Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: etgohomeok
UPDATE Sept. 22, 2022: JAPAN WILL NO LONGER REQUIRE VISAS AS OF OCTOBER 11, 2022. As of October 11, Japan will resume visa-free entry to nationals from qualifying countries. Individuals traveling to Japan after this date DO NOT need to obtain an ERFS and visa to enter the country for individual tourism. The information below is for posterity and/or people who wish to travel to Japan prior to this change going into effect.

UPDATE Sept. 12, 2022: News media is reporting rumors of an imminent announcement which may include the reinstatement of visa waivers. Such an announcement would make most of the information below obsolete. Travelers who do not need visas immediately are advised to wait until we know more.

Overview

Until further notice, a visa is required from all foreigners to enter Japan. The visa-waiver program which previously allowed visa-free entry to nationals from certain countries has been suspended. In order to obtain a visa, a receiving agency must sponsor your application by issuing you an ERFS (Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System) certificate. ERFS certificates may be issued for a variety of reasons, including tourism, in which case a licensed travel agency must sponsor your visa application.

Tourism

As of September 7, 2022, tourists may enter Japan on unguided, unaccompanied tours as long as they are sponsored by a travel agency who arranges their flights and accommodations and acts as a point of contact for the duration of their stay in the country in the event of issues including a COVID infection. Some official documents from the Japanese government have attempted to clarify this policy (and, most notably, what it means for a receiving agency to "arrange" flights and accommodations), however in practice it has been left up to the interpretation of the sponsoring agencies. Due to the lack of clarity, there is a range of interpretations with some agencies insisting on purchasing all airfare and hotel reservations on behalf of the traveler, with others allowing travelers to keep their existing reservations as long as they share the details with them. The exact offerings and pricing from specific agencies is changing rapidly, consult this thread for the latest information.

As of now there have been no reports of denied visas or entry into the country from anyone who had a valid ERFS from a legitimate travel agency. Individuals from Australia have reported difficulties booking visa appointments, so Aussies may want to contact their local consulate and ensure they can do so before paying for a tour package/ERFS.

Visa Application and Arrival Process

The following roughly outlines the steps for obtaining a visa and entering the country:
  1. First, the traveler must obtain an ERFS certificate from their sponsoring agency. Who issues the ERFS depends on the reason for entering the country (business travelers should obtain it from the company they are visiting, tourists should obtain it from a travel agency who is arranging their visit, etc.). The ERFS certificate is a one-page document summarizing key information about the traveler and their sponsor. An example of an ERFS certificate is provided here.
  2. Once the ERFS is obtained, travelers must apply for a visa from their local Japanese consulate. Travelers from some countries (currently only the USA and Canada) may apply for an eVisa online. This process is faster and easier than physically visiting a consulate so it is recommended for anyone who has access to it.
  3. Visitors who are fully vaccinated with three doses of approved vaccine do not need to obtain a COVID test prior to traveling to Japan. A primary series consisting of one dose of J&J/Janssen is treated as two doses for the purpose of meeting these criteria (see here). Vaccination information should be submitted using the MySOS app and travelers should ensure they have a "blue screen" in the app prior to boarding their flight. Information available here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What other documents are required for the visa application? Do I need an itinerary document?
A: For an eVisa application you only need to submit your ERFS and passport. No other supporting documentation is necessary. In-person applications may ask for more documentation and you should verify what documents are required with your local consulate.

Q: What documents are required to board a plane and enter the country?
A: Travelers who have reported their experiences have said they were asked to show their MySOS "blue screen" and their visa/eVisa by both the airline (prior to boarding their flight) and by customs (after landing in Japan). If you have an eVisa, make sure you can load the digital version of the actual eVisa website on your phone (not just the PDF) in Japan over data or WiFi, because these have a rotating QR code.

Q: What if I don't want to stay at a hotel and want to stay at a friend's house/Airbnb/couch-surfing/etc.?
A: Current tourism guidelines suggest that a travel agency is supposed to "arrange accommodations" for your time in Japan. As such, you should contact your travel agency to ask them what types of accommodations in Japan they will allow. It is advisable to book a hotel in Japan for at least your first night in the country prior to applying for a visa since the visa application asks for this information. Note that hotels in Japan are currently very cheap, especially with the weakened Yen.

Q: What if I'm not traveling for (x) amount of time? When should I get an ERFS and apply for a visa?
A: Visas are only valid for 90 days after they are issued, so you should wait until your trip is at least within the next three months. There is also a good chance that the Japanese government will move to further relax entry requirements (including, possibly, re-instating the visa-waiver program which would make this entire process obsolete) in the coming months, so you should wait until your individual planning process requires you to have some assurance that you'll be able to enter the country. We may also see more competition among travel agencies offering bare-bones tour packages in the coming weeks, which could drive prices down.

Print Wikipost

Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
My friend was surprised at how busy the station was, and I thought it was absolutely deserted for what was supposed to be morning peak time. It does really depend on your frame of reference.
So you would use the term "dead empty" to describe that situation? With no qualifiers whatsoever?
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by hailstorm
So you would use the term "dead empty" to describe that situation? With no qualifiers whatsoever?
I used the term absolutely deserted, which on the face of it was not entirely true as we were not the only people there. But compared to how I know Shinagawa station can look, it is kind of descriptive.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Some people just have a lot of time on their hands. Have you seen them at the stations, sitting on a little stool with a clicker counting passerby numbers?
jib71 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I used the term absolutely deserted, which on the face of it was not entirely true as we were not the only people there. But compared to how I know Shinagawa station can look, it is kind of descriptive.
Your friend was there with you, so it was clear that you were using colorful language to describe the contrast between the crowding that you are used to, and not literally describing the place as absolutely deserted.

But the poster of the friend that claimed that Japan tourist attractions are "dead empty" did not have such a visual aid, so I still contend that the use of such language was an inaccurate representation of the actual situation.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 4:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Japan tourism after COVID: Industry aims for more sustainable boom - Nikkei Asia

Interesting article, but further confirms to me that they are still intent on tourism being restricted and controlled rather than open tourism. It could just mean that they will put more resources in to convincing people to go to places other than kyoto/tokyo, but I think it means expanded package tours will become the norm for a while.

Now, as Japan takes tentative steps toward reviving the industry, experts say it has a chance to consider what kind of destination it wants to be. It could also address some of the problems that accompanied the first boom. Less-known destinations like Hachinohe could play a major role

Promoting these withering locales could help revitalize their economies. Doing so could also help alleviate some of the pressures of "overtourism" at more popular destinations -- especially if Japan is still shooting for 60 million visitors by 2030, in line with its pre-pandemic goal.

Experts say the rush of visitors to Kyoto, Osaka and Tokyo overwhelmed local residents. The serene temples and shrines of Kyoto, for example, were often thronged with selfie-snapping visitors.

"As far as long-term planning goes, what is really needed is a strategy to consider moving tourists throughout the country rather than having them concentrated in the main areas," Cheer said. "That needs to come with government support, to develop infrastructure, training, and give local destinations the capacity to welcome international tourists."

There could also be opportunities in the burgeoning field of online tourism. During the pandemic, online tours have spread as a temporary cure for wanderlust. Norihiko Imaizumi, a senior fellow at the Dai-ichi Life Research Institute think tank, said these digital trips could become a gateway for actual travel. He suggested a particularly promising market would be senior travelers who have the "time and money to try online tourism" first.
There was also an interesting tidbit around a push to provide more support for digital nomads since they are more likely to go places outside of the traditional tourist spots. They are really intent on tourists not going back to Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto.

"I think that the 'democratization' of the digital nomad is the biggest impact of this pandemic on tourism," he said, in that it has made the lifestyle more accessible.

Digital nomads who stay in the country for a longer period than the typical tourist would have time to explore the countryside, too. "A major issue for Japan's inbound tourism is that the so-called Golden Route of Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto is the only route that can attract visitors," Shibata said. "This could be fundamentally improved."
Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:30 am

Programs: QAPC Gold, BAEC
First post...

...and without wishing to start on a negative, the bit about diverting tourists away from prime tourist spots sounds like a lot of guff to me. It's approaching the realms of fantasy to even entertain the thought that somewhere as far off the beaten track as Hachinohe could become a premier destination for tourists with limited time in the country. For the more dedicated, boutique traveler, maybe.
ShopAround, LETTERBOY, m.y and 2 others like this.

Last edited by shohmyoh; Jul 19, 2022 at 6:47 am
Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by seigex
especially if Japan is still shooting for 60 million visitors by 2030, in line with its pre-pandemic goal.
If there are actually going to be 60 million tourists per year (essentially double the all time high of 2019), it will not be achieved without massive over-tourism in not just the Golden Route spots like Tokyo and Kyoto, but even in the relatively un-visited countryside places.

(I live in one of these non-visited yet diamond-in-the-rough places. I shudder to think what would happen if it was put on the mainstream tourist map in any substantial way.)
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by shohmyoh
...and without wishing to start on a negative, the bit about diverting tourists away from prime tourist spots sounds like a lot of guff to me. It's approaching the realms of fantasy to even entertain the thought that somewhere as far off the beaten track as Hachinohe could become a premier destination for tourists with limited time in the country. For the more dedicated, boutique traveler, maybe.
Exactly. I work in tourism and deal daily with customized itineraries based on what clients request. If someone has never been to Japan, you can't tell them to go to Hachinohe instead of Tokyo.

And of course, this isn't unique to Japan. If a client wants to visit London on their first trip to England, I'm not going to send them to Brighton because there are too many tourists where they want to go.

And I say this as someone who has to put up with overtourism myself. I live in Manhattan and fondly recall the days when you could walk through Times Square without being bombarded by mobs of people. But those same people spend money in my city that contributes to our economy (not to mention my livelihood ), so I fight my way through the crowds and suck it up... and after we suffered for lack of those tourists the past couple of years, I'm actually appreciative that they're here.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by seigex
There was also an interesting tidbit around a push to provide more support for digital nomads since they are more likely to go places outside of the traditional tourist spots. They are really intent on tourists not going back to Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto.
Much of Japan is a bit expensive for digital nomads, if they define that to be a remote worker staying weeks to months in a locale cheaper than their domestic market. There's some middle ground between a share house and AirBnB licensing restricting local market, plus general rental market being somewhat complicated for newer resident foreigners. Other SE Asian markets appeal to digital nomads https://nomadlist.com/asia

MOT and local tourism boards did sponsor a lot of vloggers to promote non-triangle tourism spots, even into the pandemic.

A lot of recent pre-pandemic tourists come from China, South Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. https://statistics.jnto.go.jp/en/gra...rs--transition Stopping tax free shopping at chain/department stores and only allowing it for crafts people or domestically produced goods would probably disperse some of the tourism hotspot congestion. I'm not sure a change like this would matter with the current value of JP yen or if it would help longer term if the yen strengthens. I'm sure it would impact sales and big business & luxury goods sector would be unhappy. Shopping accounts for a bit more than half of the trip expenditure for tourism travelers from China in 2019. 46% for Chinese business travelers. . https://public.tableau.com/shared/XX9YC8S3K?:toolbar=n&:display_count=n&rigin=viz_ share_link&:embed=y

Last edited by freecia; Jul 19, 2022 at 4:16 pm
Old Jul 19, 2022, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
Much of Japan is a bit expensive for digital nomads, if they define that to be a remote worker staying weeks to months in a locale cheaper than their domestic market.
For any digital nomad coming from the US, Japan is absolutely a cheaper locale.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I have mixed feelings about this. I remember a few years back in Sapporo, taking a train to Otaru, and having to deal with a massive horde of supremely unpleasant Chinese tourists that were occupying every possible sitting and standing space on the train. I had no idea where they were going, but thankfully they got off a couple of stops out of Sapporo and cleared out the train. Probably some location where they needed to tick off from some list of "places you need to visit before you die."

I also recall traveling the Alpen Route during the height of China-Japan tensions (and travel to Japan was "discouraged", and seeing thousands of them milling about. Talking to one of the train staff, she said this was nothing crowd-wise compared to the times when tensions were lower.

If you want 60 million tourists dispersed all over Japan, you're going to need the infrastructure in the inaka to handle them. Good luck with that.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alan11
If there are actually going to be 60 million tourists per year (essentially double the all time high of 2019), it will not be achieved without massive over-tourism in not just the Golden Route spots like Tokyo and Kyoto, but even in the relatively un-visited countryside places.

(I live in one of these non-visited yet diamond-in-the-rough places. I shudder to think what would happen if it was put on the mainstream tourist map in any substantial way.)
NIMBY......in Japan.......say it isn't so.

Originally Posted by freecia
Much of Japan is a bit expensive for digital nomads, if they define that to be a remote worker staying weeks to months in a locale cheaper than their domestic market. There's some middle ground between a share house and AirBnB licensing restricting local market, plus general rental market being somewhat complicated for newer resident foreigners. Other SE Asian markets appeal to digital nomads https://nomadlist.com/asia

MOT and local tourism boards did sponsor a lot of vloggers to promote non-triangle tourism spots, even into the pandemic.

A lot of recent pre-pandemic tourists come from China, South Korea, Taiwan, and Hong Kong. https://statistics.jnto.go.jp/en/gra...rs--transition Stopping tax free shopping at chain/department stores and only allowing it for crafts people or domestically produced goods would probably disperse some of the tourism hotspot congestion. I'm not sure a change like this would matter with the current value of JP yen or if it would help longer term if the yen strengthens. I'm sure it would impact sales and big business & luxury goods sector would be unhappy. Shopping accounts for a bit more than half of the trip expenditure for tourism travelers from China in 2019. 46% for Chinese business travelers. . https://public.tableau.com/shared/XX9YC8S3K?:toolbar=n&:display_count=n&rigin=viz_ share_link&:embed=y
I agree , the "business" is said shopping ! I agree that "made is Japan" should be the criteria. Whether it be Bourbon chocolates , Arita pottery, Toyota Crowns. Why should the tax free and multinational brand shop chains be beneficial recipients of the tax free shopping largess ?
Old Jul 19, 2022, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
NIMBY......in Japan.......say it isn't so.
I say this because my town does not have the infrastructure to cope, if only for the roads.

Every year pre-covid during Golden Week and Obon (and a few other holiday weekends) the roads would be jam packed with day trippers, mostly in long stagnant lines of vehicles waiting to simply park. The back-up at those times could be 2km long. However, there is no bypass route. This is along the main (and only) road through the area, so circumventing for just going about one's normal life means going around a couple mountains (so adding 45-60 minutes in drive time).

Ironically, people come here specifically in the belief they are escaping to the empty countryside... but at those times its probably more crowded than where they are coming from.

Yes, people here accept it during these holiday times, but to even have half that amount every day of the week would be a logistical nightmare. And I know that my town is not alone in such issues.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
I have mixed feelings about this. I remember a few years back in Sapporo, taking a train to Otaru, and having to deal with a massive horde of supremely unpleasant Chinese tourists that were occupying every possible sitting and standing space on the train. I had no idea where they were going, but thankfully they got off a couple of stops out of Sapporo and cleared out the train. Probably some location where they needed to tick off from some list of "places you need to visit before you die."

I also recall traveling the Alpen Route during the height of China-Japan tensions (and travel to Japan was "discouraged", and seeing thousands of them milling about. Talking to one of the train staff, she said this was nothing crowd-wise compared to the times when tensions were lower.

If you want 60 million tourists dispersed all over Japan, you're going to need the infrastructure in the inaka to handle them. Good luck with that.
What's the "mixed"? Everything you relayed here is 100% negative.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by ShopAround
Exactly. I work in tourism and deal daily with customized itineraries based on what clients request. If someone has never been to Japan, you can't tell them to go to Hachinohe instead of Tokyo.

And of course, this isn't unique to Japan. If a client wants to visit London on their first trip to England, I'm not going to send them to Brighton because there are too many tourists where they want to go.

And I say this as someone who has to put up with overtourism myself. I live in Manhattan and fondly recall the days when you could walk through Times Square without being bombarded by mobs of people. But those same people spend money in my city that contributes to our economy (not to mention my livelihood ), so I fight my way through the crowds and suck it up... and after we suffered for lack of those tourists the past couple of years, I'm actually appreciative that they're here.
so true. And clearly everyone but Japan (China excluded since they are still nuta) prepared to open up with risks and accept the significant influx to tourism cash to a totally battered travel industry.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.