Old May 21, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
Print Wikipost

Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2021, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by wmaciej
Timatic doesn’t mention a need for PCR (or any for that matter) test for an airside transit in Japan (HND). Am I correct in thinking that if the destination country doesn’t require one, NH staff are not going to ask for it at checkin?
Yes.
wmaciej likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Transit in Japan on separate tickets has not caused any reported issues so far. So that should be fine.
But transit between NRT and HND for foreign nationals is still not allowed, correct? I think that was the poster’s original conundrum.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by triplefives
But transit between NRT and HND for foreign nationals is still not allowed, correct? I think that was the poster’s original conundrum.
Transit between Haneda and Narita is not allowed, correct. The way the poster I replied to wanted to get around it by continuing to Bangkok on a separate ticket staying there, and then returning from Bangkok to the other airport would work from a Japan transit perspective.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 11:38 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Transit between Haneda and Narita is not allowed, correct. The way the poster I replied to wanted to get around it by continuing to Bangkok on a separate ticket staying there, and then returning from Bangkok to the other airport would work from a Japan transit perspective.
Ah - you're right. Wishful thinking on my part - I can't wait for the day they let me transit between the two!
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:08 pm

Hello all, been reading up on the various official sites (including Japan's) on transit rules and have also been following this thread for awhile.

I'm currently about to pull the trigger on two separate international tickets. One is in JL, one is in NH. Would I be correct for the following?
  • Interational transits in HND are allowed if they are less than 24 hours
  • Separate tickets are fine, so long as I can show I have an onward journey from HND within less than 24 hours
  • I don't have to take a PDT, if entry requirements for my final destination doesn't require one.

Do let me know if I'm wrong about any of the above, or if there are other factors I should also take note of.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Very helpful thread. Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.

If my understanding is correct, please correct me if I am wrong (US Citizen travelling) :

I have a NH-UA itinerary: SIN-NRT-SFO next month:

1. NRT transit is fine (less than 3 hours)
2. PCR test taken 48 hours (negative result shown) before NH flight for taking the flight out of SIN, NRT transit and also for US entry
3. No other restrictions or procedures need to follow

Please confirm if above understanding is correct.

Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2021, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Very helpful thread. Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.

If my understanding is correct, please correct me if I am wrong (US Citizen travelling) :

I have a NH-UA itinerary: SIN-NRT-SFO next month:

1. NRT transit is fine (less than 3 hours)
2. PCR test taken 48 hours (negative result shown) before NH flight for taking the flight out of SIN, NRT transit and also for US entry
3. No other restrictions or procedures need to follow

Please confirm if above understanding is correct.

Thanks
1. Yes
2. Yes, basically for the US entry requirements. Not sure if Singapore has any requirements, I doubt it though.
3. Not from a Japan perspective.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 3:36 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Looking at transiting through Haneda in June. Obviously things could change by then, but per Jal site, the Sakura lounge is closed but the first class lounge is open. Does anyone know what (if any) lounge JAL business gets in Haneda right now? Thanks!
Old Oct 16, 2021, 4:50 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by Braswch
Looking at transiting through Haneda in June.
That’s some serious advance planning!
Old Oct 17, 2021, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Braswch
Looking at transiting through Haneda in June. Obviously things could change by then, but per Jal site, the Sakura lounge is closed but the first class lounge is open. Does anyone know what (if any) lounge JAL business gets in Haneda right now? Thanks!
The first class lounge, all lounge eligible passengers are sent there at the moment.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by wunderpit
That’s some serious advance planning!
Pre-Covid it would indeed be advanced planning. Now that the US has announced reopening everyone and their brother is trying to book seats right now for next summer.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 3:45 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
If you are transiting at the same airport and stay airside, yes, you can do that. What you can't do is fly into NRT then out from HND. And your connecting flight has to be leaving that same day. This is according to the US Embassy.

https://jp.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

You also can't take a domestic connection until you've been quarantined as Japanese officials may require. That's why NH has been offering random flights from, say, IAH to KIX.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 7:42 pm

I fly BKK-NRT-DFW next week. First leg is JAL and second is AA. JAL sent me a link to CDC travel requirements and say I can follow those. I have documentation of recovery from Covid that match the CDC requirements so shouldn't have to test. However, when I show those documents to JAL social media locally here in Thailand I have been given mixed information about whether those documents will be accepted. One person says no and then another says yes. Have you heard of anyone traveling with documentation of recovery transiting NRT? My original positive PCR test several weeks ago was likely a false positive so I'm terrified I'll get put in a hospital for 2 more weeks on yet another false positive if they make me get tested instead of using documentation of recovery.

My kids are going with me and the airline says they can do antigen tests. Hopefully that's true but now I trust nothing I read from JAL.
Old Oct 21, 2021, 8:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by flyer487
I fly BKK-NRT-DFW next week. First leg is JAL and second is AA. JAL sent me a link to CDC travel requirements and say I can follow those. I have documentation of recovery from Covid that match the CDC requirements so shouldn't have to test. However, when I show those documents to JAL social media locally here in Thailand I have been given mixed information about whether those documents will be accepted. One person says no and then another says yes. Have you heard of anyone traveling with documentation of recovery transiting NRT? My original positive PCR test several weeks ago was likely a false positive so I'm terrified I'll get put in a hospital for 2 more weeks on yet another false positive if they make me get tested instead of using documentation of recovery.

My kids are going with me and the airline says they can do antigen tests. Hopefully that's true but now I trust nothing I read from JAL.
Be careful as to what kind of antigen test it is. Japan is particular (doesn't apply to you since you are transiting), but I am not sure about the US.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 9:47 am

Been reading through this thread thoroughly and hope that I already hope any answer will be a simple "yes", but just looking if the hive-mind could confirm my understanding is correct...

Planning to fly LHR-HND-LAX r/t on ANA in November.

I know the long way round, but had 2x F in the LHR-HND-LHR booked from ages ago that I didn't want to waste, can't enter Japan, and prices for J/F going the 'correct way' don't sway me at the moment.

Details are:
  • All on separate but confirmed tickets (one-way VS awards for each sector, and some with my partner and I on the same itinerary, some separately)
  • Awkwardly one of the tickets is missing my middle name, which they will not change, but I have travelled on ANA previously with my middle name missing without issue
  • Importantly (I feel) the sector for entering the USA is ticketed with my middle name, which matches my passport and vaccination proof
  • Same-day transit in HND T3, comfortable ~6 hours connection time each way
  • Will have antigen test appropriate for entering the USA
  • Will have proof of vaccination, ESTA, and any other declaration / paperwork the USA mandates
  • Will NOT have a PCR test or any other documentation required for entry into Japan

Does this sound like it will work?

The ANA website has lots of warnings about denying boarding without valid PCR test for entry to Japan, but elsewhere advises that no documentation needs to be submitted if transiting. Am I fine to completely ignore the PCR test?

Thanks all

Last edited by Mttrnd; Oct 26, 2021 at 9:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.