Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2020, 11:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Japan is now officially in recession.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/17/econo...hnk/index.html
Old May 18, 2020, 12:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by tfizzle
I can go next March with my single change, but if COVID-19 is not resolved by then I would be reluctant to travel
I have a trip postponed from Apr2020 to Feb2021. Figure I'll go get some ski'ing done. I'm fairly confident* that even if covid-19 isn't resolved, the world would have already accepted to live with the virus by then (and international flights would be at least somewhat semi-resumed). Because economic pressures on travel-related businesses would be far too great to keep everything under lockdown for an entire year.

[edit] * Maybe optimistic or hopeful would be a better word. Certainly this "confidence" is not based on anything, it's just pulled out of my behind.
Old May 18, 2020, 6:01 am
Suspended

If I were you, I would stay at home! As far as I am aware the borders are shut down.
Old May 18, 2020, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by shuigao
I'm fairly confident* that even if covid-19 isn't resolved, the world would have already accepted to live with the virus by then (and international flights would be at least somewhat semi-resumed). Because economic pressures on travel-related businesses would be far too great to keep everything under lockdown for an entire year.

[edit] * Maybe optimistic or hopeful would be a better word. Certainly this "confidence" is not based on anything, it's just pulled out of my behind.
I actually really agree with this - a lot of plans just aren't feasible.

Take, for instance, the plan outlined by Motegi in the linked article - if travel is limited to businesspeople and essential personnel only, airlines won't want to fly near empty planes and businesses won't want to pay the price to make those nearly empty flights profitable.

Huge areas of major Japanese cities have changed to support tourism related businesses (hotels and drug stores especially, although this extends to restaurants catering to foreign tourists and department stores being kept from bankruptcy by foreign tourists), and this alone will cause some pressure (tons of hotels are closed in my area - even chain hotels, such as Mitsui Garden Hotels, have closed some branches).
seigex likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 10:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
I would totally visit Japan as soon as it opens up. If there is any single country I miss the most and trust the most with hygiene and social distancing - it’s Japan
Old May 21, 2020, 6:10 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Please continue discussion of the impact of the coronavirus / COVID-19 in Japan to the existing thread here: Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Questions of a "Should I travel to Japan?" nature are subjective and unanswerable given the numerous restrictions in place and each person's risk tolerance. As a result, threads asking questions of an open-ended nature will be closely moderated and/or closed to avoid off-topic discussion that is more suitable for OMNI: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-366/

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.