Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Old Oct 26, 2021, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA *1K
Folks,
I am a US Citizen traveling ANA, DEL-HND-SFO on November 9th. I arrive in HND at 6:00 AM and my connecting flight to SFO is at 10:55 PM which is a whopping 16 hour 50 minute layover. The transit hotel in Terminal 3 is closed but the Royal Park JP hotel which is connected to Terminal 3 albeit you have to leave the security area to get there, is open. I obviously will get myself tested 72 hours prior to departure from DEL and I have vaccination records etc. Getting into USA is not the issue. I am wondering if I can leave the Airport to go the hotel connected to it for the duration of the day instead of languishing 16 hours in the lounge. I am not getting any answers on ANA website and the customer service lady was unable to answer my question. Can anyone shed any light?
Old Oct 26, 2021, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Mttrnd
Been reading through this thread thoroughly and hope that I already hope any answer will be a simple "yes", but just looking if the hive-mind could confirm my understanding is correct...

Planning to fly LHR-HND-LAX r/t on ANA in November.

I know the long way round, but had 2x F in the LHR-HND-LHR booked from ages ago that I didn't want to waste, can't enter Japan, and prices for J/F going the 'correct way' don't sway me at the moment.

Details are:
  • All on separate but confirmed tickets (one-way VS awards for each sector, and some with my partner and I on the same itinerary, some separately)
  • Awkwardly one of the tickets is missing my middle name, which they will not change, but I have travelled on ANA previously with my middle name missing without issue
  • Importantly (I feel) the sector for entering the USA is ticketed with my middle name, which matches my passport and vaccination proof
  • Same-day transit in HND T3, comfortable ~6 hours connection time each way
  • Will have antigen test appropriate for entering the USA
  • Will have proof of vaccination, ESTA, and any other declaration / paperwork the USA mandates
  • Will NOT have a PCR test or any other documentation required for entry into Japan

Does this sound like it will work?

The ANA website has lots of warnings about denying boarding without valid PCR test for entry to Japan, but elsewhere advises that no documentation needs to be submitted if transiting. Am I fine to completely ignore the PCR test?

Thanks all
That should all be fine. Generally I'd say make sure to have a print of all your e-tickets as well, they may ask to see proof of the whole itinerary.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kmsutra
Folks,
I am a US Citizen traveling ANA, DEL-HND-SFO on November 9th. I arrive in HND at 6:00 AM and my connecting flight to SFO is at 10:55 PM which is a whopping 16 hour 50 minute layover. The transit hotel in Terminal 3 is closed but the Royal Park JP hotel which is connected to Terminal 3 albeit you have to leave the security area to get there, is open. I obviously will get myself tested 72 hours prior to departure from DEL and I have vaccination records etc. Getting into USA is not the issue. I am wondering if I can leave the Airport to go the hotel connected to it for the duration of the day instead of languishing 16 hours in the lounge. I am not getting any answers on ANA website and the customer service lady was unable to answer my question. Can anyone shed any light?
No, you can't leave the airport. You'll have to spend the 16 hours airside in the terminal.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That should all be fine. Generally I'd say make sure to have a print of all your e-tickets as well, they may ask to see proof of the whole itinerary.
Thanks for looking at this.

Spoken to ANA on the phone too - they didn't seem too spooked by the plan and made some annotations on the bookings about the plan to connect. Confirmed no need for PCR test. They were mainly keen to stress that they should be able to - but couldn't guarantee - through check of bags.

My main concern remains the slight variation in ticketed names across the bookings (middle name on one booking, not on the other). APIS/SFPD submitted is identical however. If I were taking the flights in isolation I wouldn't be worried. It is more that it might throw off an airport agent with the already not-so-straightfoward situation.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I'm looking at using an award flight I have booked, flying in to NRT, for Christmas week to Tokyo as a base flight for onward travel to BKK given that Japan likely won't be open by then. Now that Thailand has opened, I'm thinking about canceling my change to Sweden, and using this LAX-NRT ticket with a separate ticket to fly in to BKK. How feasible is the connection time on these flights?

12/25 arrival @ 4:45PM in to NRT T2 JAL61 J LAX-NRT
12/25 departure @ 6:10PM from NRT T2 JAL707 Y NRT-BKK

1/1 arrival @ 3:55PM in to NRT T2 JAL708 Y BKK-NRT
1/1 departure @ 5:05PM from NRT T2 JAL62 J NRT-LAX

I know this is pretty close and doesn't give much wiggle room for late flights, but being that it's the same terminal, and with my seats being next to the exit for quick offload, would this be enough time for a transit connection? Pre-covid I could have made this with no problem, but I'm not sure how things are these days. Luggage will be carryon only.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seigex
I'm looking at using an award flight I have booked, flying in to NRT, for Christmas week to Tokyo as a base flight for onward travel to BKK given that Japan likely won't be open by then. Now that Thailand has opened, I'm thinking about canceling my change to Sweden, and using this LAX-NRT ticket with a separate ticket to fly in to BKK. How feasible is the connection time on these flights?

12/25 arrival @ 4:45PM in to NRT T2 JAL61 J LAX-NRT
12/25 departure @ 6:10PM from NRT T2 JAL707 Y NRT-BKK

1/1 arrival @ 3:55PM in to NRT T2 JAL708 Y BKK-NRT
1/1 departure @ 5:05PM from NRT T2 JAL62 J NRT-LAX

I know this is pretty close and doesn't give much wiggle room for late flights, but being that it's the same terminal, and with my seats being next to the exit for quick offload, would this be enough time for a transit connection? Pre-covid I could have made this with no problem, but I'm not sure how things are these days. Luggage will be carryon only.
Transit does not take any longer than before, maybe even shorter as connecting passengers are taken off the flight first. Coming from the US, the "no transfer security" rule in Narita is still in place, so should be pretty painless. To keep organised, all disembarkation is only from L1.

The risk in the connection is really do you want to risk it on a separate ticket, where it is your own cost if there is a delay?
seigex likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 4:46 pm

Transit does not take any longer than before, maybe even shorter as connecting passengers are taken off the flight first. Coming from the US, the "no transfer security" rule in Narita is still in place, so should be pretty painless. To keep organised, all disembarkation is only from L1.

The risk in the connection is really do you want to risk it on a separate ticket, where it is your own cost if there is a delay?
Thanks CPH-Flyer I wasn't sure if that rule was still in place, that's great to hear. It's definitely risky, but if I decide to go this route, I can manage that risk.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks CPH-Flyer I wasn't sure if that rule was still in place, that's great to hear. It's definitely risky, but if I decide to go this route, I can manage that risk.
The shorter connection is from BKK which does require transit security, but January first is probably a rather quiet travel day....
seigex likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:42 am

Just to make sure I'm fully aware of all potential risks, with it being NRT with no overnight stays, what happens if hypothetically I miss the last flight out before the terminal closes? I'm assuming immigration won't be too happy, but I can't find any data points to see what actually happens.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to make sure I'm fully aware of all potential risks, with it being NRT with no overnight stays, what happens if hypothetically I miss the last flight out before the terminal closes? I'm assuming immigration won't be too happy, but I can't find any data points to see what actually happens.
If it is known before the departure to Tokyo. You would probably be off loaded. And would have to wait at the point of origin for the next possible connection. The best guess for what would happen should you miss the last flight out, you would probably be "detained" somewhere in the terminal. Basically staying at a secure location, so you can't roam the terminal and can't runaway in to the country either.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 5:39 pm

Thanks for the insight, just wondering would happen in the worst case scenario.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 8:26 pm

Programs: Delta
If it is known before the departure to Tokyo. You would probably be off loaded. And would have to wait at the point of origin for the next possible connection. The best guess for what would happen should you miss the last flight out, you would probably be "detained" somewhere in the terminal. Basically staying at a secure location, so you can't roam the terminal and can't runaway in to the country either.
Since it is not a "connection" but rather two separate tickets, would they even allow boarding at initial point of departure?
Old Nov 1, 2021, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nishimark
Since it is not a "connection" but rather two separate tickets, would they even allow boarding at initial point of departure?
Transit on separate tickets through Tokyo has generally been allowed throughout the pandemic. I know people who have done it, it has been reported on FT multiple times. Even for people not allowed to enter Japan.
nishimark and seigex like this.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 10:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Transit on separate tickets through Tokyo has generally been allowed throughout the pandemic. I know people who have done it, it has been reported on FT multiple times. Even for people not allowed to enter Japan.
I am looking to connect in Narita on separate tickets. My understanding is that it is allowed but the airline for the flight to Japan may deny boarding if they are not persuaded by the separate ticket connecting out of Narita. Is that an accurate summary? Can you direct me to where people have reported doing so successfully? Would you rate doing this as a big risk, or do you think as long as I provide the evidence of the onward ticket and give myself plenty of time in original departure airport, i should be fine? Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2021, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Enigma368
I am looking to connect in Narita on separate tickets. My understanding is that it is allowed but the airline for the flight to Japan may deny boarding if they are not persuaded by the separate ticket connecting out of Narita. Is that an accurate summary? Can you direct me to where people have reported doing so successfully? Would you rate doing this as a big risk, or do you think as long as I provide the evidence of the onward ticket and give myself plenty of time in original departure airport, i should be fine? Thanks!
There are a couple of threads where Japan transit comes up. This is the main one, so you'd probably find the reports here.

Your understanding is correct, I rate the risk of not being allowed to board quite low if you have your papers in order and with you. And allow yourself plenty of time for check in and transit. Don't show up and expect the check-in to take the usually 30 seconds. What is your exact routing?
​​​​

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.