Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)

Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: etgohomeok
UPDATE Sept. 22, 2022: JAPAN WILL NO LONGER REQUIRE VISAS AS OF OCTOBER 11, 2022. As of October 11, Japan will resume visa-free entry to nationals from qualifying countries. Individuals traveling to Japan after this date DO NOT need to obtain an ERFS and visa to enter the country for individual tourism. The information below is for posterity and/or people who wish to travel to Japan prior to this change going into effect.

UPDATE Sept. 12, 2022: News media is reporting rumors of an imminent announcement which may include the reinstatement of visa waivers. Such an announcement would make most of the information below obsolete. Travelers who do not need visas immediately are advised to wait until we know more.

Overview

Until further notice, a visa is required from all foreigners to enter Japan. The visa-waiver program which previously allowed visa-free entry to nationals from certain countries has been suspended. In order to obtain a visa, a receiving agency must sponsor your application by issuing you an ERFS (Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System) certificate. ERFS certificates may be issued for a variety of reasons, including tourism, in which case a licensed travel agency must sponsor your visa application.

Tourism

As of September 7, 2022, tourists may enter Japan on unguided, unaccompanied tours as long as they are sponsored by a travel agency who arranges their flights and accommodations and acts as a point of contact for the duration of their stay in the country in the event of issues including a COVID infection. Some official documents from the Japanese government have attempted to clarify this policy (and, most notably, what it means for a receiving agency to "arrange" flights and accommodations), however in practice it has been left up to the interpretation of the sponsoring agencies. Due to the lack of clarity, there is a range of interpretations with some agencies insisting on purchasing all airfare and hotel reservations on behalf of the traveler, with others allowing travelers to keep their existing reservations as long as they share the details with them. The exact offerings and pricing from specific agencies is changing rapidly, consult this thread for the latest information.

As of now there have been no reports of denied visas or entry into the country from anyone who had a valid ERFS from a legitimate travel agency. Individuals from Australia have reported difficulties booking visa appointments, so Aussies may want to contact their local consulate and ensure they can do so before paying for a tour package/ERFS.

Visa Application and Arrival Process

The following roughly outlines the steps for obtaining a visa and entering the country:
  1. First, the traveler must obtain an ERFS certificate from their sponsoring agency. Who issues the ERFS depends on the reason for entering the country (business travelers should obtain it from the company they are visiting, tourists should obtain it from a travel agency who is arranging their visit, etc.). The ERFS certificate is a one-page document summarizing key information about the traveler and their sponsor. An example of an ERFS certificate is provided here.
  2. Once the ERFS is obtained, travelers must apply for a visa from their local Japanese consulate. Travelers from some countries (currently only the USA and Canada) may apply for an eVisa online. This process is faster and easier than physically visiting a consulate so it is recommended for anyone who has access to it.
  3. Visitors who are fully vaccinated with three doses of approved vaccine do not need to obtain a COVID test prior to traveling to Japan. A primary series consisting of one dose of J&J/Janssen is treated as two doses for the purpose of meeting these criteria (see here). Vaccination information should be submitted using the MySOS app and travelers should ensure they have a "blue screen" in the app prior to boarding their flight. Information available here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What other documents are required for the visa application? Do I need an itinerary document?
A: For an eVisa application you only need to submit your ERFS and passport. No other supporting documentation is necessary. In-person applications may ask for more documentation and you should verify what documents are required with your local consulate.

Q: What documents are required to board a plane and enter the country?
A: Travelers who have reported their experiences have said they were asked to show their MySOS "blue screen" and their visa/eVisa by both the airline (prior to boarding their flight) and by customs (after landing in Japan). If you have an eVisa, make sure you can load the digital version of the actual eVisa website on your phone (not just the PDF) in Japan over data or WiFi, because these have a rotating QR code.

Q: What if I don't want to stay at a hotel and want to stay at a friend's house/Airbnb/couch-surfing/etc.?
A: Current tourism guidelines suggest that a travel agency is supposed to "arrange accommodations" for your time in Japan. As such, you should contact your travel agency to ask them what types of accommodations in Japan they will allow. It is advisable to book a hotel in Japan for at least your first night in the country prior to applying for a visa since the visa application asks for this information. Note that hotels in Japan are currently very cheap, especially with the weakened Yen.

Q: What if I'm not traveling for (x) amount of time? When should I get an ERFS and apply for a visa?
A: Visas are only valid for 90 days after they are issued, so you should wait until your trip is at least within the next three months. There is also a good chance that the Japanese government will move to further relax entry requirements (including, possibly, re-instating the visa-waiver program which would make this entire process obsolete) in the coming months, so you should wait until your individual planning process requires you to have some assurance that you'll be able to enter the country. We may also see more competition among travel agencies offering bare-bones tour packages in the coming weeks, which could drive prices down.

Print Wikipost

Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)

Old Jun 8, 2022, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alan11
But your girlfriend is right. I also know lots of people who are clueless that Japan is actually closed and/or only visitable with these upcoming groups. They assume since they see foreigners moving around, then we must be tourists, instead of the fact that we are residents.
As an aside , many never leave their general area (like in most countries). Some of the Japanese I work with have never been to Tokyo/Osaka/Hokkaido/Okinawa etc. My co-workers do understand that they work with (a) foreigner(s) but certainly do not consider how it relates to residency or covid restrictions on tourists.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
As an aside , many never leave their general area (like in most countries). Some of the Japanese I work with have never been to Tokyo/Osaka/Hokkaido/Okinawa etc. My co-workers do understand that they work with (a) foreigner(s) but certainly do not consider how it relates to residency or covid restrictions on tourists.
+1 - this is so true! My wife's family lives in Western Japan (Nagato) -- and as far as they are concerned Tokyo is a foreign country - and Hokkaido is the north pole.... Her father has never left Japan his entire life -- but her mother has travelled to Europe a few times -- and that was enough for her. The standards in Japan for things are so high -- and the stress of being in a society that is different (i.e. tipping) is so stressful to many Japanese it isn't worth it...

The way I explain Japanese culture to people is always the same -- imagine 120 million people living in a country the size of California -- but only 10% of the land is able to be lived on --so everyone is literally on top of each other -- and "privacy" means a different thing -- then you understand why things are quiet, respectful, and clean (and love hotels exist lol) -- otherwise society would not be able to function.... Add into that the local / regional history, the monarchy, the wars, and all of the complexities that come with it -- and you have Japan....
seigex likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP.
any reports on how strict these tours are? I wonder if a private tour is an option
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Amil
any reports on how strict these tours are? I wonder if a private tour is an option
They are highly coordinated from the moment you arrive at the airport until you go to the international terminal to fly home, and the tour owners are responsible for actions of the tourists. If you violate the rules, then they will cut the tour short and/or deport you from the country (I'm not being hyperbolic, this is actually in the explainer provided by the Japanese government). You won't be able to do any private tours.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 1:40 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1k, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, National Exec Elite
Welp, United just cancelled my SFO-KIX flight for October 1st (the return flight from NRT is still scheduled for the 16th). Wondering if I should change to another routing or take this opportunity for a refund. Was hoping to make it out to the Japanese Grand Prix for the second time ever but my hopes are dropping as each month goes by. Maybe I'll just visit the in-laws in Korea instead.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 2:09 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by SFO_LHR_NRT
Welp, United just cancelled my SFO-KIX flight for October 1st (the return flight from NRT is still scheduled for the 16th). Wondering if I should change to another routing or take this opportunity for a refund. Was hoping to make it out to the Japanese Grand Prix for the second time ever but my hopes are dropping as each month goes by. Maybe I'll just visit the in-laws in Korea instead.
Why not just fly to HND and take the train to Osaka? That cancellation is probably more about US than possible tourist visa changes being delayed.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 2:49 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1k, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ainternational
Why not just fly to HND and take the train to Osaka? That cancellation is probably more about US than possible tourist visa changes being delayed.
Oh I can certainly keep the reservation, all of the flight change alternatives involve a connecting flight at HND or NRT, we actually did arrive at NRT and immediately took the train to Kyoto once, but this time around we'd rather avoid taking three trains to get from NRT to our hotel in Kyoto/Osaka after a long flight.

We're just on the fence if we should still commit to the trip and hope private tourism opens up or go somewhere else during those two weeks of PTO. At least UA isn't rushing me into a decision between a free flight change or a full refund so I have that in my back pocket for now.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
To be fair, Japan is simply being xenophobic at this point, especially by removing the visa-exemptions from pretty much everyone. I hope the EU and US remove them from visa-free/ESTA access, which require at least a spirit of reciprocity.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SFO_LHR_NRT
Oh I can certainly keep the reservation, all of the flight change alternatives involve a connecting flight at HND or NRT, we actually did arrive at NRT and immediately took the train to Kyoto once, but this time around we'd rather avoid taking three trains to get from NRT to our hotel in Kyoto/Osaka after a long flight.

We're just on the fence if we should still commit to the trip and hope private tourism opens up or go somewhere else during those two weeks of PTO. At least UA isn't rushing me into a decision between a free flight change or a full refund so I have that in my back pocket for now.
In the same boat. Got award travel on the books for September but at this point I'm not sure if I should hold out or look for other options.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Japan logs most COVID cases since March, delays domestic travel plan

In response to the surging cases, the government now plans to postpone the launch of a nationwide travel subsidy program for Japan residents that it had envisioned for the first half of July.

The new subsidy campaign is expected to be an expanded version of a similar program currently implemented at the prefectural level to encourage local travel among residents. The government will continue its financial support for the area-limited subsidies through the end of August.
Kind of hard for them to throw open the doors to foreign tourists at this juncture.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Japan logs most COVID cases since March, delays domestic travel plan

Kind of hard for them to throw open the doors to foreign tourists at this juncture.
Despite the postponement, government officials have ruled out restrictions on people's movements. At a news conference, health minister Shigeyuki Goto expressed concern about a further increase in infections during the upcoming summer vacation period, but said, "We don't think the current situation requires movement controls."
Between the removal of all restrictions for citizens going to blue countries to walk around maskless, then coming home with no testing/quarantining, I don't think they are overly too concerned with the increased cases, and doubt the restriction of foreign tourists is COVID-related at this point.

FTR - At this point, I don't think Japan is going to open back up for a long while, maybe 2024 or beyond. LDP won a supermajority in a landslide, which just confirms to Kishida and his gov't that they're doing what the citizens want.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by seigex
FTR - At this point, I don't think Japan is going to open back up for a long while, maybe 2024 or beyond. LDP won a supermajority in a landslide, which just confirms to Kishida and his gov't that they're doing what the citizens want.
Up until now, he had to do what he thought the citizens wanted done.

Now, he can start doing what he wants done.

In a few weeks, we'll start to know how much those things differ.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Up until now, he had to do what he thought the citizens wanted done.

Now, he can start doing what he wants done.

In a few weeks, we'll start to know how much those things differ.
I hope that it moves in to a positive direction and would happy to be wrong. I don't just don't know that the election was the catalyst everyone thought it would be.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 2:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
How does one actually get into one of these group tours? I don't see *any* info about them online, other than excited, forward-looking news articles from before June 10.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by stvr
How does one actually get into one of these group tours? I don't see *any* info about them online, other than excited, forward-looking news articles from before June 10.
Has to be through government approved tour companies like JTB Honolulu: https://www.jtbusa.com/Branch.aspx?city=Honolulu

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.