Search

Narita Past and Present

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2022, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Pickles
Nope. 東亜 means "East Asia." Why it went away, don't know.
Toa is a reference to toilets in some places, but Japan isn’t one of those places.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Interesting on the 1979 JAL route map, Frankfurt is only served via Hamburg and Copenhagen seemingly not direct.

If I remember correctly, Air Nippon (ANA subsidiary lstarted its life the same way as Japan Asia Airways, for the purpose of flying to Taiwan. Once I took a taxi to Taoyuan airport the signs at the drop of point said Air Nippon, not All Nippon Airways. I never noticed what the signs said in Songshan, but as the Haneda Songshan flights were only added way after it was an issue. I guess just ANA.
According to NH , they had their first charter international flight to Hong Kong in February of 1971 and the first scheduled international route to Guam in March 1986.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Toa is a reference to toilets in some places, but Japan isn’t one of those places.
In Jpn, that would be Toto.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
According to NH , they had their first charter international flight to Hong Kong in February of 1971 and the first scheduled international route to Guam in March 1986.
Yeah, the Taiwan flights came much later than that. But it was an issue for a quite that airlines could not do both China and Taiwan. There are still some absurdities in place regarding the use of both Chinese and Taiwanese airspace on the same flight. I was speaking to an Air Nippon pilot a few years ago, it is not all the international standard...
Old Jan 28, 2022, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Interesting on the 1979 JAL route map, Frankfurt is only served via Hamburg and Copenhagen seemingly not direct.

If I remember correctly, Air Nippon (ANA subsidiary lstarted its life the same way as Japan Asia Airways, for the purpose of flying to Taiwan. Once I took a taxi to Taoyuan airport the signs at the drop of point said Air Nippon, not All Nippon Airways. I never noticed what the signs said in Songshan, but as the Haneda Songshan flights were only added way after it was an issue. I guess just ANA.
It is little odd that Frankfurt was not served direct. Looked up the timetable:

1979 JAL served Frankfurt x4 weekly.

JL 431 / 432 (twice week, 747): ITM-NRT-ANC-CPH-FRA
JL 433 / 434 (once week, 747): ITM-NRT-ANC-HAM-FRA
JL 446 / 447 (once week, DC-8): NRT-MOW-FRA

I looked through the storage and guess what I found? I found 1981 timetable of Lufthansa! Let's look NRT flight on LH.

LH flew daily on FRA-NRT in November 1981. Routing of those flights were:

LH 640 / 641 (twice week, DC-10): FRA-ATH-KHI-BKK-HKG- NRT
LH 650 / 651 (four per week, 747): FRA-HAM-ANC-NRT-ITM
LH 658 / 659 (once week, 707): FRA-MOW-NRT

Even LH made a stop at Hamburg. Wonder why? I understand that it was around 1980 and situations were different than today. But why FRA-ANC-NRT flights had to make a stop at Hamburg? It almost looks like there was some kind of a rule that NRT-ANC-FRA flights had to make another stop in Europe and could not fly to FRA direct. Wonder why this was?
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 9:23 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Even LH made a stop at Hamburg. Wonder why? I understand that it was around 1980 and situations were different than today. But why FRA-ANC-NRT flights had to make a stop at Hamburg? It almost looks like there was some kind of a rule that NRT-ANC-FRA flights had to make another stop in Europe and could not fly to FRA direct. Wonder why this was?
I was thinking it was due to avoiding overflight of Eastern Bloc countries, but I wonder it was more due to inertia as HAM was the major airport before, lack of landing rights, or technical reasons (HAM was & is LH's maintenance hub even after they moved flights over to FRA).
Old Jan 28, 2022, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by evergrn
Japan Air System... Can't believe you have a picture like this. Amazing! Used to be Toa Airways.
I vaguely remember feeling disappointed to hear that Toa Airlines was changing its name to Japan Air System. I had to have been really small like probably not even 10, but I remember wondering why every single airline in Jpn had to all have such vanilla names, either Jpn something (Japan Airlines, Japan Asia Airways, Japan Air System) or Nippon something (All Nippon Airways, Nippon Cargo). At least with Toa, you had something different. Of course, a couple decades later we're seeing too many crazy names like Skymark, Vanilla, Peach and Solaseed.

I don't know if I've ever seen a DC-8, let alone fly in one. I'm just reading about it right now on wikipedia. It entered service in 1950's and is apparently still in use as freighter!
Going through old storage at my folks' place is like Doraemon's Yojigen Pocket! I found Toa Domestic Airline Sept. 1976 timetable.

1976 TDA flew DC-9-41 and YS-11. TDA flew regional routes (ANA flew domestic drunk and domestic regional, and JAL flew international and trunk domestic routes). Way back when I flew TDA when I visited Oki Islands, off the coast Shimane. The route was: OKI-(TDA, YS-11)-YGJ-(TDA, YS-11)-ITM-(JAL, DC-8)-HND. My memory of TDA.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
It is little odd that Frankfurt was not served direct...
LH 658 / 659 (once week, 707): FRA-MOW-NRT
Wow. NRT-MOW on a 707. That had to have been close to the operational limit of the LH's 707s?

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 28, 2022, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If you think that is bad... ANA purchased 737-700ER to serve niche Far East Asia destinations with business demand. ANA fitted 737-700ER with more than half of the cabin with business class. They call this airplane ANA BusinessJet.

ANA to Launch "BusinessJet" service

Yes, because it is "BusinessJet" ANA called CLUB ANA BJ and Economy BJ....
Old Jan 28, 2022, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Topcare
Love the old photos and route maps. Used to collect a bunch of them on trips long before the days of the internets.

I have some vague recollection the first time flew to NRT in 1990 was from SEA on Thai. I can not seem to find reference to this fifth freedom route, however.
If you look at the departures board in the first post of this thread you can actually see the TG flight to DFW via SEA!

I have no idea why TG would fly to DFW of all places though...
CPH-Flyer and rustykettel like this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by truncated
If you look at the departures board in the first post of this thread you can actually see the TG flight to DFW via SEA!

Back in the days of regulations, lots of airline operated routes that would seem odd now, but route allocations were somewhat odd back in the day. Probably it was deemed some capacity was needed from the middle of the US to south east Asia and the traffic rights were assigned to Thai.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joejones
The thing about Japan-Brazil is that it can be served efficiently in any direction -- through the US, Europe, or the Middle East -- so travelers have their choice of a dozen different global airlines. Nobody in their right mind would choose to fly through the US, even on a Japanese carrier, if only because it requires you to go through US immigration. EK and QR seem to be the preferred choice of my friends in Japan who fly to Brazil regularly, as they are so competitive on both service and price. I also remember flying ANA out of CDG several years back and seeing their plane parked right next to TAM's with a bunch of Brazilian passengers transferring right over.
Many said PanAm did not adjust with change of industry, PanAm thought they were mighty PanAm and PanAm thought they define the norm in the industry. People said same about JAL as the reason JAL had to file for a reorganization plan in a bankruptcy court. Nobody thought back in 1980 Middle East airlines will become giant like today.

US used to have sterile Int-Int connection where connection passengers did not have to go through immigration/passport control. AF Tahiti flight, CDG-LAX-PPT passengers transited at LAX at a transit lounge at TBIT of LAX and did not have to go through the U.S. immigration/passport control. 9/11 ended that practice. AA took part in designing and invested in DFW Terminal D (International terminal) where Terminal D had a large international transit lounge and AA was planning to make good use out of it. But sterile Int-Int transit was discontinued after 9/11 and when DFW Terminal D opened in 2005 this large fancy international lounge remained unused empty. AA was not happy at all. I know U.S. airlines is constantly bugging the U.S. government regarding bringing back sterile Int-Int transit at the U.S. airports.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 10:05 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by truncated

According to this

https://www.weninchina.com/transpac-pioneers/thai-1983

it was DFW's only transpacific service at the time with convenient timing for US side connections, so perhaps less competition than the original LAX terminus. Amazing how much the air service landscape has changed in such a short amount of time.

Nice catch of the flight in that earlier photo!
Old Jan 28, 2022, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many said PanAm did not adjust with change of industry, PanAm thought they were mighty PanAm and PanAm thought they define the norm in the industry. People said same about JAL as the reason JAL had to file for a reorganization plan in a bankruptcy court. Nobody thought back in 1980 Middle East airlines will become giant like today.

US used to have sterile Int-Int connection where connection passengers did not have to go through immigration/passport control. AF Tahiti flight, CDG-LAX-PPT passengers transited at LAX at a transit lounge at TBIT of LAX and did not have to go through the U.S. immigration/passport control. 9/11 ended that practice. AA took part in designing and invested in DFW Terminal D (International terminal) where Terminal D had a large international transit lounge and AA was planning to make good use out of it. But sterile Int-Int transit was discontinued after 9/11 and when DFW Terminal D opened in 2005 this large fancy international lounge remained unused empty. AA was not happy at all. I know U.S. airlines is constantly bugging the U.S. government regarding bringing back sterile Int-Int transit at the U.S. airports.
Air NZ on LHR LAX AKL tried various attempts to keep people in the sterile flow after 9/11, but in the end no dice. They must have had to extend the down time in LAX in order to process all passengers through the CBP. I wonder if there was a more dedicated lane? Even the rapid transfer line can take a while....
Old Jan 28, 2022, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Topcare
Love the old photos and route maps. Used to collect a bunch of them on trips long before the days of the internets.

I have some vague recollection the first time flew to NRT in 1990 was from SEA on Thai. I can not seem to find reference to this fifth freedom route, however.
Yes, I have flown on that TG flight NRT-SEA, too. I remember that I was impressed with the service in economy. Even in economy all passengers received orchid (real flower, not plastic fake one). Meal service on the tray small but real wine glass, not plastic cup.

Yes, I also wondered why TG chose DFW as the U.S destination.

At SEA.

CPH-Flyer, hijiji and truncated like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.