Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: etgohomeok
UPDATE Sept. 22, 2022: JAPAN WILL NO LONGER REQUIRE VISAS AS OF OCTOBER 11, 2022. As of October 11, Japan will resume visa-free entry to nationals from qualifying countries. Individuals traveling to Japan after this date DO NOT need to obtain an ERFS and visa to enter the country for individual tourism. The information below is for posterity and/or people who wish to travel to Japan prior to this change going into effect.

UPDATE Sept. 12, 2022: News media is reporting rumors of an imminent announcement which may include the reinstatement of visa waivers. Such an announcement would make most of the information below obsolete. Travelers who do not need visas immediately are advised to wait until we know more.

Overview

Until further notice, a visa is required from all foreigners to enter Japan. The visa-waiver program which previously allowed visa-free entry to nationals from certain countries has been suspended. In order to obtain a visa, a receiving agency must sponsor your application by issuing you an ERFS (Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System) certificate. ERFS certificates may be issued for a variety of reasons, including tourism, in which case a licensed travel agency must sponsor your visa application.

Tourism

As of September 7, 2022, tourists may enter Japan on unguided, unaccompanied tours as long as they are sponsored by a travel agency who arranges their flights and accommodations and acts as a point of contact for the duration of their stay in the country in the event of issues including a COVID infection. Some official documents from the Japanese government have attempted to clarify this policy (and, most notably, what it means for a receiving agency to "arrange" flights and accommodations), however in practice it has been left up to the interpretation of the sponsoring agencies. Due to the lack of clarity, there is a range of interpretations with some agencies insisting on purchasing all airfare and hotel reservations on behalf of the traveler, with others allowing travelers to keep their existing reservations as long as they share the details with them. The exact offerings and pricing from specific agencies is changing rapidly, consult this thread for the latest information.

As of now there have been no reports of denied visas or entry into the country from anyone who had a valid ERFS from a legitimate travel agency. Individuals from Australia have reported difficulties booking visa appointments, so Aussies may want to contact their local consulate and ensure they can do so before paying for a tour package/ERFS.

Visa Application and Arrival Process

The following roughly outlines the steps for obtaining a visa and entering the country:
  1. First, the traveler must obtain an ERFS certificate from their sponsoring agency. Who issues the ERFS depends on the reason for entering the country (business travelers should obtain it from the company they are visiting, tourists should obtain it from a travel agency who is arranging their visit, etc.). The ERFS certificate is a one-page document summarizing key information about the traveler and their sponsor. An example of an ERFS certificate is provided here.
  2. Once the ERFS is obtained, travelers must apply for a visa from their local Japanese consulate. Travelers from some countries (currently only the USA and Canada) may apply for an eVisa online. This process is faster and easier than physically visiting a consulate so it is recommended for anyone who has access to it.
  3. Visitors who are fully vaccinated with three doses of approved vaccine do not need to obtain a COVID test prior to traveling to Japan. A primary series consisting of one dose of J&J/Janssen is treated as two doses for the purpose of meeting these criteria (see here). Vaccination information should be submitted using the MySOS app and travelers should ensure they have a "blue screen" in the app prior to boarding their flight. Information available here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What other documents are required for the visa application? Do I need an itinerary document?
A: For an eVisa application you only need to submit your ERFS and passport. No other supporting documentation is necessary. In-person applications may ask for more documentation and you should verify what documents are required with your local consulate.

Q: What documents are required to board a plane and enter the country?
A: Travelers who have reported their experiences have said they were asked to show their MySOS "blue screen" and their visa/eVisa by both the airline (prior to boarding their flight) and by customs (after landing in Japan). If you have an eVisa, make sure you can load the digital version of the actual eVisa website on your phone (not just the PDF) in Japan over data or WiFi, because these have a rotating QR code.

Q: What if I don't want to stay at a hotel and want to stay at a friend's house/Airbnb/couch-surfing/etc.?
A: Current tourism guidelines suggest that a travel agency is supposed to "arrange accommodations" for your time in Japan. As such, you should contact your travel agency to ask them what types of accommodations in Japan they will allow. It is advisable to book a hotel in Japan for at least your first night in the country prior to applying for a visa since the visa application asks for this information. Note that hotels in Japan are currently very cheap, especially with the weakened Yen.

Q: What if I'm not traveling for (x) amount of time? When should I get an ERFS and apply for a visa?
A: Visas are only valid for 90 days after they are issued, so you should wait until your trip is at least within the next three months. There is also a good chance that the Japanese government will move to further relax entry requirements (including, possibly, re-instating the visa-waiver program which would make this entire process obsolete) in the coming months, so you should wait until your individual planning process requires you to have some assurance that you'll be able to enter the country. We may also see more competition among travel agencies offering bare-bones tour packages in the coming weeks, which could drive prices down.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2022, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...ng-2022-05-17/
Old May 17, 2022, 2:38 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
It’s a start, as said before not likely to be big progress till after the elections in late July
Old May 17, 2022, 4:15 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by YorkieFlyer
It’s a start, as said before not likely to be big progress till after the elections in late July
Plenty on this in the main thread. Mods please consolidate
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 7:21 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Meanwhile, ANA is increasing A380 flights to Hawai'i.

Maybe the world should just allow Japanese visitors on guided tours, too. In the U.S., they would go to Cicero, Illinois and Lubbock. In France, CDG Terminal 1.

/sarcasm
Old May 17, 2022, 10:04 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Talking Watch out.

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Meanwhile, ANA is increasing A380 flights to Hawai'i.
Maybe the world should just allow Japanese visitors on guided tours, too. In the U.S., they would go to Cicero, Illinois and Lubbock. In France, CDG Terminal 1.
/sarcasm
I would keenly lead our Japanese visitors on tours of Cicero, IL. - starting with Scatchell's Italian Beef (cash only), and Taqueria Aguascalientes. With their provided with tour package, 7-day Ventra ticket (no need to pay extra for any Chicago Transit Authority vehicles - compare with Tokyo Metro and Toei train lines), any number of astounding venues in metropolitan Chicago.
I also sway into sarcasm at points.
But, dare me.
Old May 18, 2022, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by pudgym29
I would keenly lead our Japanese visitors on tours of Cicero, IL. - starting with Scatchell's Italian Beef (cash only), and Taqueria Aguascalientes. With their provided with tour package, 7-day Ventra ticket (no need to pay extra for any Chicago Transit Authority vehicles - compare with Tokyo Metro and Toei train lines), any number of astounding venues in metropolitan Chicago.
I also sway into sarcasm at points.
But, dare me.
And if they wanted to stray into downtown Chicago, they'd be required to put ketchup on hot dogs.
Old May 19, 2022, 5:37 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
And if they wanted to stray into downtown Chicago, they'd be required to put ketchup on hot dogs.
Hot dogs are gross but if I was going to eat one, I would slather it in ketchup. But as a native Chicagoan, I would always prefer deep dish to lips and holes.
FlyingSloth likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 8:08 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Exclamation I'd keep them on the track.

If they did try to order a hot dog with ketchup, they would be as swiftly identified as {"foreigner" | gaijin} as any English-speaking person would be in Japan.
You know what; just for the audacity of suggesting our guests might try something like this, I would bring them to a shack {it deserves no higher classification} which would stress how significant this is.
Were I ever to sidetrack from food culture in Japan, I (sus|ex)pect a local would do this for me.
Old May 20, 2022, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Moderator please read

I started this thread but it has degenerated into something totally unrelated to Japan opening. Can you please delete the thread?
Old May 20, 2022, 12:47 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
don't like people having fun, eh?
Old May 20, 2022, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by estnet
I started this thread but it has degenerated into something totally unrelated to Japan opening. Can you please delete the thread?
and you can go and read the other one next time. :-)
seigex likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by estnet
The world is open for Japan, but not vice-versa. Expats living in Japan are more annoyed than the Japanese that Japan is planning its reopening.

Haven't you cottoned on to the germane and playful barbs in this thread?

​​​​​​When more news from the government pencil pushers leaks, we can discuss it here.
Old May 20, 2022, 9:49 pm

The world is open for Japan, but not vice-versa. Expats living in Japan are more annoyed than the Japanese that Japan is planning its reopening.

Haven't you cottoned on to the germane and playful barbs in this thread?

​​​​​​When more news from the government pencil pushers leaks, we can discuss it here.
You really nailed it!
Topcare likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Expats living in Japan are more annoyed than the Japanese that Japan is planning its reopening.
Ah, the expats are at fault, of course. Really the party has never ended here ! It's a laugh a minute, interspersed with eating delicious katsu and sushi. If you can show up with enough dosh at an immigration lawyers office , you too can come join the party.
Old May 20, 2022, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Japanese people tend to travel in tour groups, but I suspect that independent tourists spend more per person on average in Japan than those on package tours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.