Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Former PM Abe Assassinated

Former PM Abe Assassinated

Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:34 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by hailstorm
TV Asahi had some amateur footage of the attack itself. The guy got really close to Abe. I think he was about five meters away with his first shot, and then walked closer still and was about three or four meters away when he fired the second. He probably had to be that close to make contact with that crappy gun of his.

Can you imagine someone being able to just walk up within 10 feet behind Bill Clinton while he was giving a campaign speech for Hillary? With a gun??
I've heard that security has been very lax with him so he can get closer to the people when he talks. Even during his prime ministership.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by seigex
I've heard that security has been very lax with him so he can get closer to the people when he talks. Even during his prime ministership.
That's how a democracy should be. The people should be allowed to get close to the politicians, but sadly, there is always the risk of violence.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:40 am

Does anyone know the order of levels of condition of a patient? Is grave better or worse than serious for example?
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Does anyone know the order of levels of condition of a patient? Is grave better or worse than serious for example?
I don't remember the actual definitions from my police days, but iirc grave typically means their vitals are completely unstable and their condition is trending downward. It doesn't mean guaranteed fatal, but significant intervention is needed to save the person. Critical also means they have unstable vitals and dire but not quite as dire. Grave is the worst. The order is:

Grave <- worst
Critical
Serious
Fair
Good <- best
lsquare and DragonSoul like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:57 am

Now being reported that he has died. This is absolutely terrible.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...nara-shooting/
LETTERBOY and ainternational like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
CNN is now reporting that Abe is dead. We can now correctly say Abe has been assassinated.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 4:32 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Watching coverage now in Nagato with my wife's family -- everyone is in shock (Abe is from Yamaguchi) -- both that he is dead and that this could happen in Japan...
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:00 am
mjm
Original Member

A few years ago at the Women In Business Summit in Tokyo hosted in association with the American Chamber of Commerce in Japan, the speaker, I believe it was then U.S. Ambassador Caroline Kennedy, finished her remarks and the attendees in the large hall were asked to remain seated and not leave the room. We all looked at one another with curious eyes not knowing why this request had been made. The doors were all shut and security personnel appeared quietly at each entrance. The lights dimmed and then, to the surprise of all, out came the next, and unscheduled, speaker, Prime Minster Shinzo Abe. He was impressive, engaging, warm, and most of all he made it clear that he was truly an ally of women in business. He impressed me mightily that day and on several occasions afterwards as well. Today I stand with my friends and colleagues here in Japan in sadness at the horrible loss. Such a tragedy. May his leadership long be remembered.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:21 am

Horrible and sad news. Condolences to the people.
LETTERBOY, invalyd and seigex like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:32 am

Very shocking and sad.

Not trying to make light of the situation at all, but it reminds me of that 90s movie In The Line of Fire where the bad guy fabricated is own gun in order to shoot the POTUS. it was the first thing I thought of when the news reported the the shooter has a homemade gun.
LETTERBOY and Topcare like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
A sad ending.

But it's going to be interesting to see what line obituarists will take on Abe's political career.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 7:32 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, QFF WP, Velocity Gold
Unfortunate

His time was marred with scandals such as the moritomo gakuen incident so agree it will be interesting to see what people say
Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
There's a video on YouTube showing the shooting. The suspect got really close, but it's probably necessary for his homemade gun. I find campaigning to be much different in other parts of the world. With guns being so easily accessible, security for the presidential candidates will be different.
Just saw the video. Shooter got the Hinkley treatment immediately. Not much of a plan for a guy that built a gun.
LETTERBOY and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:07 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by mjm

A few years ago at the Women In Business Summit in Tokyo hosted in association with the American Chamber of Commerce in Japan, the speaker, I believe it was then U.S. Ambassador Caroline Kennedy, finished her remarks and the attendees in the large hall were asked to remain seated and not leave the room. We all looked at one another with curious eyes not knowing why this request had been made. The doors were all shut and security personnel appeared quietly at each entrance. The lights dimmed and then, to the surprise of all, out came the next, and unscheduled, speaker, Prime Minster Shinzo Abe. He was impressive, engaging, warm, and most of all he made it clear that he was truly an ally of women in business. He impressed me mightily that day and on several occasions afterwards as well. Today I stand with my friends and colleagues here in Japan in sadness at the horrible loss. Such a tragedy. May his leadership long be remembered.
Your post brought a tear to my eye, old friend. Very very sad news. I hope we figure out the motive, but I am guessing it was just another mentally unstable person like many/most of the random more mass killings in the US.

I feel like Abe was overall well liked in Japan. Folks told me he was Japans version of Obama from a voter popularity perspective but I dont understand Japanese politics enough to know if that makes sense or not.

This will change Japan forever for certain, since its so unprecedented. Mental health in Japan (and every country especially the US) really needs to be better managed in general. We have some crazy goddam people doing insane stuff and I feel like we need to be better at recognizing troubled individuals before things like this happen. Granted sometimes you cant because they hide it so well but sheesh, these young male US shooters in hindsight now we know often basically said what they were going to do online or to others beforehand and nobody thought to be worried. Thats what Im talking about. Of course in Japan its less likely anyone would say anything. But still, we as a society in general across the globe need to do better. Do more.

Such a tragedy.

Thanks for your thoughtful post mjm.
mjm likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:41 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Off topic and offensive posts deleted. Please take all irrelevant discussion to OMNI/PR.

Regards,
armagebedar

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.