and reforms.

But to do so, it would also mean having an opposition that wasn't utterly inept. But I sometimes have to wonder if the opposition camps are actually such buffoons by design of the LDP.
GUWonder and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alan11
I hope it very much does change, in that it stops being dominated by a single nationalistic old-boys party that would rather go down with the sinking ship instead of implementing effective change and reforms.

But to do so, it would also mean having an opposition that wasn't utterly inept. But I sometimes have to wonder if the opposition camps are actually such buffoons by design of the LDP.

I think you knew what I meant.

The opposition did rule for four years, right? How did that turn out?
​​​​​​​
Old Jul 9, 2022, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by ainternational
But was Abe actually linked to that organization?
Yes. Like any good politician, he may not be a card carrying "member", but he linked himself with whatever group which would provide votes, support, and money, as long as the group was tenable to his beliefs, which were ultra-conservative.

Abe was a big fan far-right group Nippon Kaigi, but he also gave speeches for the Unification Church, and the LDP (Abe's Party) had long standing ties with them as well.

This article gives some details, but now that the Moonies are being named, I'm sure more links will soon be uncovered.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-tetsuya-yamagami-japan-prime-minister-shinzo-abe/

But here's a nice little nugget from 2006 (back when Abe had his first tenure as PM) found though the power of Google:
https://www.japan-press.co.jp/2006/2499/cult.html
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 6:10 pm

The opposition did rule for four years, right? How did that turn out?
​​​​​​​Exactly what I meant with them being inept.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
The opposition did rule for four years, right? How did that turn out?​​​​​​​
Japan's is not a two party system. There is more than one "opposition".
Old Jul 9, 2022, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Japan's is not a two party system. There is more than one "opposition".
I know, but it's interesting that LDP has dominated politics since the end of World War II.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.