Wiki Posts
Search

HNL-NRT overnight hotel [at NRT]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2020, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA HA HKE CS ANA
HNL-NRT overnight hotel [at NRT]

I am traveling OGG -TPE with a 22 hour layover in NRT. Of course to board any flight to TPE I must have a negative PCR test. Since individuals FROM Japan can ENTER Hawaii with a negative Covid test, My question is can I stay overnight in a hotel outside the Narita airport coming FROM Hawaii or will I not be permitted to do so and be required to stay in the capsule hotel at the airport.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 5:45 am

Overnight connections at NRT are not currently permitted. You have to stay airside for the duration of your connection in Japan, but the airside part of NRT is closed during the night. You will have to book a different ticket.

I suggest that you look at this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japa...s-edition.html

Some posts mentioning no overnight connections:
Old Dec 27, 2020, 10:11 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Since the question is about an overnight stay at NRT the thread is moved to the Japan forum.

NewbieRunner
Co-mod, Coronavirus and Travel forum
Old Dec 27, 2020, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Im a new user
Overnight connections at NRT are not currently permitted. You have to stay airside for the duration of your connection in Japan, but the airside part of NRT is closed during the night. You will have to book a different ticket.

I suggest that you look at this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japa...s-edition.html

Some posts mentioning no overnight connections:
OGG -TPE with 22 hour layover in Narita was booked by UA not me - because UA (actually Japan Air canceled the original flight) .... The capsule hotel in Narita NINE HOURS Narita Airport has accepted my reservation. Why would the reservation be accepted and why would UA book a ticket this way if not acceptable? update I just spent over an hour on the phone with UA. Because I have an ARC - Alian Resident Certificate for Taiwan, I am allowed to check out of the OGG to NRT flight and check in to NRT to Taipei without having to go through immigration i.e. leave the airport - which is not allowed due to Covid. Does this sound right?

Last edited by code808; Dec 27, 2020 at 6:26 pm Reason: updated information
Old Dec 27, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by code808
OGG -TPE with 22 hour layover in Narita was booked by UA not me - because UA (actually Japan Air canceled the original flight) .... The capsule hotel in Narita NINE HOURS Narita Airport has accepted my reservation. Why would the reservation be accepted and why would UA book a ticket this way if not acceptable?
It's literally impossible for airlines to know all the restrictions a passenger may face (visa, covid, etc.) and thus becomes the responsibility of the passenger.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 6:22 pm

the only other solution would be to fly OGG-SFO-TPE via UA (or OGG-SFO-NRT-TPE via UA&NH)

(fewer the connections the better, have fun spending time on phone to get UA to reroute you)
Old Dec 27, 2020, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
OGG -TPE with 22 hour layover in Narita was booked by UA not me - because UA (actually Japan Air canceled the original flight) .... The capsule hotel in Narita NINE HOURS Narita Airport has accepted my reservation. Why would the reservation be accepted and why would UA book a ticket this way if not acceptable? update I just spent over an hour on the phone with UA. Because I have an ARC - Alian Resident Certificate for Taiwan, I am allowed to check out of the OGG to NRT flight and check in to NRT to Taipei without having to go through immigration i.e. leave the airport - which is not allowed due to Covid. Does this sound right?
It has been always passengers responsibility to make sure to have all proper documents to enter the country. Each person has different requirement for entry to a country. Before COVID-19 the U.S. citizens required visa to enter China where Japanese citizens can enter China under visa waiver for stay less than 14 days. But both the U.S. citizens and Japanses citizens could make reservation and purhace ticket to China without providing any proof of their entry requirement to China. THis is the way always has been in the past and the current situation also.

It is responsibility of passengers to make sure they are allowed and have all nesscary documents to enter the country. The hotel at Narita Airport don't know what is your status as far as entry to Japan is concernred and it is not responsibility of a hotel to make sure their guest can entery Japan. Same with UA, there are so many different people with different background, some can be dual citizen of Japan and Taiwan. Just because you can make a reservation on the website does not mean you are entitled to enter a country.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 7:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Directly from TIMATIC:

Admission and Transit Restrictions:
- Passengers transiting through Tokyo (NRT) must transit on
the same calendar day.

It is always 100% the passenger's responsibility to comply with all entry, transit & documentation requirements. Even if the ticketing carrier happens to have your particulars, the number of permutations across countries, nationalities & residence are close to endless.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 5:07 am

Hi, TravelDoc should give the most up to date information.
Old Dec 29, 2020, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
It's literally impossible for airlines to know all the restrictions a passenger may face (visa, covid, etc.) and thus becomes the responsibility of the passenger.
It is of course impossible for the passenger too, in particular as the rules change so frequently.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:40 am
Original Poster

I spoke with the Japanese Consulate in Honolulu who pointed out that I would be arriving NRT on the Lunar New Year and there would be no way to confirm my "special" status because all government offices would be closed. I rebooked the ticket OGG SFO NRT. It is ironic because I can not enter Hawaii from Taiwan - the Covid test is accepted in Hawaii ONLY from certain USA providers and providers in Japan. Ticket is TPE SFO OGG SFO TPE. That's a lot of traveling just to renew a drivers license.

Mahalo to all for advice and comments.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 9:44 am

I spoke with the Japanese Consulate in Honolulu who pointed out that I would be arriving NRT on the Lunar New Year and there would be no way to confirm my "special" status because all government offices would be closed. I rebooked the ticket OGG SFO NRT. It is ironic because I can not enter Hawaii from Taiwan - the Covid test is accepted in Hawaii ONLY from certain USA providers and providers in Japan. Ticket is TPE SFO OGG SFO TPE. That's a lot of traveling just to renew a drivers license.

Mahalo to all for advice and comments.
just a note, most states extend their driver license expiry (hawaii is until feb 2021 for any expiring between 3/2020-2/2021). not sure if they'll extend it again

not sure how it works if you need to use it in conjuction with Int'l drivers permit (probably very niche case)

if its taiwan license, don't think it's that expensive to retake the driving test in taiwan (compared to other countries?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.