Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: etgohomeok
UPDATE Sept. 22, 2022: JAPAN WILL NO LONGER REQUIRE VISAS AS OF OCTOBER 11, 2022. As of October 11, Japan will resume visa-free entry to nationals from qualifying countries. Individuals traveling to Japan after this date DO NOT need to obtain an ERFS and visa to enter the country for individual tourism. The information below is for posterity and/or people who wish to travel to Japan prior to this change going into effect.

UPDATE Sept. 12, 2022: News media is reporting rumors of an imminent announcement which may include the reinstatement of visa waivers. Such an announcement would make most of the information below obsolete. Travelers who do not need visas immediately are advised to wait until we know more.

Overview

Until further notice, a visa is required from all foreigners to enter Japan. The visa-waiver program which previously allowed visa-free entry to nationals from certain countries has been suspended. In order to obtain a visa, a receiving agency must sponsor your application by issuing you an ERFS (Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System) certificate. ERFS certificates may be issued for a variety of reasons, including tourism, in which case a licensed travel agency must sponsor your visa application.

Tourism

As of September 7, 2022, tourists may enter Japan on unguided, unaccompanied tours as long as they are sponsored by a travel agency who arranges their flights and accommodations and acts as a point of contact for the duration of their stay in the country in the event of issues including a COVID infection. Some official documents from the Japanese government have attempted to clarify this policy (and, most notably, what it means for a receiving agency to "arrange" flights and accommodations), however in practice it has been left up to the interpretation of the sponsoring agencies. Due to the lack of clarity, there is a range of interpretations with some agencies insisting on purchasing all airfare and hotel reservations on behalf of the traveler, with others allowing travelers to keep their existing reservations as long as they share the details with them. The exact offerings and pricing from specific agencies is changing rapidly, consult this thread for the latest information.

As of now there have been no reports of denied visas or entry into the country from anyone who had a valid ERFS from a legitimate travel agency. Individuals from Australia have reported difficulties booking visa appointments, so Aussies may want to contact their local consulate and ensure they can do so before paying for a tour package/ERFS.

Visa Application and Arrival Process

The following roughly outlines the steps for obtaining a visa and entering the country:
  1. First, the traveler must obtain an ERFS certificate from their sponsoring agency. Who issues the ERFS depends on the reason for entering the country (business travelers should obtain it from the company they are visiting, tourists should obtain it from a travel agency who is arranging their visit, etc.). The ERFS certificate is a one-page document summarizing key information about the traveler and their sponsor. An example of an ERFS certificate is provided here.
  2. Once the ERFS is obtained, travelers must apply for a visa from their local Japanese consulate. Travelers from some countries (currently only the USA and Canada) may apply for an eVisa online. This process is faster and easier than physically visiting a consulate so it is recommended for anyone who has access to it.
  3. Visitors who are fully vaccinated with three doses of approved vaccine do not need to obtain a COVID test prior to traveling to Japan. A primary series consisting of one dose of J&J/Janssen is treated as two doses for the purpose of meeting these criteria (see here). Vaccination information should be submitted using the MySOS app and travelers should ensure they have a "blue screen" in the app prior to boarding their flight. Information available here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What other documents are required for the visa application? Do I need an itinerary document?
A: For an eVisa application you only need to submit your ERFS and passport. No other supporting documentation is necessary. In-person applications may ask for more documentation and you should verify what documents are required with your local consulate.

Q: What documents are required to board a plane and enter the country?
A: Travelers who have reported their experiences have said they were asked to show their MySOS "blue screen" and their visa/eVisa by both the airline (prior to boarding their flight) and by customs (after landing in Japan). If you have an eVisa, make sure you can load the digital version of the actual eVisa website on your phone (not just the PDF) in Japan over data or WiFi, because these have a rotating QR code.

Q: What if I don't want to stay at a hotel and want to stay at a friend's house/Airbnb/couch-surfing/etc.?
A: Current tourism guidelines suggest that a travel agency is supposed to "arrange accommodations" for your time in Japan. As such, you should contact your travel agency to ask them what types of accommodations in Japan they will allow. It is advisable to book a hotel in Japan for at least your first night in the country prior to applying for a visa since the visa application asks for this information. Note that hotels in Japan are currently very cheap, especially with the weakened Yen.

Q: What if I'm not traveling for (x) amount of time? When should I get an ERFS and apply for a visa?
A: Visas are only valid for 90 days after they are issued, so you should wait until your trip is at least within the next three months. There is also a good chance that the Japanese government will move to further relax entry requirements (including, possibly, re-instating the visa-waiver program which would make this entire process obsolete) in the coming months, so you should wait until your individual planning process requires you to have some assurance that you'll be able to enter the country. We may also see more competition among travel agencies offering bare-bones tour packages in the coming weeks, which could drive prices down.

Print Wikipost

Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by bocastephen
the Air Canada SFO agents became infamous for demanding a PCR test from transit passengers who were specifically exempt by the Canadian government from needing to have one
To be fair this is the same airline that also tries to land on busy taxiways.
invalyd likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 8:25 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Could folks who entered recently let me know if they were able to OLCI and get boarding passes and what, if anything, needed to be checked on paper at the airport. Flying JL57 in F on Friday.

I'm going to bring printout of the EFRS PDF thing, proof of my company's global health coverage, and the eVisa PDF since the Japanese love paper. I suspect only the last one is actually even remotely necessary to have on paper.

Anyone get asked for a paper CDC card? I did the MySOS and it's blue after providing my digital card.

It'd be nice to keep digital boarding passes in wallet for first post-COVID return to Japan but generally you don't get one when you need things like visas to be checked.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Trust me it's not just AC -- UA has messed us up during the pandemic for us as well -- but I don't blame them too badly as when Japan changes rules sometimes the English translation of these rules can take many days to get right.... My (Japanese) wife was denied boarding once for not having the "right" COVID test (granted this was towards the beginning of the pandemic) -- and I was not allowed to travel once because UA did not accept my proof of relationship (my Koseki is in Japanese of course) -- and the agent was clearly wrong - even though I had a valid visa -- and it got sorted out and flew the next day... The truth is that UA sees so few non-Japanese travelling to Japan the past few years they just aren't very familiar with the rules -- and when I tell them to check TIMATIC I usually get what the heck is that?

Of course all of this drama was at EWR -- enough said....
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Could folks who entered recently let me know if they were able to OLCI and get boarding passes and what, if anything, needed to be checked on paper at the airport. Flying JL57 in F on Friday.

I'm going to bring printout of the EFRS PDF thing, proof of my company's global health coverage, and the eVisa PDF since the Japanese love paper. I suspect only the last one is actually even remotely necessary to have on paper.

Anyone get asked for a paper CDC card? I did the MySOS and it's blue after providing my digital card.

It'd be nice to keep digital boarding passes in wallet for first post-COVID return to Japan but generally you don't get one when you need things like visas to be checked.
My (Japanese) wife flew JL J class last week (JFK - HND) and was unable to do OLCI -- can't tell you why but once they saw her App in person and verified her Vax Card all was fine....
Old Sep 28, 2022, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flayum
Anyone have experience with getting a multi-entry visa for Chinese nationals outside Japan (for P2)? I'm trying to figure out what "substantially high" means, but can't find any concrete numbers.
Odd that no one is commenting on this......only 11 days to go !
flayum likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 6:22 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, DL FO
Originally Posted by Dragontail
hi I am also in Japan now with JGA evisa. Went through airport good. MySOS app says I don’t need to check in/report location anymore. Is that same for you?

I also got an email from evisa system saying my visa expired… but I already got it from the customs and I am in the country. Anyone else get an email that evisa is expire? Thank you very much
I received that email today as well. Based on what I read on this site, I presume that means that the landing permission sticker in your passport is now the document that dictates the terms of your stay.

https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/...tem/index.html

"The visa immediately becomes invalid once the foreign national applied for landing in Japan. (Note) The "landing permission" becomes the legal basis for the stay of the foreign national in Japan."
seigex likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 10:43 am

FYI - single & multiple use visas that were suspended for COVID will be reinstated:

Single entry visa and multiple entry visa which have been issued by Embassies, Consulate-Generals and Consulates of Japan in all countries/regions and whose validity have been temporary suspended will take effect again from 0:00 am (JST) on October 11, 2022.
Border measures to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) | Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan (mofa.go.jp)
YariGuy, MrJBoy and invalyd like this.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 10:55 am

It's official, Timatic has been updated. Yesterday this was still showing red with "visa is required"

Old Oct 4, 2022, 6:10 pm

For those going Departure Airport ---> HND ---> ITM (an international to domestic transfer) - at what point do you go through immigration? I'm assuming it's HND right? Just asking because as I understand it fast track doesn't work at ITM.

Last edited by Heliface; Oct 4, 2022 at 6:39 pm
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:21 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Heliface
For those going Departure Airport ---> HND ---> ITM (an international to domestic transfer) - at what point do you go through immigration? I'm assuming it's HND right? Just asking because as I understand it fast track doesn't work at ITM.
You will go through immigration at HND.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:33 pm

delete
Old Oct 4, 2022, 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
You will go through immigration at HND.
Thanks
Old Oct 5, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: LH Senator ★
I am travelling with children, who do not have 3 doses of vaccine. This makes MySOS app Yellow for kids, and blue for parents.

Now when I check Swiss or Lufthansa website, it just says: "EVERY PASSENGER MUST HAVE 3 DOSES OF VACCINE TO ENTER"
Only on the IATA Timatic listing it says "Vaccinated parents give exception to their children under 18"

I am afraid that Swiss will make my check-in experience hell and will try to deny my kids. Any experiences?
Old Oct 6, 2022, 2:06 am

Programs: JMB
Originally Posted by JanoSicek
I am travelling with children, who do not have 3 doses of vaccine. This makes MySOS app Yellow for kids, and blue for parents.

Now when I check Swiss or Lufthansa website, it just says: "EVERY PASSENGER MUST HAVE 3 DOSES OF VACCINE TO ENTER"
Only on the IATA Timatic listing it says "Vaccinated parents give exception to their children under 18"

I am afraid that Swiss will make my check-in experience hell and will try to deny my kids. Any experiences?
https://www.de.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_...tml#220926VISA

1. Exemption of COVID-19 test certificate for triple vaccinated travelers

If travelers can present a valid COVID-19 vaccination certificate recognized by the Japanese government showing triple vaccination, they are exempt from COVID-19 testing within 72 hours prior to departure to Japan.

IMPORTANT: For information on vaccination certificates see HERE
Information on vaccination certificates from the Japanese Ministry of Health: https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/covid-19/border_vaccine.html
As of 11.10.2022, the following vaccinations will be recognized: https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000997373.pdf

For children under 18 years of age who are not triple vaccinated:
If the accompanying parent or guardian can prove that they have received triple vaccinations, their accompanying children up to the age of 18 are also exempt from the pre-departure testing requirement. However, if minors are travelling to Japan alone (unaccompanied by a parent or guardian who is in possession of a valid vaccination certificate), they are not exempt from compulsory testing.

Children up to 12 years of age can register in the app with their parent or guardian, provided they enter Japan together with their parent or guardian.
Children aged 13 and over should register themselves in the app using their own smart phone.

Please note that the embassies or consulates-general of Japan do not verify the vaccination certificate.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 3:00 am

Programs: LH Senator ★
Yep, I saw that on website of japanese embassies.

It is also in Timatic.

Problem is that Lufthansa and Swiss have their own "Entry regulations" for each country, and it is simplified and does not mention children at all.
And we all know that there is always this agent that wants to follow what "computer says" to the last dot.
Old Oct 6, 2022, 3:05 am

Took about 6 hours Overnight for my vax certs to be verified. My app is now blue.

Nothing else to do now right? I saw something about fast track pre-quarantine stuff, but presumably that’s all nullified as of 00:00 on 11th October?

I find it strange that the UK foreign office has not updated it’s guidance at all regarding this coming change, given they’re due to take effect in just over 4 days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.