Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: etgohomeok
UPDATE Sept. 22, 2022: JAPAN WILL NO LONGER REQUIRE VISAS AS OF OCTOBER 11, 2022. As of October 11, Japan will resume visa-free entry to nationals from qualifying countries. Individuals traveling to Japan after this date DO NOT need to obtain an ERFS and visa to enter the country for individual tourism. The information below is for posterity and/or people who wish to travel to Japan prior to this change going into effect.

UPDATE Sept. 12, 2022: News media is reporting rumors of an imminent announcement which may include the reinstatement of visa waivers. Such an announcement would make most of the information below obsolete. Travelers who do not need visas immediately are advised to wait until we know more.

Overview

Until further notice, a visa is required from all foreigners to enter Japan. The visa-waiver program which previously allowed visa-free entry to nationals from certain countries has been suspended. In order to obtain a visa, a receiving agency must sponsor your application by issuing you an ERFS (Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System) certificate. ERFS certificates may be issued for a variety of reasons, including tourism, in which case a licensed travel agency must sponsor your visa application.

Tourism

As of September 7, 2022, tourists may enter Japan on unguided, unaccompanied tours as long as they are sponsored by a travel agency who arranges their flights and accommodations and acts as a point of contact for the duration of their stay in the country in the event of issues including a COVID infection. Some official documents from the Japanese government have attempted to clarify this policy (and, most notably, what it means for a receiving agency to "arrange" flights and accommodations), however in practice it has been left up to the interpretation of the sponsoring agencies. Due to the lack of clarity, there is a range of interpretations with some agencies insisting on purchasing all airfare and hotel reservations on behalf of the traveler, with others allowing travelers to keep their existing reservations as long as they share the details with them. The exact offerings and pricing from specific agencies is changing rapidly, consult this thread for the latest information.

As of now there have been no reports of denied visas or entry into the country from anyone who had a valid ERFS from a legitimate travel agency. Individuals from Australia have reported difficulties booking visa appointments, so Aussies may want to contact their local consulate and ensure they can do so before paying for a tour package/ERFS.

Visa Application and Arrival Process

The following roughly outlines the steps for obtaining a visa and entering the country:
  1. First, the traveler must obtain an ERFS certificate from their sponsoring agency. Who issues the ERFS depends on the reason for entering the country (business travelers should obtain it from the company they are visiting, tourists should obtain it from a travel agency who is arranging their visit, etc.). The ERFS certificate is a one-page document summarizing key information about the traveler and their sponsor. An example of an ERFS certificate is provided here.
  2. Once the ERFS is obtained, travelers must apply for a visa from their local Japanese consulate. Travelers from some countries (currently only the USA and Canada) may apply for an eVisa online. This process is faster and easier than physically visiting a consulate so it is recommended for anyone who has access to it.
  3. Visitors who are fully vaccinated with three doses of approved vaccine do not need to obtain a COVID test prior to traveling to Japan. A primary series consisting of one dose of J&J/Janssen is treated as two doses for the purpose of meeting these criteria (see here). Vaccination information should be submitted using the MySOS app and travelers should ensure they have a "blue screen" in the app prior to boarding their flight. Information available here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What other documents are required for the visa application? Do I need an itinerary document?
A: For an eVisa application you only need to submit your ERFS and passport. No other supporting documentation is necessary. In-person applications may ask for more documentation and you should verify what documents are required with your local consulate.

Q: What documents are required to board a plane and enter the country?
A: Travelers who have reported their experiences have said they were asked to show their MySOS "blue screen" and their visa/eVisa by both the airline (prior to boarding their flight) and by customs (after landing in Japan). If you have an eVisa, make sure you can load the digital version of the actual eVisa website on your phone (not just the PDF) in Japan over data or WiFi, because these have a rotating QR code.

Q: What if I don't want to stay at a hotel and want to stay at a friend's house/Airbnb/couch-surfing/etc.?
A: Current tourism guidelines suggest that a travel agency is supposed to "arrange accommodations" for your time in Japan. As such, you should contact your travel agency to ask them what types of accommodations in Japan they will allow. It is advisable to book a hotel in Japan for at least your first night in the country prior to applying for a visa since the visa application asks for this information. Note that hotels in Japan are currently very cheap, especially with the weakened Yen.

Q: What if I'm not traveling for (x) amount of time? When should I get an ERFS and apply for a visa?
A: Visas are only valid for 90 days after they are issued, so you should wait until your trip is at least within the next three months. There is also a good chance that the Japanese government will move to further relax entry requirements (including, possibly, re-instating the visa-waiver program which would make this entire process obsolete) in the coming months, so you should wait until your individual planning process requires you to have some assurance that you'll be able to enter the country. We may also see more competition among travel agencies offering bare-bones tour packages in the coming weeks, which could drive prices down.

Print Wikipost

Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, United Silver
My question if anyone knows - I have the EFRS, but I'm assuming that if I apply for eVisa, the 90 day Visa starts the day it is accepted and approved?

Or is it based on the landing stamp? I ask as I plan to go Oct 30 -> Dec 28 (long vacation to go around, tour places and visit friends), so if it's based on visa approval, I shouldn't apply before the end of this month?
Old Sep 8, 2022, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dvydra
Intriguing. Any experience with them?
what I’m learning this month is that most travel agents have terrible websites.
All Japanese corporate websites are terrible. Pages of flow charts, arrows, various boxes that are often linked by random arrows and 6 paragraphs of writing to try and explain what should take one sentence, all wrapped around a layer of vagueness designed to protect the business in case of a misunderstanding on pages stuffed full of content and photos, sometimes with a smiling cartoon character to help lead you through it.

Case in point, all of the head scratching and confusion in this very thread about whether or not the tour operator needs to book travel for the customer - or not. It’s a simple question that needs one simple, definitive yes or no.
alan11 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 7:34 pm
McG

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by justcry22
Does each passenger have to download the mysos app ? do we need internet to access the app ?
I believe so.

From what others have posted the airports have Wi-Fi that allows you to connect to the internet to access the app.
justcry22 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 7:34 pm

No experience with them. I havde a friend looking to visit me here in Japan this autumn who is wrangling with the whole ERFS mess. He mentioned them as one place he was looking into (also a place called Japan Adventure Tours, but he didn't like them). He didn't say though what the deal with Holigoes was.

And as far as crummy uninformative websites, it isn't just for travel agents, but Japan as a whole.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 7:43 pm

Programs: ANA Mileage Club
Anyone who has gotten the itinerary from JGA able to share with me what all it asks for? Namely, is it simply city/accommodation, or do you need to have activity details as well? My partner and I are in the middle of eVISA application (Seattle) and we have been asked for our itinerary as additional documentation. I haven't seen anyone else mention being asked for this, however, we have a particularly long trip planned (2.5 months) so I was sort of expecting this would raise questions when we applied. However, JGA did not provide us with an itinerary. I have just emailed to ask for one but suspect I may be waiting a bit to get it. Just anxious and hoping to get an idea of what to expect.

Also would love to hear from anyone else who might have a long trip planned who is going through this process and what their experience has been, or anyone else (regardless of trip length) who has been asked to provide an itinerary for their eVISA.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
MySOS is already blue, good to go! I got my j&j/Modena CDC certificate kicked back to me saying I need to include all three doses on it (I filled out shot one and two as janssen and 3 as moderna per the instructions), which there are only two, which was weird, but resubmitted the same picture and it was approved 5 minutes later. So go ahead and get your MySOS out of the way, even if you travel in November.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 7:53 pm

Does each passenger have to download the mysos app ? do we need internet to access the app ?
MySOS is still necessary for everyone.

But there is also a "MySOS Web" version which does not need smartphone use or App download (I think its only for Fast Track countries). With this, you can apply for the MySOS online without download, then register what you need to get the blue/green approval screen, then either somehow show this screen at immigration (I suppose with a phone or laptop) or show a printed copy of it.

(so if you don't want to have their tracking App or worry about airport wi-fi, its an alternative)

Here's the details (scroll down for the Web version info)
https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/fasttrack/en/
justcry22 likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by McG
I believe so.

From what others have posted the airports have Wi-Fi that allows you to connect to the internet to access the app.
It does give you the option to fill out multiple people, but maybe someone else can confirm if that is just for family members or not
​​​​​​​
Old Sep 8, 2022, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by seigex
MySOS is already blue, good to go! I got my j&j/Modena CDC certificate kicked back to me saying I need to include all three doses on it (I filled out shot one and two as janssen and 3 as moderna per the instructions), which there are only two, which was weird, but resubmitted the same picture and it was approved 5 minutes later. So go ahead and get your MySOS out of the way, even if you travel in November.
Did you send them a photo of your paper card? Or was it a smart card thingy?
Old Sep 8, 2022, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Heliface
Did you send them a photo of your paper card? Or was it a smart card thingy?
Paper CDC card, happened to have it on my phone
Old Sep 8, 2022, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by seigex
Paper CDC card, happened to have it on my phone
Cool, that was what I was hoping. I have bad memories about Singapore's insane smart card requirement that had to match your passport name exactly - including middle name, even though many smart cards don't include middle names. That was a stressful moment lol.
seigex likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Heliface
Cool, that was what I was hoping. I have bad memories about Singapore's insane smart card requirement that had to match your passport name exactly - including middle name, even though many smart cards don't include middle names. That was a stressful moment lol.
Totally understand that
Old Sep 8, 2022, 8:21 pm

I contacted Holigoes yesterday too. No response yet. Though I am happy to wait a bit longer as they look a bit more legit to me. If you guys know other Japanese agencies doing ERFS let us know.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by harb2melb
I contacted Holigoes yesterday too. No response yet. Though I am happy to wait a bit longer as they look a bit more legit to me. If you guys know other Japanese agencies doing ERFS let us know.
What part of JGA seems less legit?
Old Sep 8, 2022, 8:26 pm

JGA seems more legit than Holigoes to me. They have lots of reviews for actual tours and people have already gotten visas from their ERFS. I haven't seen anyone having experience with Holigoes.
seigex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.