Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:04 am

Programs: AA Exp, Hyatt Diamond, IHG RA, Fairmont Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Kumar2013
I concur with Nishimark.

Immigration is a must and that makes it a nuisance for those with domestic connections. My wife's family lives in Osaka and for the past two years our visits to Japan have had to be on direct KIX tickets rather than NRT/HND and then domestic to KIX.
I fixed my post above to indicate that I will be transiting international via HND instead of NRT. But from what you say, I can’t make the HND-KIX connection without going through immigration. Obviously throws a wrench into my plans but appreciate the information.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: SA, JAL, EK
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
As long as the connection is under 24 hours it is fine.
I should add that once inside HND, there's no real check on how long you spend in the transit area. I had two tedious 14 hour overnight transits at HND and there was no trouble sleeping in the transit area - there's quite a few people at night and the security checks are minimal and unobtrusive (usually a single officer checking with a torch to make sure no drunks). The 24 hour rule quoted (if there is one) would therefore be only for the check in staff to ensure.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by holycow4
I fixed my post above to indicate that I will be transiting international via HND instead of NRT. But from what you say, I can’t make the HND-KIX connection without going through immigration. Obviously throws a wrench into my plans but appreciate the information.
You can't fly HND KIX without entering Japan, that's a domestic flight. That would be like flying LAX SFO.
nishimark and Exec_Plat like this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Kumar2013
I should add that once inside HND, there's no real check on how long you spend in the transit area. I had two tedious 14 hour overnight transits at HND and there was no trouble sleeping in the transit area - there's quite a few people at night and the security checks are minimal and unobtrusive (usually a single officer checking with a torch to make sure no drunks). The 24 hour rule quoted (if there is one) would therefore be only for the check in staff to ensure.
​​​​​​
There is one, and it will be verified at check-in.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You can't fly HND KIX without entering Japan, that's a domestic flight. That would be like flying LAX SFO.
Trying to find any way I can get to Seoul via Tokyo. Was thinking of booking Zipair flight 23 LAX-NRT which arrives in T1 and then depart same day T1 Ethiopian 673 NRT-ICN. However Zipair is telling me that I will need to go through immigration upon arrival into NRT. Is there any way to transit between international flights within T1?
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: whatever it takes
Called NGO airport and spoke in English. They spoke good enough english. After some initial confusion they said to ask JAL for some kind of "transit pass" that would allow one to go to the capsule hotel or other nearby hotel perhaps.

Calling JAL is going nowhere...but hold music.

May just change my flight and give up on this one (Hello, ExpertFlyer - EVA. Too bad ExpertFlyer doesn't do JAL) or fly coach direct to avoid this mess. I really would like to fly the JAL Sky Suite though, never flown that before.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: SA, JAL, EK
Trying to find any way I can get to Seoul via Tokyo. Was thinking of booking Zipair flight 23 LAX-NRT which arrives in T1 and then depart same day T1 Ethiopian 673 NRT-ICN. However Zipair is telling me that I will need to go through immigration upon arrival into NRT. Is there any way to transit between international flights within T1?
How about SQ 11 from LAX landing at NRT at 5-50 pm with the 9 pm connection on Ethiopian - both are Star Alliance members so luggage should be checked through.

Your Zip Air advice must be on account of the lack of through check in. If you dont have check-in bags no immigration needed for that itinerary.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
I was under the impression that I could take an airside shuttle from T3 to T1 in order to connect to the JAL flight from HND-KIX. So you are saying that is not possible without going thru immigration? The full routing is SFO-HND (JAL 1, overnight in terminal) - KIX (JAL) - ICN (T’way).
This itinerary is only valid for passengers who qualify for entry into Japan.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
In case it helps anyone, I was able to reach someone at Ethiopian Airlines at NRT who confirmed that the transit desk as well as gate agent would be able to check-in and provide boarding passes for same day flight.
thanks! what's your date?
Old Jun 15, 2022, 1:31 pm

Called JAL about SEA-NRT-NGO-TPE and the rep told me I would be unable to fly domestically NRT-NGO unless I had a visa.

WHich makes the NGO overnight question, moot, if I can't even get there. Ok..well this blows up this plan!
Old Jun 15, 2022, 1:33 pm

Unfortunately so many LAX-NRT nonstops land in the mid-late afternoon, making you unable to board the Asiana 1:20 pm to ICN. I wonder why it's that way for NRT because HND has a 5 am arrival on ANA, but you unfortunately can't shuttle between HND and NRT.

Yeah, it pretty much leaves you with Ethiopian as your only option; and luckily United, ANA, Singapore - all Star Alliance partners, should be able to through check your luggage to ICN from LAX.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by loganre17
thanks! what's your date?
Will be flying Ethiopian NRT-ICN on June 22nd.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 1:49 pm

Problem solved. Able to change to avoid internal Japan flight. SEA-NRT-TPE.

NRT-TPE in economy. SEA-NRT in Sky Suite.
seigex likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by EqualOpp
Problem solved. Able to change to avoid internal Japan flight. SEA-NRT-TPE.

NRT-TPE in economy. SEA-NRT in Sky Suite.
You mentioned your travel is in August. During August you can do the same day transit at NRT on SEA-NRT-TPE. My original post is a moot point.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Jun 15, 2022 at 3:09 pm
Old Jun 16, 2022, 2:28 am

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
I shared my experience earlier with ZipAir. If you can enter Japan, then no problem and can sterile transit with a small hassle while deplaning. If you can’t enter Japan, best to book a refundable same day transit on ZipAir, then cancel and proceed to your intended flight. ZipAir is quite militant with onward flight also being on ZipAir,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.