Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: etgohomeok
UPDATE Sept. 22, 2022: JAPAN WILL NO LONGER REQUIRE VISAS AS OF OCTOBER 11, 2022. As of October 11, Japan will resume visa-free entry to nationals from qualifying countries. Individuals traveling to Japan after this date DO NOT need to obtain an ERFS and visa to enter the country for individual tourism. The information below is for posterity and/or people who wish to travel to Japan prior to this change going into effect.

UPDATE Sept. 12, 2022: News media is reporting rumors of an imminent announcement which may include the reinstatement of visa waivers. Such an announcement would make most of the information below obsolete. Travelers who do not need visas immediately are advised to wait until we know more.

Overview

Until further notice, a visa is required from all foreigners to enter Japan. The visa-waiver program which previously allowed visa-free entry to nationals from certain countries has been suspended. In order to obtain a visa, a receiving agency must sponsor your application by issuing you an ERFS (Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System) certificate. ERFS certificates may be issued for a variety of reasons, including tourism, in which case a licensed travel agency must sponsor your visa application.

Tourism

As of September 7, 2022, tourists may enter Japan on unguided, unaccompanied tours as long as they are sponsored by a travel agency who arranges their flights and accommodations and acts as a point of contact for the duration of their stay in the country in the event of issues including a COVID infection. Some official documents from the Japanese government have attempted to clarify this policy (and, most notably, what it means for a receiving agency to "arrange" flights and accommodations), however in practice it has been left up to the interpretation of the sponsoring agencies. Due to the lack of clarity, there is a range of interpretations with some agencies insisting on purchasing all airfare and hotel reservations on behalf of the traveler, with others allowing travelers to keep their existing reservations as long as they share the details with them. The exact offerings and pricing from specific agencies is changing rapidly, consult this thread for the latest information.

As of now there have been no reports of denied visas or entry into the country from anyone who had a valid ERFS from a legitimate travel agency. Individuals from Australia have reported difficulties booking visa appointments, so Aussies may want to contact their local consulate and ensure they can do so before paying for a tour package/ERFS.

Visa Application and Arrival Process

The following roughly outlines the steps for obtaining a visa and entering the country:
  1. First, the traveler must obtain an ERFS certificate from their sponsoring agency. Who issues the ERFS depends on the reason for entering the country (business travelers should obtain it from the company they are visiting, tourists should obtain it from a travel agency who is arranging their visit, etc.). The ERFS certificate is a one-page document summarizing key information about the traveler and their sponsor. An example of an ERFS certificate is provided here.
  2. Once the ERFS is obtained, travelers must apply for a visa from their local Japanese consulate. Travelers from some countries (currently only the USA and Canada) may apply for an eVisa online. This process is faster and easier than physically visiting a consulate so it is recommended for anyone who has access to it.
  3. Visitors who are fully vaccinated with three doses of approved vaccine do not need to obtain a COVID test prior to traveling to Japan. A primary series consisting of one dose of J&J/Janssen is treated as two doses for the purpose of meeting these criteria (see here). Vaccination information should be submitted using the MySOS app and travelers should ensure they have a "blue screen" in the app prior to boarding their flight. Information available here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What other documents are required for the visa application? Do I need an itinerary document?
A: For an eVisa application you only need to submit your ERFS and passport. No other supporting documentation is necessary. In-person applications may ask for more documentation and you should verify what documents are required with your local consulate.

Q: What documents are required to board a plane and enter the country?
A: Travelers who have reported their experiences have said they were asked to show their MySOS "blue screen" and their visa/eVisa by both the airline (prior to boarding their flight) and by customs (after landing in Japan). If you have an eVisa, make sure you can load the digital version of the actual eVisa website on your phone (not just the PDF) in Japan over data or WiFi, because these have a rotating QR code.

Q: What if I don't want to stay at a hotel and want to stay at a friend's house/Airbnb/couch-surfing/etc.?
A: Current tourism guidelines suggest that a travel agency is supposed to "arrange accommodations" for your time in Japan. As such, you should contact your travel agency to ask them what types of accommodations in Japan they will allow. It is advisable to book a hotel in Japan for at least your first night in the country prior to applying for a visa since the visa application asks for this information. Note that hotels in Japan are currently very cheap, especially with the weakened Yen.

Q: What if I'm not traveling for (x) amount of time? When should I get an ERFS and apply for a visa?
A: Visas are only valid for 90 days after they are issued, so you should wait until your trip is at least within the next three months. There is also a good chance that the Japanese government will move to further relax entry requirements (including, possibly, re-instating the visa-waiver program which would make this entire process obsolete) in the coming months, so you should wait until your individual planning process requires you to have some assurance that you'll be able to enter the country. We may also see more competition among travel agencies offering bare-bones tour packages in the coming weeks, which could drive prices down.

Print Wikipost

Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by The American
Wow I didn't know that. Last time I did a partial chargeback was when we fell for the taxi scam in Paris (early in our travels, never again), I gave Chase the clear listing on the airport website thats the max that can be charged and she said are you sure you don't want to do a full one? I mean he did give me a ride it was just 3x the price everyone else charges!
Hey, I would absolutely do a chargeback for a taxi scam. I also did a chargeback to Tesla for sending me really expensive damaged accessories and not responding to my emails for 3 weeks when asking for them to make it right.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Topcare
Do people on this forum go to the packed places in kyoto or osaka anyway?
I've always avoided them, but since I will arrive on 10/8, this is probably my one chance to photograph sites like Kinkaku-ji without facing hordes of tourists. Or at least that's my hope.
(my photography site, in case anyone is interested.)
freecia, Topcare and STR_Flyer like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 6:39 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Momochi
I could be wrong, but this is exclusive for Japanese residents
Pretty sure that's just for residents. They've had similar schemes in 2021 ... again, for residents.

However, to take advantage of the cheap yen, book the heavy-hitters now (refundable or otherwise). The exchange rate is nice once every 25-year discount in itself.
seigex likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Steve M
An issue that is 100% how foreign nationals are admitted is hardly a "purely domestic" issue. It affects not only specific foreigners, but diplomatic relations in general. As to your specific predictions, I recommend the next time you're at a craps table, bet Don't Pass.
Considering how many times the Japanese government have talked about opening and normalising, and then not doing any actual announcements or changes, this one did catch me out. The future is sometimes difficult to predict, that's the nature of it, sometimes you read the cards wrong and call the wrong hand.

The one thing I probably did underestimate was the potential to get a considerable foreign currency stream in while the yen is still low. It was probably too attractive to let go.
seigex and aquanine like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Originally Posted by od_sf
I've always avoided them, but since I will arrive on 10/8, this is probably my one chance to photograph sites like Kinkaku-ji without facing hordes of tourists. Or at least that's my hope.
I compared my pics of Kyoto from 2009 to my last visit in 2019 and its night and day. I seriously doubt I could have taken some of the 2009 pics, sans crowds, now. Hope the crowd is thin when you go.
od_sf and Topcare like this.

Last edited by Gradfly; Sep 22, 2022 at 7:55 pm Reason: added quote
Old Sep 22, 2022, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Considering how many times the Japanese government have talked about opening and normalising, and then not doing any actual announcements or changes, this one did catch me out. The future is sometimes difficult to predict, that's the nature of it, sometimes you read the cards wrong and call the wrong hand.

The one thing I probably did underestimate was the potential to get a considerable foreign currency stream in while the yen is still low. It was probably too attractive to let go.
Whatever you do, don't go back to look at everyone's predictions from March, 2020.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:03 pm

Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
Questions for those who have travelled under the recent system (As I'm leaving next week and still part of the whole ERFS and e-visa), what exactly is the medical insurance part and what is that you have to show and when?
I have medical insurance that I'm covered by. Do I need to just show my medical insurance card, or are they looking for traveller's medical insurance, and if that, who do I need to show what?

Thanks.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by seigex
Whatever you do, don't go back to look at everyone's predictions from March, 2020.
Especially not mine.... Lol
seigex likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by NYCBunny
Questions for those who have travelled under the recent system (As I'm leaving next week and still part of the whole ERFS and e-visa), what exactly is the medical insurance part and what is that you have to show and when?
I have medical insurance that I'm covered by. Do I need to just show my medical insurance card, or are they looking for traveller's medical insurance, and if that, who do I need to show what?

Thanks.
Your medical insurance card likely would be of limited use while in Japan unless you have a very generous plan. They are specifically talking about traveler's insurance.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 8:55 pm

Programs: JGC Diamond, OW Emerald, Amtrak Select Plus,Hotels.com Gold
Thank you.

Do you know what exactly they want us to show? Is an e-mail with the policy we bought okay, or what exactly? I did see any place in the mySOS app for it.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 2:12 am

So we just landed in Tokyo and are on the way to the hotel. JGA ERFS and visitor visa.

JAL boarding at JFK only looked at the visa and mySOS. Same as immigration at Haneda. Took all of 10 minutes to pass through immigration.

No mention whatsoever of insurance, itinerary, proof of “arrangement” of flight and hotel by JGA, etc. Literally the easiest time I’ve ever had entering a foreign country.

Good luck to the rest of us traveling before October 11, but sounds like you won’t need it.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:03 am

Either i went on a quiet day, or mine and your ideas of busy are very different. Yes there was tourists, but nothing that made it difficult or unpleasant. This was Nov 2018 and early afternoon. Only had to wait maybe 2 minutes in a line to get to the best photo spot
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: Eurobonus Gold
beautiful pictures 👌🏻
seigex likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by STR_Flyer
beautiful pictures 👌🏻
wow, yeah that's some awesome photography
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Any recent experience with turnaround time at the LA consulate for an evisa?

Do they usually release daily visas at a certain time or throughout the day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.