Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)

Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: etgohomeok
UPDATE Sept. 22, 2022: JAPAN WILL NO LONGER REQUIRE VISAS AS OF OCTOBER 11, 2022. As of October 11, Japan will resume visa-free entry to nationals from qualifying countries. Individuals traveling to Japan after this date DO NOT need to obtain an ERFS and visa to enter the country for individual tourism. The information below is for posterity and/or people who wish to travel to Japan prior to this change going into effect.

UPDATE Sept. 12, 2022: News media is reporting rumors of an imminent announcement which may include the reinstatement of visa waivers. Such an announcement would make most of the information below obsolete. Travelers who do not need visas immediately are advised to wait until we know more.

Overview

Until further notice, a visa is required from all foreigners to enter Japan. The visa-waiver program which previously allowed visa-free entry to nationals from certain countries has been suspended. In order to obtain a visa, a receiving agency must sponsor your application by issuing you an ERFS (Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System) certificate. ERFS certificates may be issued for a variety of reasons, including tourism, in which case a licensed travel agency must sponsor your visa application.

Tourism

As of September 7, 2022, tourists may enter Japan on unguided, unaccompanied tours as long as they are sponsored by a travel agency who arranges their flights and accommodations and acts as a point of contact for the duration of their stay in the country in the event of issues including a COVID infection. Some official documents from the Japanese government have attempted to clarify this policy (and, most notably, what it means for a receiving agency to "arrange" flights and accommodations), however in practice it has been left up to the interpretation of the sponsoring agencies. Due to the lack of clarity, there is a range of interpretations with some agencies insisting on purchasing all airfare and hotel reservations on behalf of the traveler, with others allowing travelers to keep their existing reservations as long as they share the details with them. The exact offerings and pricing from specific agencies is changing rapidly, consult this thread for the latest information.

As of now there have been no reports of denied visas or entry into the country from anyone who had a valid ERFS from a legitimate travel agency. Individuals from Australia have reported difficulties booking visa appointments, so Aussies may want to contact their local consulate and ensure they can do so before paying for a tour package/ERFS.

Visa Application and Arrival Process

The following roughly outlines the steps for obtaining a visa and entering the country:
  1. First, the traveler must obtain an ERFS certificate from their sponsoring agency. Who issues the ERFS depends on the reason for entering the country (business travelers should obtain it from the company they are visiting, tourists should obtain it from a travel agency who is arranging their visit, etc.). The ERFS certificate is a one-page document summarizing key information about the traveler and their sponsor. An example of an ERFS certificate is provided here.
  2. Once the ERFS is obtained, travelers must apply for a visa from their local Japanese consulate. Travelers from some countries (currently only the USA and Canada) may apply for an eVisa online. This process is faster and easier than physically visiting a consulate so it is recommended for anyone who has access to it.
  3. Visitors who are fully vaccinated with three doses of approved vaccine do not need to obtain a COVID test prior to traveling to Japan. A primary series consisting of one dose of J&J/Janssen is treated as two doses for the purpose of meeting these criteria (see here). Vaccination information should be submitted using the MySOS app and travelers should ensure they have a "blue screen" in the app prior to boarding their flight. Information available here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What other documents are required for the visa application? Do I need an itinerary document?
A: For an eVisa application you only need to submit your ERFS and passport. No other supporting documentation is necessary. In-person applications may ask for more documentation and you should verify what documents are required with your local consulate.

Q: What documents are required to board a plane and enter the country?
A: Travelers who have reported their experiences have said they were asked to show their MySOS "blue screen" and their visa/eVisa by both the airline (prior to boarding their flight) and by customs (after landing in Japan). If you have an eVisa, make sure you can load the digital version of the actual eVisa website on your phone (not just the PDF) in Japan over data or WiFi, because these have a rotating QR code.

Q: What if I don't want to stay at a hotel and want to stay at a friend's house/Airbnb/couch-surfing/etc.?
A: Current tourism guidelines suggest that a travel agency is supposed to "arrange accommodations" for your time in Japan. As such, you should contact your travel agency to ask them what types of accommodations in Japan they will allow. It is advisable to book a hotel in Japan for at least your first night in the country prior to applying for a visa since the visa application asks for this information. Note that hotels in Japan are currently very cheap, especially with the weakened Yen.

Q: What if I'm not traveling for (x) amount of time? When should I get an ERFS and apply for a visa?
A: Visas are only valid for 90 days after they are issued, so you should wait until your trip is at least within the next three months. There is also a good chance that the Japanese government will move to further relax entry requirements (including, possibly, re-instating the visa-waiver program which would make this entire process obsolete) in the coming months, so you should wait until your individual planning process requires you to have some assurance that you'll be able to enter the country. We may also see more competition among travel agencies offering bare-bones tour packages in the coming weeks, which could drive prices down.

Print Wikipost

Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)

Old Sep 2, 2022, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by dyrtydave
​​​​​​Hmm, that's ridiculous, but I also wonder how strict that will be. Either way, that doesn't sound great.
sure does and ridiculous is a mild adjective to describe what Japan has been doing in terms of its border.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Hammerklavier
Relevant bit at the top of page 10.

旅行業者又は旅行サービス手配業者が、ツアー参加者の入出国時の往復航空 券及び滞在期間中の全ての宿泊施設の手配を行うこと。
(※)ツアー参加者の自己手配で、旅行業者又は旅行サービス手配業者が受入 責任者のみを引き受けることは認められない。

The travel agency must handle all bookings for round trip airfare as well as all hotel accommodations for the duration of the tour participant’s stay.
(*) Instances of travelers booking their own accommodations and the travel agency acting only as their entry sponsor will not be allowed.
The rules are getting increasingly far from being anything to do with COVID. I don't understand how these rules are even tangentially related.

I cannot see why a Japanese travel agency booking your flights and hotels instead of yourself is related, in any way, to disease prevention.

The rule of not being allowed to book your own fight to Japan is especially meaningless - Japan has no control over you at all before you enter and after you exit, regardless of which airline, and regardless of how it was booked.

Plus it's obviously very off-putting because most of us want to use points etc, and book direct in case of IRROPS.
LETTERBOY and aquanine like this.

Last edited by musehead; Sep 2, 2022 at 5:49 am
Old Sep 2, 2022, 6:11 am

The travel agency must handle all bookings for round trip airfare as well as all hotel accommodations for the duration of the tour participant’s stay.
(*) Instances of travelers booking their own accommodations and the travel agency acting only as their entry sponsor will not be allowed.
What if we've already gotten the ERFS via that method?
Old Sep 2, 2022, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by musehead
The rule of not being allowed to book your own fight to Japan is especially meaningless - Japan has no control over you at all before you enter and after you exit, regardless of which airline, and regardless of how it was booked.
Actually, the lack of control is the problem. If they can't control your flights, a person could therefore easily overstay their trip by changing the departure date, and then they would be able to galavant around the country spreading Covid and causing all sorts of mask-less mischief without a travel agency to take responsibility for them.

Last edited by alan11; Sep 2, 2022 at 6:33 am
Old Sep 2, 2022, 6:32 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by alan11
Actually, I think that's the problem. If they can't control your flights, a person could therefore easily overstay their trip by changing the departure date, during which time they would be able to galavant around the country spreading Covid and causing all sorts of mask-less mischief without a travel agency to take responsibility for them.
yeah, not only are we foreigners all disease carrying brutes, we are also potential criminals who may stay on to commit all kind of misdeeds. Having a ‘Japanese’ travel agent to monitor us is essential, the moment we deviate from our prescribed itinerary the agent can report us and the government can launch national manhunts to hunt us down …..
TravisMT81, LETTERBOY, m.y and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by williamluk
yeah, not only are we foreigners all disease carrying brutes, we are also potential criminals who may stay on to commit all kind of misdeeds. Having a ‘Japanese’ travel agent to monitor us is essential, the moment we deviate from our prescribed itinerary the agent can report us and the government can launch national manhunts to hunt us down …..
I think that's the purpose of the MySOS tracking app!
Old Sep 2, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by alan11
Actually, the lack of control is the problem. If they can't control your flights, a person could therefore easily overstay their trip by changing the departure date, and then they would be able to galavant around the country spreading Covid and causing all sorts of mask-less mischief without a travel agency to take responsibility for them.
If they really care about this, then surely a better way of controlling that would be to only issue a visa for the exact dates of travel. Some countries I've visited in the past (Belarus, Uzbekistan, Iran) have done exactly that.

Under the new rules, there's nothing to stop someone missing their departure flight, booking a new one themselves for some later date and spreading disease at their leisure for the remainder of their visa.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 6:49 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
From what I have seen they seem to be issuing 15 day Visas for most tourists.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

That's the deal breaker. Of course, it implicitly means no award tickets and no award hotel stays, plus no hotel program benefits nor credit. I would expect that these travel agent hotel bookings will be at expensive prepaid rates.

OTOH, this is the way most Japanese people travel for leisure, so those in the government responsible for this might not think it's a big deal. It would be interesting to know what percentage of preCOVID-19 foreign travel *to* Japan was booked in such a way, using both Japanese and foreign travel agents.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 7:14 am

What will happen if I get the eVisa but without actually book my flight and hotel through Japan travel agency? Will I get denied to enter Japan by the Japan immigration at the airport?
Old Sep 2, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Little Animal
What will happen if I get the eVisa but without actually book my flight and hotel through Japan travel agency? Will I get denied to enter Japan by the Japan immigration at the airport?
I doubt anyone here can definitively give you an answer given how much of a mess the entire situation is across the board.

Several outcomes could happen

1. It could be totally fine and you have a nice time in Japan
2. The Japanese government could go back and cancel all visa/eVisa that were received via 'invalid' ERFS where the travel agency didn't book everything.
3. The Japanese government flags those visa/eVisa and you could get denied boarding on your departure to Japan
4. You could get denied at immigration.

I would think if anything does happen 2 or 3 are most likely. In the case of #4 I believe that would mean the airline that flew you to Japan would have the legal responsibility to fly you back to your home country. I'm sure the Japanese airlines would be screaming if that suddenly started happening a lot.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: Free agent
Well, there goes any hope of our trip again for now. Back to waiting.
Topcare likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 7:38 am

seems like the end of the road for the longshot of my Oct 5th arrival happening. dont think I'm comfortable skirting very explicit rules that could blow up in my face in a very expensive way.

time to rebook for the...4th time
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 7:43 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ja70
seems like the end of the road for the longshot of my Oct 5th arrival happening. dont think I'm comfortable skirting very explicit rules that could blow up in my face in a very expensive way.

time to rebook for the...4th time
I have seen talk of more clarity being available on 6th Sept.
ja70 likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by ts.pub
I doubt anyone here can definitively give you an answer given how much of a mess the entire situation is across the board.

Several outcomes could happen

1. It could be totally fine and you have a nice time in Japan
2. The Japanese government could go back and cancel all visa/eVisa that were received via 'invalid' ERFS where the travel agency didn't book everything.
3. The Japanese government flags those visa/eVisa and you could get denied boarding on your departure to Japan
4. You could get denied at immigration.

I would think if anything does happen 2 or 3 are most likely. In the case of #4 I believe that would mean the airline that flew you to Japan would have the legal responsibility to fly you back to your home country. I'm sure the Japanese airlines would be screaming if that suddenly started happening a lot.
or 1-a. It could be totally fine and you have a nice time in Japan, until you get Covid, or have any other health (or legal) issue, at which point you get noticed and flagged. I somehow doubt you'd be deported (just claim typical gaijin ignorance, it fits with the stereotype of being clueless to the ways of Japan), but the sponsor agency would probably have some explaining to do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.