Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread (Coronavirus edition)

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread (Coronavirus edition)

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 8, 21, 11:41 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: armagebedar
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 27, 21, 4:30 am
  #61  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 13,056
Originally Posted by eccentricfusion View Post
I see that the testing center in the airport is a trusted testing partner for Hawaii, they say they can turnaround within two hours. I would be getting a COVID test prior to returning to Hawaii from Thailand, but Hawaii only accepts tests from programs listed on their trusted testing partner program. Of course, none of those are in Thailand, but the location in Narita could work. Has anyone had experience getting a COVID test during transit? How was it?
As far as I know, the testing facility in Narita is only offered land side, so if you can't enter Japan (Japanese citizen or resident foreigner) you can't use the testing facility.
​​
They advertise 2 hours, in practical terms you should allow at least 3 hours for the results to come back.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 27, 21, 5:13 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 393
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
As far as I know, the testing facility in Narita is only offered land side, so if you can't enter Japan (Japanese citizen or resident foreigner) you can't use the testing facility.
​​
They advertise 2 hours, in practical terms you should allow at least 3 hours for the results to come back.
Thank you for the feedback. I attempted to contact the testing clinic but didn't get an answer. I guess I'll just have to quarantine upon arrival to Hawaii from Bangkok, unless someone has any other information. I would assume that the clinic at Haneda is land side as well? Looks like it from what I can tell.
eccentricfusion is offline  
Old Jan 27, 21, 8:20 am
  #63  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Beantown! (BOS)
Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Posts: 2,659
Originally Posted by eccentricfusion View Post
Thank you for the feedback. I attempted to contact the testing clinic but didn't get an answer. I guess I'll just have to quarantine upon arrival to Hawaii from Bangkok, unless someone has any other information. I would assume that the clinic at Haneda is land side as well? Looks like it from what I can tell.
You may want to check the new CDC order went into effect on Jan. 26, which this applies to the U.S. citizens also.

What happens if I donít take a test and want to travel to the US?
Air passengers traveling to the US are required to present a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery. Airlines must confirm the negative test result or documentation of recovery for all passengers before boarding. If a passenger chooses not to present a test result or documentation of recovery, the airline must deny boarding to the passenger.
If you do not have a negative COVID-19 test results within 72 hrs. of departure from Bangkok and your final destination is the U.S. then the airline may deny you boarding at Bangkok. This is not Japan related so don't want to go off topic on Japan forum, but if you look around other forums on FlyerTalk there are reports of passengers denied boarding. One example at America Airline forum, a passenger had a ticket booked Country A - U.S.A. - Country B, where Country B required negative COVID-19 test results. The passenger was planning to get rapid COVID-19 test during a transit at the U.S. since the passenger was the U.S. citizen or a green card holder. American Airlines at Country A denied this passenger boarding because the destination is Country B but the passenger did not have negative COVID-19 test result which required for an entry to Country B.
AlwaysAisle is offline  
Old Jan 27, 21, 6:37 pm
  #64  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 393
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle View Post
You may want to check the new CDC order went into effect on Jan. 26, which this applies to the U.S. citizens also.

If you do not have a negative COVID-19 test results within 72 hrs. of departure from Bangkok and your final destination is the U.S. then the airline may deny you boarding at Bangkok. This is not Japan related so don't want to go off topic on Japan forum, but if you look around other forums on FlyerTalk there are reports of passengers denied boarding. One example at America Airline forum, a passenger had a ticket booked Country A - U.S.A. - Country B, where Country B required negative COVID-19 test results. The passenger was planning to get rapid COVID-19 test during a transit at the U.S. since the passenger was the U.S. citizen or a green card holder. American Airlines at Country A denied this passenger boarding because the destination is Country B but the passenger did not have negative COVID-19 test result which required for an entry to Country B.
I know, that is why I'm getting a COVID test prior to leaving Bangkok. The issue is avoiding quarantine upon arrival to Honolulu. Currently, Hawaii only accepts negative tests from their "trusted partners" - none of which are located in Thailand. I was trying to get another COVID test from a trusted partner (there are trusted testing partners in NRT and HND) but I wasn't sure if I could do it in transit. I don't mind getting tested twice, once before, once in transit, but it doesn't look like that is an option due to where the testing sites are in the terminals (all land side?). I could quarantine in Honolulu with little issue since I work remotely anyway and can get groceries delivered if needed at home, but if I can avoid a quarantine completely so I can go for walks outside still, that would be ideal.
eccentricfusion is offline  
Old Feb 3, 21, 4:15 am
  #65  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 7,891
Will be transiting NRT next weekend on my way to BKK.

Any recent experience regarding lounge operations? Are showers still available?

Also, assume that Duty Free shop would be open?

Thanks.
goodeats21 is offline  
Old Feb 3, 21, 5:00 am
  #66  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 13,056
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
Will be transiting NRT next weekend on my way to BKK.

Any recent experience regarding lounge operations? Are showers still available?

Also, assume that Duty Free shop would be open?

Thanks.
Which side are we talking about, T1 or T2?

Though generally speaking, the JAL first class lounge is open and the ANA Suite Lounge is open. They are also open to people normally going to the business class side.

JAL has the showers open, not sure about ANA.

Not sure about the exact shops that are open, but the ones that are close pretty early. 5pm to 6pm, or so.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Feb 3, 21, 7:01 am
  #67  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 7,891
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Which side are we talking about, T1 or T2?

Though generally speaking, the JAL first class lounge is open and the ANA Suite Lounge is open. They are also open to people normally going to the business class side.

JAL has the showers open, not sure about ANA.

Not sure about the exact shops that are open, but the ones that are close pretty early. 5pm to 6pm, or so.
It is United connecting to ANA, so I think that is Terminal 1? So would be looking at ANA lounge info.

Sounds like Duty Free should be available, as I arrive around 3PM.
goodeats21 is offline  
Old Feb 3, 21, 4:14 pm
  #68  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 13,056
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
It is United connecting to ANA, so I think that is Terminal 1? So would be looking at ANA lounge info.

Sounds like Duty Free should be available, as I arrive around 3PM.
T1 and the ANA Suite Lounge indeed.
goodeats21 likes this.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Feb 3, 21, 7:33 pm
  #69  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,278
Originally Posted by goodeats21 View Post
It is United connecting to ANA, so I think that is Terminal 1? So would be looking at ANA lounge info.

Sounds like Duty Free should be available, as I arrive around 3PM.
shower @ NH Suite lounge was open when I was there in Nov (doubt they would change)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32814730-post87.html

would recommend shopping first before going to lounge - there were one or two stores that were open before entering lounge, but closed after.

some have 4:30pm/5pm/5:30pm closing time and not open all 7 days, see pdf below
https://www.narita-airport.jp/files/...atinghours.pdf

eg
Fa-So-La DRUGSTORE 第2サテライト店
Fa-So-La DRUGSTORE No.2 Satellite
WED,THU,FRI,SUN
9:00-17:00
paperwastage is offline  
Old Feb 4, 21, 4:03 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 7,891
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
shower @ NH Suite lounge was open when I was there in Nov (doubt they would change)

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32814730-post87.html

would recommend shopping first before going to lounge - there were one or two stores that were open before entering lounge, but closed after.

some have 4:30pm/5pm/5:30pm closing time and not open all 7 days, see pdf below
https://www.narita-airport.jp/files/...atinghours.pdf

eg
Fa-So-La DRUGSTORE 第2サテライト店
Fa-So-La DRUGSTORE No.2 Satellite
WED,THU,FRI,SUN
9:00-17:00
Great advice. Will do.
Thanks.
goodeats21 is offline  
Old Feb 10, 21, 6:17 pm
  #71  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 20,406
This may seem like a silly question, but...have a relative who has purchased an AA/CX ticket, USA-NRT-HKG, normal ~2 hour layover, single ticket. How do I prove to them that NRT transit is "sterile" and perfectly normal & frequent, and that this does not cause any "issues" along the way? I.e., this is not "entering" Japan, nor causing any issues that would disallow boarding in NRT nor arrival in HKG.

21 day quarantine in HK is already planned as required (relative is a permanent resident of HK so no issues there). No issues w/ getting the negative PCR test in the US prior to departure too.

Many thanks.
UA-NYC is offline  
Old Feb 10, 21, 7:54 pm
  #72  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 13,056
It is not easy to prove the non existence of obstacles to a transit. But maybe the description of the transit procedure without security check when arriving at Narita from the US is still on the airport website. The flow certainly still is in place.
UA-NYC likes this.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Feb 10, 21, 9:11 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,278
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
This may seem like a silly question, but...have a relative who has purchased an AA/CX ticket, USA-NRT-HKG, normal ~2 hour layover, single ticket. How do I prove to them that NRT transit is "sterile" and perfectly normal & frequent, and that this does not cause any "issues" along the way? I.e., this is not "entering" Japan, nor causing any issues that would disallow boarding in NRT nor arrival in HKG.

21 day quarantine in HK is already planned as required (relative is a permanent resident of HK so no issues there). No issues w/ getting the negative PCR test in the US prior to departure too.

Many thanks.
Get to airport early
Timaticweb allows you to input the trip including transit, or use their map utility to lookup japan
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nal-travel.jsp
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

It would say something like transit-japan: allowed, passengers via NRT must transit same calendar day
paperwastage is offline  
Old Feb 11, 21, 6:50 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,627
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
It would say something like transit-japan: allowed, passengers via NRT must transit same calendar day
What happens if you fly to NRT and while you are there, your connecting flight is cancelled and you are forced to stay the night in Japan? The airport is closed during the night, so you can't stay there.
Im a new user is offline  
Old Feb 11, 21, 11:53 am
  #75  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,278
Originally Posted by Im a new user View Post
What happens if you fly to NRT and while you are there, your connecting flight is cancelled and you are forced to stay the night in Japan? The airport is closed during the night, so you can't stay there.
That's part of irrops and it sucks. No idea what would happen, part of the risk. You may be put on another flight back stateside
also, the next flight to hkg destination may be in 3 days, not ideal either if you were going thru HND (which allows overnight transit)

Ideally you'll schedule via HND, but that's not always feasible. That's part of researching as much as you can and figuring out a backup plan (i.e. don't get on plane if there's a 6 hour delay from usa, check schedule of OW flights from HND-HKG and requesting reroute).

Obviously more complicated if you require a confirmed hotel appointment for quarantine with a small window to arrival, like australia
paperwastage is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: