Wiki Posts
Search

Entering Japan post-COVID recovery

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2022, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum
Entering Japan post-COVID recovery

I am currently shaking a very mild case of COVID with plans to enter Japan in 2 weeks. I have heard that some people persistently test positive on PCR tests for weeks/months after recovering. Has anyone facing that situation successfully entered Japan, and if so, what documentation did you use to explain?
Old Apr 17, 2022, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcrw00
I am currently shaking a very mild case of COVID with plans to enter Japan in 2 weeks. I have heard that some people persistently test positive on PCR tests for weeks/months after recovering. Has anyone facing that situation successfully entered Japan, and if so, what documentation did you use to explain?
Kindly review the wiki in the thread linked below :

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]
Old Apr 17, 2022, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Kindly review the wiki in the thread linked below :

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]
I reviewed it, and it does not appear to answer the OP's question. Or perhaps the answer is well hidden?
Old Apr 17, 2022, 6:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
It is a tough situation and I am curious what the answer is.
I would guess that there is a pretty good chance you will be denied boarding or entry if you have a recent positive PCR result. I can't seem to find any reference to "recovery from Covid" on this site:

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/covid-19/bordercontrol.html

There may be some kind of exception certificate, perhaps the consulate can help you out.
mcrw00 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
There may be some kind of exception certificate, perhaps the consulate can help you out.
I’ve preemptively reached out to my consulate to see if any such exception exists. Will share anything pertinent in their reply.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 8:53 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
It is a tough situation and I am curious what the answer is.
I would guess that there is a pretty good chance you will be denied boarding or entry if you have a recent positive PCR result. I can't seem to find any reference to "recovery from Covid" on this site:

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/covid-19/bordercontrol.html

What about finding a "Quantitative antigen test (CLEIA/ECLIA)"? If is my novice understanding that the PCR tests are the ones that show positive after the fact, maybe check antigen? Also it is worth finding out what test Japan uses on arrival. One other thought is that I've seen other countries accept A " fit to travel" letter accompanied by the recent covid positive test result. I do not see that listed in Japan's faq.

​​​​​​
Old Apr 18, 2022, 2:47 am

Hmm, subscribing as we are heading to Hawaii in June and just recovered from omicron. Looks like getting into Hawaii should be straightforward enough with a doctor's letter (if we are still testing positive by then, hopefully not) but can't seem to get a clear answer (we called the govt here) regarding the return to Japan. Curious what others discover.
mcrw00 and JapanFlyerT like this.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pesos
Hmm, subscribing as we are heading to Hawaii in June and just recovered from omicron. Looks like getting into Hawaii should be straightforward enough with a doctor's letter (if we are still testing positive by then, hopefully not) but can't seem to get a clear answer (we called the govt here) regarding the return to Japan. Curious what others discover.
For sure. Statistically this is more likely to have affected Japan residents trying to return than foreigners trying to newly enter, so curious to know if you hear anything from the returnee side. Still waiting to hear back from my consulate. If I had to guess their answer will be that waiving the negative test requirement for entry requires special approval from the Consul and is probably granted only in cases where denial of entry would be wrong on humanitarian grounds. Even with such consular permission, I can’t even imagine the fun of trying to explain that to an airline agent.

EDIT: Heard back from the consulate that there are NO exceptions to the need for a negative COVID-19 certificate. Certificates of recovery are not recognized. But anecdotally heard from a Japanese acquaintance that a recovery letter could help you avoid quarantine if popping positive at the arrival airport. My guess is that in reality these circumstances are handled on a case-by-case basis on the ground, but the official policy remains that no negative test result = no entry.

Last edited by mcrw00; Apr 20, 2022 at 1:29 pm
Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
I imagine there are tens of millions of people out there who have recovered from Covid and may not even know it, let alone have it documented. They may pass an antigen test for departure (if necessary) and then fail a return test. Pretty inconvenient to say the least.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:50 pm

Hmm yeah once in-country I don't expect it would be that difficult to deal with (especially for the rest of my family who are all citizens), but I worry about them potentially testing positive in Hawaii prior to boarding.

I guess we will plan to all take a lab nasopharyngeal test a few weeks before departing Japan and see how things are looking then.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 6:49 pm

Pretty DUMB to say the least.
Fixed it for you. Having also overcome Omi I'm sure my PCR will light up like a Christmas tree.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Confirmed with the MHLW on their hotline that certs of recovery are NOT recognized. You need a negative test certificate, or no dice.

Only sliver of hope is the agent mentioned that many people had called asking about this. It’s probably going to take Japanese travelers being inconvenienced on their return to actually move the needle, but nonetheless, worth calling them to add a tally to their list if you anticipate ever being inconvenienced by this absurdity.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

I imagine there are tens of millions of people out there who have recovered from Covid and may not even know it, let alone have it documented. They may pass an antigen test for departure (if necessary) and then fail a return test. Pretty inconvenient to say the least.
Guess this is why the MHLW has published a “Request to Defer Travel”…would be curious to see the actual updated numbers for outbound Japanese business and leisure travelers. I’d imagine this testing nonsense is forcing a lot of companies to highly restrict international travel.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 9:50 am

Confirmed with the MHLW on their hotline that certs of recovery are NOT recognized. You need a negative test certificate, or no dice.

Only sliver of hope is the agent mentioned that many people had called asking about this. It’s probably going to take Japanese travelers being inconvenienced on their return to actually move the needle, but nonetheless, worth calling them to add a tally to their list if you anticipate ever being inconvenienced by this absurdity.
what is also hilarious is that some of the private labs here certificates are devoid of any security features that any child with any ounce of skill could duplicate.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Topcare
what is also hilarious is that some of the private labs here certificates are devoid of any security features that any child with any ounce of skill could duplicate.
Not to mention the MHLW’s actual certificate…I’m sure a nonzero portion of the daily positives at the airports are from persistent positive returnees who fudged the certificate just to get on the flight.
Topcare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.