Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2021, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by paine445
they also said during COVID they have multiple boarding denials a day (someone was even pulled off plane today....) due to confusion and misunderstandings about docs checks and rules. They made it clear it wasn't United/their fault and rather the government rules - did confirm Guam was good of course as a destination, except that it was full
I’m curious what docs check confusion it was. I’m thinking doing mainland to Guam via NRT. You said it should be a good/valid routing and good to go. What happens when the flight from NRT to Guam is sold out since people can’t enter Japan right now? Will it get denied boarding as well in The US rather than fly to Tokyo and get stuck there until the next day departure to Guam?
Old Dec 19, 2021, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by johnsw1988
I’m curious what docs check confusion it was. I’m thinking doing mainland to Guam via NRT. You said it should be a good/valid routing and good to go. What happens when the flight from NRT to Guam is sold out since people can’t enter Japan right now? Will it get denied boarding as well in The US rather than fly to Tokyo and get stuck there until the next day departure to Guam?
If you have a confirmed ticket to Guam, you'll be ok as long as you follow whatever's in Timatic (need passport, technically you need an antigen test to enter usa etc)

If something happens (eg nrt-guam gets cancelled, or your inbound to NRT delayed and you can't catch Guam flight) then you either

1) get stopped in CONUSA (rescheduled to next available day)

2) stuck in a room overnight at NRT (see the example of multi day NRT airside layover due to PCR test requirements of final country).
johnsw1988 and priobagtag like this.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 4:30 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
for going from japan to usa does anyone know of a cheap testing location that is valid for us entry ?seems narita is 30000yen!
Old Dec 20, 2021, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
for going from japan to usa does anyone know of a cheap testing location that is valid for us entry ?seems narita is 30000yen!
If you are based in the US, just order binaxNow with eMed by Abbott. This is an antigen at home kit that is proctored. About $30-40 per box. You get the result in 15 mins and it is valid for re-entry into the US.

My local library is giving this out away for free. I live in Northern Virginia. But in the past, I ordered them from Optum Store online. But be mindful about the expiration date.
Old Dec 20, 2021, 5:51 pm

see Cost of same-day antigen/PCR test in Japan for travel?

I believe the current usa entry rule is COVID test within one calendar day from your flight (eg Tuesday 5pm flight, your test can be taken anytime on Monday). You should check
Old Dec 20, 2021, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by johnsw1988
If you are based in the US, just order binaxNow with eMed by Abbott. This is an antigen at home kit that is proctored. About $30-40 per box. You get the result in 15 mins and it is valid for re-entry into the US.

My local library is giving this out away for free. I live in Northern Virginia. But in the past, I ordered them from Optum Store online. But be mindful about the expiration date.
thanks-i thought for us entry someone had to watch the test as you did it to validate it?you need a certificate as well i believe...
Old Dec 20, 2021, 7:48 pm

thanks-i thought for us entry someone had to watch the test as you did it to validate it?you need a certificate as well i believe...
The binaxnow emed includes online video monitoring of the test (plus certificate)

(Same test kit sells at walmart, binaxnow 2 tests @ $14. But no monitoring and hence Walmart vrsion doesn't qualify for usa entry)

Last edited by paperwastage; Dec 20, 2021 at 8:36 pm
Old Dec 20, 2021, 9:23 pm

i see-thanks for letting me know-is it easy to get an appointment?

i
Old Dec 21, 2021, 7:05 pm

No appointment needed - just call the number. last time I used it around thanksgiving, there wasn’t any wait time when calling. Make sure you register/create account first, and don’t open the box unless instructed so. Also I didn’t even use a computer, just my iPhone. They will watch/proctor you while waiting for the 15 mins. Once done, they will send you the certificate of negative test to your email.

be sure to get binaxnow with eMed. Their branding is a bit confusing because one with eMed (good for travel, and the box is like navy color), and the other is self test (no proctor, no certificate, I think the box is like light blue color).

i see-thanks for letting me know-is it easy to get an appointment?

i
Old Dec 22, 2021, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Won’t work. You can’t fly US-Japan-US just as you can’t fly Canada-Japan-Canada. Hence the previous suggestion to fly Canada-Japan-US which would be an acceptable routing.
Originally Posted by paine445
Won't work as in UA will see it as a destination of Japan? United's Travel-Ready Center took it as a Japan transit, EWR-NRT-LAX. Will keep the Canada-Japan-US suggestion in mind!
Following up on the discussion from above... Does this mean that a DFW-LAX-NRT-YVR-DFW would be possible on JAL (with DFW-LAX and YVR-DFW on AA)? I understand it would likely still be up to the desk/gate agents, but per the "third country" rules?
Old Dec 22, 2021, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ctexas15
Following up on the discussion from above... Does this mean that a DFW-LAX-NRT-YVR-DFW would be possible on JAL (with DFW-LAX and YVR-DFW on AA)? I understand it would likely still be up to the desk/gate agents, but per the "third country" rules?
I wonder if that would not hit a cabotage issue. US to US on a non US carrier.... But at least in terms of the Narita transit, it would be to a third country
Old Dec 22, 2021, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I wonder if that would not hit a cabotage issue. US to US on a non US carrier.... But at least in terms of the Narita transit, it would be to a third country
Would the same potential cabotage rules apply on a "round trip" ticket vs. a "multi-city" ticket? With all flights being the same, would the system look at them differently?

On a similar note, would the NRT transit be looked at differently on a "round trip" ticket vs. a "multi-city" ticket?
Old Dec 22, 2021, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Originally Posted by ctexas15
Would the same potential cabotage rules apply on a "round trip" ticket vs. a "multi-city" ticket? With all flights being the same, would the system look at them differently? On a similar note, would the NRT transit be looked at differently on a "round trip" ticket vs. a "multi-city" ticket?
Your odds are slim IMO. IF you made it to NRT, I don’t see a problem. Your challenge is going to be whether you will be allow to board at DFW or LAX. You are on a US to US ticket and not permitted to enter Japan. If you had a YVR stopover or your ticket was DFW-LAX-NRT-YVR, then no problem.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 7:41 am

Programs: free agent
I got one way ANA F award ticket JFK-HND, and no idea what Japan will do about tourists in September. I know no one will know what happens in September. Let's say Japan don't open. Is it easy for me to get seperate ticket with JAL in transit after arriving HND via ANA flight? Any experiences with ANA-JAL separate ticket in HND during pandemic era? Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2021, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by washeelers747
I got one way ANA F award ticket JFK-HND, and no idea what Japan will do about tourists in September. I know no one will know what happens in September. Let's say Japan don't open. Is it easy for me to get seperate ticket with JAL in transit after arriving HND via ANA flight? Any experiences with ANA-JAL separate ticket in HND during pandemic era? Thanks!
Separate tickets to a 3rd country is generally not an issue. Just max 24 hours in Haneda, and no movement to Narita.
washeelers747 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.