Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist
HND-GMP flights

Found an article in Japanese on HND-GMP flight resumptions that started June 29th. 8 flights a week allocated. Korean and Asiana fly Wed/Sat, ANA flies Mon/Fri, JAL flies Sun/Thur. The flight decisions are based on politics so don't see any movement until after elections are held in Japan on July 10th at the earliest.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
On my last couple of JAL flights, it has been passengers entering Japan that was let off the plane first. I am not sure if there is a logic to when it happens in what order. But my feeling is that it is not necessarily JAL that decides.
My experience also. Bass-ackwards, if you ask me, but it looks like to be driven by NRT, not by JAL or the airlines. I was standing by the door and had a chance to view the process. Basically, they let all terminating passengers off first, and then they close the door to the arrivals terminal and open a side door directly into the departures area for that gate. The connecting passengers all file through there, skipping the usual security check once in arrivals area to be let back into the departures area. I watched the JL elves on board and on the ground make sure every terminating passenger is off the plane and in the arrivals area before letting any of the connecting passengers off. Onward boarding passes were checked before allowing passengers through into the departures area.

I don't see why they couldn't run the process in the opposite order, lowering blood pressure levels overall. I cannot confirm, but I am pretty certain that onward connections are held for the inbound passengers. My own flight was delayed somewhat, and my onward connection was consequently pushed back also. The Japanese announcement apologizing for the delay explicitly mentioned "late arrival of the incoming aircraft", which wasn't the case as the incoming aircraft (per Flightaware) had been sitting at the gate for hours.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Pickles
My experience also. Bass-ackwards, if you ask me, but it looks like to be driven by NRT, not by JAL or the airlines. I was standing by the door and had a chance to view the process. Basically, they let all terminating passengers off first, and then they close the door to the arrivals terminal and open a side door directly into the departures area for that gate. The connecting passengers all file through there, skipping the usual security check once in arrivals area to be let back into the departures area. I watched the JL elves on board and on the ground make sure every terminating passenger is off the plane and in the arrivals area before letting any of the connecting passengers off. Onward boarding passes were checked before allowing passengers through into the departures area.

I don't see why they couldn't run the process in the opposite order, lowering blood pressure levels overall. I cannot confirm, but I am pretty certain that onward connections are held for the inbound passengers. My own flight was delayed somewhat, and my onward connection was consequently pushed back also. The Japanese announcement apologizing for the delay explicitly mentioned "late arrival of the incoming aircraft", which wasn't the case as the incoming aircraft (per Flightaware) had been sitting at the gate for hours.
When I arrived at NRT last week, we were asked to sit back down as they had to wait to find out who gets let off first. So agree it seems to be NRT giving the order. They ended up letting transit passengers off first for my flight.
Exec_Plat likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 1:57 am

Programs: AA Exp, Hyatt Diamond, IHG RA, Fairmont Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by seigex
When I arrived at NRT last week, we were asked to sit back down as they had to wait to find out who gets let off first. So agree it seems to be NRT giving the order. They ended up letting transit passengers off first for my flight.
For what it is worth, they let off transit passengers first on the ICN-NRT flight today.
seigex likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by holycow4
For what it is worth, they let off transit passengers first on the ICN-NRT flight today.
I have a theory that they let out the smaller group first. On my ORD-NRT flight, entry passengers deplaned first (looked to be like 25 people total). On my SIN-HND flight, transit passengers deplaned first (looked like about 40 people total).
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
I have a theory that they let out the smaller group first. On my ORD-NRT flight, entry passengers deplaned first (looked to be like 25 people total). On my SIN-HND flight, transit passengers deplaned first (looked like about 40 people total).
Interesting. Perhaps they need staff to wait until they change the door configuration from one 'state' to the other. But once the doors are changed, that staff is done.

So the smaller group going first will always minimize the time the staff has to attend?

Who know, really....

Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Interesting. Perhaps they need staff to wait until they change the door configuration from one 'state' to the other. But once the doors are changed, that staff is done.

So the smaller group going first will always minimize the time the staff has to attend?

Who know, really....

In Haneda there are no door configuration changes, but you need staff to be ready to guide people in the right direction. In Narita it is only connecting passengers from the US that has a "no security check" flow.

Especially for Haneda my main guess is really about flow, to avoid connecting and arriving passengers from different flights to mix and avoid having too many people walking in opposite directions in central stretches of the terminal at the same time, they try to steer it. Also probably to create a bit of spacing between the groups sent towards arrival procedures.
Exec_Plat likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
Transiting today with 8 hour connection- Sushi?

Flying from BKK to the states on NH/UA today and transiting through NRT with an 8-hour connection. On the outbound I flew JL through NRT and although the connection was very short, I noticed almost everything was closed including lounges, restaurants, etc. outside of a few shops and a small coffee shop with very limited offerings. My question is- are things more open in the Star Alliance terminal? Is there a place to grab sushi during an 8 hour connection? Are the NH or UA lounges open? Won't be able to enter Japan due to COVID restrictions so will stay post-security.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by safra1
Flying from BKK to the states on NH/UA today and transiting through NRT with an 8-hour connection. On the outbound I flew JL through NRT and although the connection was very short, I noticed almost everything was closed including lounges, restaurants, etc. outside of a few shops and a small coffee shop with very limited offerings. My question is- are things more open in the Star Alliance terminal? Is there a place to grab sushi during an 8 hour connection? Are the NH or UA lounges open? Won't be able to enter Japan due to COVID restrictions so will stay post-security.
I wasn't on the NH side, but NH lounge should be open (at least the main ones).
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The opening hours details of the shops in terminals in Narita
https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/news/coronavirus_shops

Things looks majority closed in T1 as well.

The ANA lounges are open, the United lounge is closed.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:19 pm

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
What does before and after passport control mean on the narita links? which area will we have access to if just transiting and not entering Japan?
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What does before and after passport control mean on the narita links? which area will we have access to if just transiting and not entering Japan?
It is seen from an originating passenger's point of view. So before passport control is landside, after passport control is airside. The Japanese wording is a bit more logical.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jul 7, 2022 at 7:53 pm
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:51 pm

Ugh wish there was a reasonable way to acquire an NH Suite Lounge pass without upgrading the flight. I have access to the regular lounge but need a sushi fix!
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond, JAL JGC, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Platinum members get a few suite lounge coupons every year. I think. Its been a few years since I checked.

Also the lounge doesnt really serve sushi all the time. Pre-pandemic it was only for a certain amount of time. They do serve kaisen don though.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ugh wish there was a reasonable way to acquire an NH Suite Lounge pass without upgrading the flight. I have access to the regular lounge but need a sushi fix!
If you are flying UA from Narita, there is not an upgrade that would get you access to the Suite Lounge. You'd need to qualify for NH Diamond to make it happen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.