Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

US citizen trying to travel to Japan (coronavirus-related)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US citizen trying to travel to Japan (coronavirus-related)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2020, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm somewhat surprised that OP's physical presence in the USA is absolutely required. Many courts are now using zoom (or similar) for various proceedings, from the Supreme Court to marriages and it seems possible to send one's lawyer in many circumstances too.
hailstorm likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
The Mexico loophole is going away:
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...-pandemic.html

Japan on Tuesday raised its travel alert for 13 countries to its second-highest level, warning against any trips to these areas as new coronavirus infections continue to spread globally.

Foreign Minister Toshimitsu Motegi told a press conference that foreign travelers who have been in the 13 nations -- which include five South and Central American countries, including Mexico, Uruguay and Colombia -- within two weeks of arriving in Japan will be denied entry following the upgraded advisory.

The entry ban will be finalized soon after talks at the National Security Council and a government task force meeting on the virus outbreak.
You could probably consult with North Korea on the best way to sneak into Japan.
Old May 12, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by hailstorm
The Mexico loophole is going away:
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...-pandemic.html

You could probably consult with North Korea on the best way to sneak into Japan.
I would bet they would say by boat.
It seems to work better than with a fake passport from Latin America (most of the countries are now banned, plus Tokyo Disneyland is closed).
Old May 12, 2020, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just ask yourself "What would Kim Jong Nam do?"

Then don't do that.
acregal likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
That leaves Palau. (You could also go through Cambodia via charter, but wouldn't you rather spend two weeks in Palau.)
Old May 12, 2020, 8:40 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by 5khours
That leaves Palau. (You could also go through Cambodia via charter, but wouldn't you rather spend two weeks in Palau.)
Cambodia probably wouldn't work because of their own travel bans. So Palau it is, I suppose.
Old May 12, 2020, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This article implies that Palau has shut its borders to the rest of the world.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN21X10Q

As the contagion closes in and outbreaks grow in surrounding nations, President Tommy Remengesau has taken the bold step of shutting off his tourism-dependent nation, and is ready to keep it shut until the rest of the world is over the worst.
It's also not a country you'd want to be stuck in if an outbreak did take place.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 10:45 pm

This article implies that Palau has shut its borders to the rest of the world.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN21X10Q

It's also not a country you'd want to be stuck in if an outbreak did take place.
Yep. They just down almost all commercial flights. That's why you need to charter a jet. And if an outbreak did occur, you could just hop the charter back to GUM.
Old May 12, 2020, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
Cambodia probably wouldn't work because of their own travel bans. So Palau it is, I suppose.
Cambodia is still pretty open, but all the direct flights come from places that won't allow entry from the U.S., so you would have to charter to get to Cambodia, and there are no directs from Cambodia to Japan so would have to charter that leg as well.
Old May 16, 2020, 5:45 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
In an effort to help others, I will recount the outcome of my discussions over the last week.

While the Japanese immigration attorney I hired to go to Shinagawa and Narita was unsuccessful in persuading the authorities to grant a reentry permit based on my circumstances, I was finally able to speak to the US Embassy thanks to a personal connection. They were incredibly understanding and kind, took down all of the information and contacted local authorities in the states to verify, and spoke to their direct contacts within the Japanese government.

They indicated:

1.) There is no appetite to consider the welfare of a newborn under extraordinary or special circumstances as if one parent is in Japan, that is sufficient, even if that parent is hospitalized or unconscious. (yes, they specified exactly this)
2.) Foreign nationals are free to leave Japan at any time and are currently encouraged to return home if they can as well as to heed to advice of their own country’s governments.
3.) Exceptions ARE being made by Japan for foreigners being granted entry intro the country for situations including death or hospitalization of an immediate family member due to coronavirus specifically. It’s not clear if other illnesses qualify.
4.) The welfare of non Japanese citizens abroad (as in my case) isn’t a concern of the Japanese government even if they are the non Japanese citizen children of a Japanese resident or Japanese citizen. Such as in the case of adoption of an unrelated dependent who hasn’t been granted Japanese citizenship.
5.) Finally, all of these things may change at a moment’s notice due to coronavirus.

So basically, nothing new here. No empathy based on their rules, which I think are fair rules given the local government can and should set their own policies. The Shinagawa officer literally said they are prioritizing Japanese citizens only and considering their protection from coronavirus. I can’t say what he’s saying is wrong, despite that it puts me in a very difficult situation personally.

For me it’s like the classic riddle of, you’re drowning, so do you save your wife or your child... fortunately death isn’t a likely outcome in this situation.

Thanks to all for your thoughts.
LapLap, acregal, joejones and 3 others like this.
Old May 16, 2020, 2:20 pm

@ainternational

thank you for sharing your story. I am very sorry for your predicament.

I've been planning to resettle in Jpn at some point (but unsure on the right timing), but this time as a permanent resident. Definitely won't give up my American citizenship.
Anecdotes like this don't help me feel optimistic, but this is good to hear.

This Coronavirus thing has confirmed some good things about Jpn, but has for the most part has reinforced its problems.
Gov't incompetence, haphazard healthcare system, underdeveloped IT culture, gaijin slaves apprentices left hung out to dry, vulnerability of 'haken' workers, stifling peer pressure (likely means you have no choice but to wear masks just to walk outside in oppressive heat this summer).

Jpn obviously has many great things going for itself, but I wonder if it's a good place to be if a crisis happens and you're living there particularly as a non-citizen working on contract.
Old May 16, 2020, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
Jpn obviously has many great things going for itself, but I wonder if it's a good place to be if a crisis happens and you're living there particularly as a non-citizen working on contract.
It's worked out great for me, especially compared to what I see on US news and what my mother tells me is happening there. But of course, YMMV.
evergrn likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by ainternational
In an effort to help others, I will recount the outcome of my discussions over the last week.

So basically, nothing new here. No empathy based on their rules, which I think are fair rules given the local government can and should set their own policies. The Shinagawa officer literally said they are prioritizing Japanese citizens only and considering their protection from coronavirus. I can’t say what he’s saying is wrong, despite that it puts me in a very difficult situation personally.

For me it’s like the classic riddle of, you’re drowning, so do you save your wife or your child... fortunately death isn’t a likely outcome in this situation.

Thanks to all for your thoughts.
Sorry you're having such a hard time. FWIW, I just got an extension on my period of stay in Japan. What I was told was...
  • Anyone in Japan as temporary visitor is expected to return to their home country,
  • Risk of contracting Covid during travel is not a reason for an extension.
  • Work is not a reason for an extension.
  • Having family in Japan is not a reason for an extension.
  • The only reason for an extension is if you can't not get a flight or make travel arrangements to get back to your home country. (Fortunately the bar for this last one is fairly low.)
Japan seems like the only country that won't allow spouses or children of citizens to enter the country. IMHO this barbaric. Someone who is young and energetic should be suing the government over this one.
evergrn likes this.
Old May 17, 2020, 4:18 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by 5khours
Japan seems like the only country that won't allow spouses or children of citizens to enter the country.
My understanding is that spouses and children can come in *unless* they left Japan after the travel restrictions were announced.

IATA keeps a good worldwide database of restrictions here: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm
Old May 17, 2020, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
My understanding is that spouses and children can come in *unless* they left Japan after the travel restrictions were announced.

IATA keeps a good worldwide database of restrictions here: https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm
Actually it is not limited to spouses and children, and it only applies to those who left Japan on a re-entry permit. So for example, a non-citizen child can not travel to visit a parent in Japan regardless of parent nationality. A non-Japanese spouse who now has to travel out of Japan for death in the family, etc., can return to Japan to reunite with their spouse after leaving the country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.