Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by fallinasleep
I'm considering a HKG-NRT-LAX (JL736/JL62) itinerary in June. The connection is only 75 minutes though. I expect the flight to be full leaving HKG. Is that enough time for bags to make the connection? Thanks

Looking at the flight arrival history isn't helpful, as there have only been four flights in the past three months, and the flight will also be re-timed for a morning departure (instead of overnight).
75 minutes is fine, but there is not really a history of the Hong Kong flights actually operating on a schedule that allows for a connection to the LAX flights. So unless something chances, and hopefully we see heading for more normal times, then the connection will look different than it does right now.
fallinasleep likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 10:32 pm

Is the 'the overnight transit in NRT' rule still on?
I have 2 possible itineraries - both are award tickets and not ideal since the layover is crazy long.

SEA/YVR-NRT-KUL/MNL

However, in both cases the SEA/YVR-NRT flight arrive on arrival day, then the flight out from NRT to KUL/MNL leave the next day. Is this a no-no? If it is - why does JAL still sell it?

If it is allowed - where can transit passenger wait overnight airside? I thought NRT closes at night?
Old Mar 16, 2022, 12:15 am

Programs: ANA Diamond, JAL JGC, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Unless you are a Japanese citizen or resident, no overnight at NRT (because you need to leave the airport and enter the country).

JAL still sells it because some people can take it. Im sure you can still buy a ticket into China if youd like. It doesnt mean on the day of youll be allowed to board the plane though.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 1:59 am

I have tickets R/T Europe-HND in July.

If Japan does not open to tourists I am considering booking a separate ticket to HNL,SYD or somewhere else.
From my understanding separate tickets are allowed when transiting in HND.

But how about baggage, as long as I book with an airline that has interline agreement with the airline flying me to/from HND I should be able to check luggage all the way through?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:16 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
As a result of a Finnair rebooking I have an NRT (international) arrival at 13:30 and a HND (domestic) departure at 18:00, what is the chance to make this connection?
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by freakazoid
As a result of a Finnair rebooking I have an NRT (international) arrival at 13:30 and a HND (domestic) departure at 18:00, what is the chance to make this connection?
You still have to wait for the result of the covid test, means that you can typically be through in 1.5 to 2 hours. Then you need another about 1.5 hours for transport. Luckily domestic only requires you to be through security check 20 minutes before departure, so you can come to the terminal pretty last minute.
freakazoid likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by thebakaronis
I don't understand why airlines are selling tickets like this when overnight at NRT is not allowed. I've even seen lots of cheap fares for flights connecting from HND to NRT (and vice versa), which isn't allowed either. I'd avoid connections in Japan unless it's a short one, doesn't require you to leave the airside, preferably on the same ticket, etc.
Would an overnight at NRT be allowed (with the passenger entering Japan to go to a hotel) for a Japanese citizen?
Old Mar 20, 2022, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Would an overnight at NRT be allowed (with the passenger entering Japan to go to a hotel) for a Japanese citizen?
Citizens and residents are fine for doing that. A bit cumbersome if they are not triple vaxxed and/or coming from the few designated countries. But even then, can be done.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 1:07 am

Is there CoVid19 test requirements for transit passengers ?
I assume most airlines follow the destination requirements?
thx.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikemontri
Is there CoVid19 test requirements for transit passengers ?
I assume most airlines follow the destination requirements?
thx.
No transit requirements in Japan. Only the requirements of your destination country.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: UA GS, AS 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Gberg
Booked a transfer from TK to NH for next week (HND, 3 hour layover).

Saw a report where someone was denied boarding for doing a similar thing in BKK with TK.

Anyone have any experience with TK check-in at IST for Japan?
As CPH-Flyer assured, no problems on the connection. TK staff was confused but once they saw the printed NH onward tickets, they snapped pictures of the NH connection, added it to the PNR, and let us board (took about 5 minutes at check-in and 10 minutes at gate to discuss).
Old Mar 23, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: free agent
Originally Posted by mnbp
In order to transfer HND to NRT, a traveler must be admissible to Japan.
Frustrating that Japan government don't come with ways to do sealed transfers for transit passengers between both airports. I have ANA award JFK-HND ticket in september and I intend to transit through japan but Haneda don't have much to offer at this moment but my flight is in September... Hopefully Japan will open up more by then.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 1:50 pm

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Hi all, I've booked a ticket in May (a month and a half from now) on JL metal using AS miles that has JFK - HND and HND - GMP on the same ticket, following the announcement that Korea is opening for tourists. Flight numbers are JL 5 connecting to JL 95. There is a 3 hour layover at HND. I am a Canadian citizen who is not currently allowed to enter Japan.

I believe this itinerary is okay, since both flights are on the same PNR and I shouldn't have to leave HND. Is there anything else I should take into consideration? Is it generally advisable to look into backup plans in case, for example, JL changes one of the flights to NRT making the connection impossible?
Old Mar 23, 2022, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by etgohomeok
Hi all, I've booked a ticket in May (a month and a half from now) on JL metal using AS miles that has JFK - HND and HND - GMP on the same ticket, following the announcement that Korea is opening for tourists. Flight numbers are JL 5 connecting to JL 95. There is a 3 hour layover at HND. I am a Canadian citizen who is not currently allowed to enter Japan.

I believe this itinerary is okay, since both flights are on the same PNR and I shouldn't have to leave HND. Is there anything else I should take into consideration? Is it generally advisable to look into backup plans in case, for example, JL changes one of the flights to NRT making the connection impossible?
I see no problem. In and out of the international terminal of HND, less than 24 hours, 3 hour layover. Sounds like you're good to go.

Neither JL5 nor JL95 will randomly change a flight to NRT. There were some changes pre-covid and at the beginning of COVID as they were moving international flights from NRT to HND, but I haven't heard of that much recently, and not likely for flights in the next 90 days. Only time that would happen is if the actual flight is canceled and they move you to a new flight, or you are diverted for some reason (unlikely).
Old Mar 23, 2022, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Two potential issues. Right now under Japanese government (admittedly highly odd) rules all flights from China and Korea has to come in to Narita or Kansai International, and JAL has not been operating GMP flights since the beginning of the pandemic. I notice that for May the adjusted timetable for Seoul has a ti be announced sticker on it, which is usually an indicator that they expect a change to the past periods of adjusted timetable, ie something is probably going to be operated from May forward.

June schedule is the unadjusted schedule still.
seigex likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.