Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

First visit Japan, Sakura or fall ??

Old Nov 24, 20, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avios

I have just cancelled my March 2021 trip after cancelling March 2020. I really do not want to wait 18 months to go so I was wondering what the views are on visiting Japan for fall change of season.I would probably be leaving around Oct 17-31. Is that the best time to see fall leaves?? I would be travelling from Tokyo to Kyoto with a stop at Kanazawa. I could delay trip into early November if that is the better time to go.
Old Nov 24, 20, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Tilto007 View Post
I have just cancelled my March 2021 trip after cancelling March 2020. I really do not want to wait 18 months to go so I was wondering what the views are on visiting Japan for fall change of season.I would probably be leaving around Oct 17-31. Is that the best time to see fall leaves?? I would be travelling from Tokyo to Kyoto with a stop at Kanazawa. I could delay trip into early November if that is the better time to go.
October 17 -31 might be a bit early for peak fall leaves .
Tilto007 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 20, 9:43 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Past years the foliage in Tokyo was around November and the foliage in Kyoto was around November to early December.
Tilto007 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 20, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, my wife does not like long flights so this could be my only Japan trip. Is fall 2021 a better choice than waiting until Sakura 2022??
Old Nov 24, 20, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Japan-guide.com has a guide to autum colours

https://www.japan-guide.com/blog/koyo20/

( Tokyo & Kyoto are around peak now)

I was in Tokyo this time last year and it was not quite peak ( but also at that time the winter illuminations were coming out and these were beautiful around Tokyo

Regards

TBS
Tilto007 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 20, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Thanks for the replies, my wife does not like long flights so this could be my only Japan trip. Is fall 2021 a better choice than waiting until Sakura 2022??
Foliage or Sakura, I think it will boils down to a personal preference. Both are nice, but pre-COVID-19 Sakura attracted far more tourists, places got busy. In terms of Foliage 2021 vs. Sakura 2022, I think one factor is how much international tourists in Japan will recover by then, that will make a difference.
evergrn likes this.
Old Nov 24, 20, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In the past, I've seen nice fall colors around Thanksgiving, primarily in the Tokyo area (including the trip between NRT and the city) but also in Osaka.
Tilto007 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 20, 5:35 pm

Programs: Delta
In Kobe/Osaka area we're in peak fall color season now. Places nearby peaked last week. Frankly, I would recommend October over early spring because of the chance for nicer weather. Spring can get some rainy days, while October is often day after day of blue sky. Some days can get hot, but always cools off at night.
evergrn and Tilto007 like this.
Old Nov 25, 20, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips, I will plan to head to Tokyo for 2 weeks in the middle of Nov 2021.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: