Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

US citizen trying to travel to Japan (coronavirus-related)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US citizen trying to travel to Japan (coronavirus-related)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2020, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jib71
The land border with Guatemala appears to be open
But Americans can't get to Guatemala.
Old May 10, 2020, 4:31 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by hailstorm
But Americans can't get to Guatemala.
Not directly, it seems, but I'll bet that Joe can find us a loophole. ;-)
[Winky emoticon for the mirthfully-challenged indicates humorous intent]

Last edited by jib71; May 10, 2020 at 4:41 am
Old May 11, 2020, 3:53 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
I have an attorney here in Tokyo working on getting me a special travel waiver for pre approved readmittance into Japan. I have had a law enforcement related emergency arise in America and have had the US federal government intercede and provide verified documentation of the situation which involves the welfare of dependents. Even in this extraordinary circumstance where I am required by US law to return to America, the attorney has found that initial feedback isn’t positive in terms of the Japanese government’s willingness to allow re-entry. I am a Japanese resident and CEO of a listed company.

But as we all learn, in Japan, the rules are the rules...
Old May 11, 2020, 6:59 am

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by jib71
Not directly, it seems, but I'll bet that Joe can find us a loophole. ;-)
[Winky emoticon for the mirthfully-challenged indicates humorous intent]
I am sure you can always take a boat.....
Old May 11, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by ainternational
I have an attorney here in Tokyo working on getting me a special travel waiver for pre approved readmittance into Japan. I have had a law enforcement related emergency arise in America and have had the US federal government intercede and provide verified documentation of the situation which involves the welfare of dependents. Even in this extraordinary circumstance where I am required by US law to return to America, the attorney has found that initial feedback isn’t positive in terms of the Japanese government’s willingness to allow re-entry. I am a Japanese resident and CEO of a listed company.

Maybe it's time to hire a yacht and cruise across the Pacific. After 14 days at sea you should be clear to enter Japan...
Old May 11, 2020, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, good luck with that, but in all fairness, why should having to return to America entitle you to be able to return to Japan? Coronavirus doesn't care about people's circumstances. Japan is only obligated to look after its own citizens.
Old May 11, 2020, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP

As far as I can tell, the cheapest/easiest way to do it is...

SFO > HNL
HNL > GUM
Charter (or UA on June 11) GUM > ROR
14 Days Self Quarantine in Palau
Charter ROR > NRT/KIX

With jet fuel at 52 cents a gallon, the charters "should" be cheapish, but I've heard demand is high.
Old May 11, 2020, 7:19 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I think Mexico would be cheaper as it can be done entirely with commercial flights (ANA's MEX-NRT red-eye is still operating 3x a week). Though given the choice between MEX and ROR for 14 days, I'd take ROR.
Old May 11, 2020, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks to Carlos Ghosn, I'm thinking that foreigners are in for a much more difficult road to returning to the country now.
Old May 11, 2020, 9:29 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Thanks to Carlos Ghosn, I'm thinking that foreigners are in for a much more difficult road to returning to the country now.
I'm sure they'd make an exception for Carlos Ghosn should he want to return.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:27 pm
mjm
Original Member

How so? In the case of the majority of expats returning to Japan it is unlikely more than a very small fraction would be sought for questioning by the police. Non-Japanese, i.e. those who do not have the right to be here by birth or changed citizenship, will have to wait until the government feels specific countries are OK.
Old May 11, 2020, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm
How so?
In the sense that it brought a lot of blind spots to light, which they've no doubt addressed by now. Additionally, with so few passengers and a need to keep its existing staff due to the difficulty in training new staff when they eventually do resume greater operations, the points of immigration have a lot more time on their hands to be thorough in doing their job.
Old May 12, 2020, 12:11 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue

That sucks - you would think in government verified emergencies they would be listening. Makes me glad that my mother is for the time being reasonably self isolating at home. It sounds like I'd have a swine of a time getting reentry permission should she get ill.
Old May 12, 2020, 12:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
In the sense that it brought a lot of blind spots to light, which they've no doubt addressed by now. Additionally, with so few passengers and a need to keep its existing staff due to the difficulty in training new staff when they eventually do resume greater operations, the points of immigration have a lot more time on their hands to be thorough in doing their job.
One would hope the blind spots they addressed have more to do with exiting the country than coming back in
Old May 12, 2020, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by invalyd
One would hope the blind spots they addressed have more to do with exiting the country than coming back in
I would think there's a more pressing need right now to keep people out of the country, rather than keeping them in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.