Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)

Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: etgohomeok
UPDATE Sept. 22, 2022: JAPAN WILL NO LONGER REQUIRE VISAS AS OF OCTOBER 11, 2022. As of October 11, Japan will resume visa-free entry to nationals from qualifying countries. Individuals traveling to Japan after this date DO NOT need to obtain an ERFS and visa to enter the country for individual tourism. The information below is for posterity and/or people who wish to travel to Japan prior to this change going into effect.

UPDATE Sept. 12, 2022: News media is reporting rumors of an imminent announcement which may include the reinstatement of visa waivers. Such an announcement would make most of the information below obsolete. Travelers who do not need visas immediately are advised to wait until we know more.

Overview

Until further notice, a visa is required from all foreigners to enter Japan. The visa-waiver program which previously allowed visa-free entry to nationals from certain countries has been suspended. In order to obtain a visa, a receiving agency must sponsor your application by issuing you an ERFS (Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System) certificate. ERFS certificates may be issued for a variety of reasons, including tourism, in which case a licensed travel agency must sponsor your visa application.

Tourism

As of September 7, 2022, tourists may enter Japan on unguided, unaccompanied tours as long as they are sponsored by a travel agency who arranges their flights and accommodations and acts as a point of contact for the duration of their stay in the country in the event of issues including a COVID infection. Some official documents from the Japanese government have attempted to clarify this policy (and, most notably, what it means for a receiving agency to "arrange" flights and accommodations), however in practice it has been left up to the interpretation of the sponsoring agencies. Due to the lack of clarity, there is a range of interpretations with some agencies insisting on purchasing all airfare and hotel reservations on behalf of the traveler, with others allowing travelers to keep their existing reservations as long as they share the details with them. The exact offerings and pricing from specific agencies is changing rapidly, consult this thread for the latest information.

As of now there have been no reports of denied visas or entry into the country from anyone who had a valid ERFS from a legitimate travel agency. Individuals from Australia have reported difficulties booking visa appointments, so Aussies may want to contact their local consulate and ensure they can do so before paying for a tour package/ERFS.

Visa Application and Arrival Process

The following roughly outlines the steps for obtaining a visa and entering the country:
  1. First, the traveler must obtain an ERFS certificate from their sponsoring agency. Who issues the ERFS depends on the reason for entering the country (business travelers should obtain it from the company they are visiting, tourists should obtain it from a travel agency who is arranging their visit, etc.). The ERFS certificate is a one-page document summarizing key information about the traveler and their sponsor. An example of an ERFS certificate is provided here.
  2. Once the ERFS is obtained, travelers must apply for a visa from their local Japanese consulate. Travelers from some countries (currently only the USA and Canada) may apply for an eVisa online. This process is faster and easier than physically visiting a consulate so it is recommended for anyone who has access to it.
  3. Visitors who are fully vaccinated with three doses of approved vaccine do not need to obtain a COVID test prior to traveling to Japan. A primary series consisting of one dose of J&J/Janssen is treated as two doses for the purpose of meeting these criteria (see here). Vaccination information should be submitted using the MySOS app and travelers should ensure they have a "blue screen" in the app prior to boarding their flight. Information available here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What other documents are required for the visa application? Do I need an itinerary document?
A: For an eVisa application you only need to submit your ERFS and passport. No other supporting documentation is necessary. In-person applications may ask for more documentation and you should verify what documents are required with your local consulate.

Q: What documents are required to board a plane and enter the country?
A: Travelers who have reported their experiences have said they were asked to show their MySOS "blue screen" and their visa/eVisa by both the airline (prior to boarding their flight) and by customs (after landing in Japan). If you have an eVisa, make sure you can load the digital version of the actual eVisa website on your phone (not just the PDF) in Japan over data or WiFi, because these have a rotating QR code.

Q: What if I don't want to stay at a hotel and want to stay at a friend's house/Airbnb/couch-surfing/etc.?
A: Current tourism guidelines suggest that a travel agency is supposed to "arrange accommodations" for your time in Japan. As such, you should contact your travel agency to ask them what types of accommodations in Japan they will allow. It is advisable to book a hotel in Japan for at least your first night in the country prior to applying for a visa since the visa application asks for this information. Note that hotels in Japan are currently very cheap, especially with the weakened Yen.

Q: What if I'm not traveling for (x) amount of time? When should I get an ERFS and apply for a visa?
A: Visas are only valid for 90 days after they are issued, so you should wait until your trip is at least within the next three months. There is also a good chance that the Japanese government will move to further relax entry requirements (including, possibly, re-instating the visa-waiver program which would make this entire process obsolete) in the coming months, so you should wait until your individual planning process requires you to have some assurance that you'll be able to enter the country. We may also see more competition among travel agencies offering bare-bones tour packages in the coming weeks, which could drive prices down.

Print Wikipost

Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)

Old Sep 22, 2022, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Tofino87
Managed to find award space for 11th October just now! Yippee!

Quick question about visa waiver in ‘normal’ times…. Given they’re coming back into play.

I’m due to leave Japan on 5 November, but likely flying back in again on 14th November. Are there any specific rules about multiple entry etc I should be aware of please?
For people who were required to get a visa (obviously for travel before 10/11), they only issued single-entry visas for tourists. Once visa requirements are gone, I would assume it would revert back to old rules pre-covid. It's hard to find on google these days because any search just pulls up COVID rules, but IIRC, a visa is valid for 90 days (can be multiple entry) and you can only stay up to 180 days in any 12-month period. Someone else is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong on that, it's been a while since I've had to look at the rules.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: AmPlat, CSP, AS/DL
Originally Posted by seigex
which consulate would you use? some are slower and some are faster
Los Angeles. I thought I saw earlier in the thread that they were moving pretty quickly but maybe I misread that. (I also meant whether Holigoes is quick to respond.)
Old Sep 22, 2022, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by LowHeadways
Los Angeles. I thought I saw earlier in the thread that they were moving pretty quickly but maybe I misread that. (I also meant whether Holigoes is quick to respond.)
Yeah, I went through them and it was 5 business days to the hour, and there was a holiday in the middle. Holigoes has a 24 hour turnaround from what I've seen, and now that visa waiver has been announced, I doubt they'll be overly busy going forward
LowHeadways likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 1:52 pm
McG

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by The American
I purchased two ERFS certificates for 60,000 JPY total for travel in November. Since the country is now open, let's review the services I have received from J G A:
  • Issuing your ERFS for your Japan Tourist Visa
  • Visa application support including preparation of the required documents
  • Itinerary management
  • Support in emergency situations
Nobody will argue they issued the ERFS form promptly and provided that part of the service. However what about the rest? They gave me no support for the visa application, I still had to do it myself. They didn't manage any itinerary, so what does that even mean if it was understood I was arranging my own tour? Support for emergency situations? They don't even know where I am except for the first night. I may contact them for a discount now that we know the country is open starting October 11. I'm willing to pay them for the service I have received, but I am not receiving all of it and considering they suspended the ERFS service I'm thinking they won't honor anything beyond the certificate itself. So I will proffer a discount on the services rendered, and then initiate a chargeback if I don't hear anything positive back from them. I'm thinking, 40k JPY instead of 60k. Not sure yet.

Anyone have any other thoughts on this since I can't be the only one thinking about this
I also used JGA for an ERFS certificate, however I do not have a visa yet as the UK was not included in the eVisa system and I had to book an in person appointment at the Japanese consulate in Edinburgh.

The way I see it, I paid 30,000 yen as an insurance policy for an ERFS to allow me to get a visa and allow my trip to go ahead.

If JGA advise that they will be offering some sort of refund for those who they arranged ERFS for but didn’t get a visa and now no longer need a visa then I would gladly accept it, however I am not going to push them to get a refund as they did provide the ERFS certificate which was needed to obtain a visa.
roberto99, Gnopps, seigex and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
For people who were required to get a visa (obviously for travel before 10/11), they only issued single-entry visas for tourists. Once visa requirements are gone, I would assume it would revert back to old rules pre-covid. It's hard to find on google these days because any search just pulls up COVID rules, but IIRC, a visa is valid for 90 days (can be multiple entry) and you can only stay up to 180 days in any 12-month period. Someone else is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong on that, it's been a while since I've had to look at the rules.
Pre covid it was a visa waiver for Americans, you could just travel in, stay for up to 90 days. You could travel in and out as frequently as you liked, but you'd get an new landing permit put in the passport every time. I don't recall if there was a 180 days per 360 days rule, but there probably was I juts never really read that part.
​​​​​​
seigex likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
So I will proffer a discount on the services rendered, and then initiate a chargeback if I don't hear anything positive back from them. I'm thinking, 40k JPY instead of 60k. Not sure yet.

Anyone have any other thoughts on this since I can't be the only one thinking about this
I know the Japanese are xenophobic, but hearing from you just gives me a whole new perspective why they don’t like foreigners lol.

Last edited by williamluk; Sep 22, 2022 at 2:27 pm
Old Sep 22, 2022, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Pre covid it was a visa waiver for Americans, you could just travel in, stay for up to 90 days. You could travel in and out as frequently as you liked, but you'd get an new landing permit put in the passport every time. I don't recall if there was a 180 days per 360 days rule, but there probably was I juts never really read that part.​​​​​​
Thanks for the confirmation, you're right, they provided landing permits for each time. the 180 rule is (was) there, and honestly is quite generous for visa free tourism travel imho.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I purchased two ERFS certificates for 60,000 JPY total for travel in November. Since the country is now open, let's review the services I have received from J G A:
  • Issuing your ERFS for your Japan Tourist Visa
  • Visa application support including preparation of the required documents
  • Itinerary management
  • Support in emergency situations
Nobody will argue they issued the ERFS form promptly and provided that part of the service. However what about the rest? They gave me no support for the visa application, I still had to do it myself. They didn't manage any itinerary, so what does that even mean if it was understood I was arranging my own tour? Support for emergency situations? They don't even know where I am except for the first night. I may contact them for a discount now that we know the country is open starting October 11. I'm willing to pay them for the service I have received, but I am not receiving all of it and considering they suspended the ERFS service I'm thinking they won't honor anything beyond the certificate itself. So I will proffer a discount on the services rendered, and then initiate a chargeback if I don't hear anything positive back from them. I'm thinking, 40k JPY instead of 60k. Not sure yet.

Enjoy them filing a police report against you in Japan for defrauding them. I'm sure you'll get to experience a unique part of Japanese culture when they notice that when you try to enter the country.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by ts.pub
Enjoy them filing a police report against you in Japan for defrauding them. I'm sure you'll get to experience a unique part of Japanese culture when they notice that when you try to enter the country.
Defrauding them would be if I say I have no idea what this agency is, or saying my credit card information was stolen and I don't recognize the purchase. Don't be so sensational. I would be completely transparent and inquiring reimbursement is not criminal.

It's in every customer's right to ask no matter what the produce or service is. If you have nothing constructive to add to the conversation you can keep emotions to yourself.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 2:43 pm

Defrauding them would be if I say I have no idea what this agency is, or saying my credit card information was stolen and I don't recognize the purchase. Don't be so sensational. I would be completely transparent and discussing partial reimbursement is not criminal.

It's in every customer's right to ask no matter what the produce or service is. If you have nothing constructive to add to the conversation you can keep emotions to yourself.
Defrauding is also getting your money back for services you say weren't rendered through the payment processor by, when they were definitely rendered in support of your ERFS certificate as per MOFA requirements. Don't be an entitled prick.

I would be completely transparent and discussing partial reimbursement is not criminal.

It's in every customer's right to ask no matter what the produce or service is.
This wasn't just asking for services or reimbursement, you specifically mentioned pursuing a chargeback if you didn't get "a positive answer" from them.
roberto99, od_sf, aquanine and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 2:48 pm

Defrauding them would be if I say I have no idea what this agency is, or saying my credit card information was stolen and I don't recognize the purchase. Don't be so sensational. I would be completely transparent and inquiring reimbursement is not criminal.

You like quoting their services so much, you can also quote their "no refunds" policy they clearly stated.

You can inquire, but you don't have grounds for a chargeback that's for sure.
seigex, od_sf, aquanine and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 2:49 pm

Defrauding is also getting your money back for services you say weren't rendered through the payment processor by, when they were definitely rendered in support of your ERFS certificate as per MOFA requirements. Don't be an entitled prick.
Maybe you should revisit the website and review what they claim is included.

This wasn't just asking for services or reimbursement, you specifically mentioned pursuing a chargeback if you didn't get "a positive answer" from them.
I have done chargeback's for partial refunds in the past when I didn't receive the services as described.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 2:50 pm

Oh lord

I have done chargeback's for partial refunds in the past when I didn't receive the services as described.
lololol you sound like a prick.
TravisMT81, m.y, invalyd and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 2:53 pm

You might not like it, you obviously want to get something more out of them than what you are entitled to, but every service provided was in support of that ERFS and Visa certificate. It's not their fault that you are no longer required to use the certificate. Again, you sound like an entitled prick. But you do you I suppose.
Gnopps, od_sf, aquanine and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Wish there was a dislike button.
lx343 and RogueExplorer like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.