Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

US citizen trying to travel to Japan (coronavirus-related)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US citizen trying to travel to Japan (coronavirus-related)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by jib71
Interesting - If you travel on a passport from one of the listed countries / regions, you will need to apply for a visa to enter Japan. The US is not listed.
Also the Japanese Consulate General in HK confirmed that no visa will be granted to HK passport holders.

However as mentioned, USA is not currently on the list.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by beep88
However as mentioned, USA is not currently on the list.
That looks set to change shortly.

The Asahi Shimbun is moving to refuse entry to all foreign nationals travelling on U.S. passports or who have been in the United States for the past two weeks.

The restriction is expected to be decided on as early as next week after coronavirus infections skyrocketed in the United States, making it the country with the highest number of cases.

Discussions are still being held to decide whether the measure would cover all of the United States or just certain parts, government sources said.

All foreign nationals who have been in the United States for the past two weeks would be denied entry unless they had pressing circumstances.
Old May 5, 2020, 1:58 am

Entry Restrictions For Americans Heading To Japan?

Are there any entry restrictions for Americans headed to Japan right now from the US?
Old May 5, 2020, 2:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Yes. You can't go.

https://www.japan.travel/en/coronavirus/
Old May 5, 2020, 5:33 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Lol. Except under “extraordinary” circumstances which are not clearly defined but do not include temporary or permanent Japan residents, spouses of Japanese citizens, or any other non Japanese citizen visa holders.
Old May 5, 2020, 11:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ainternational
Lol. Except under “extraordinary” circumstances which are not clearly defined but do not include temporary or permanent Japan residents, spouses of Japanese citizens, or any other non Japanese citizen visa holders.
Even then, expect to be tested, sit in the airport until your test comes back negative, and not be allowed to use any public transportation (taxi included) to leave the airport.
Old May 6, 2020, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ainternational
I would say “extraordinary” would include SOFA.
Old May 6, 2020, 2:54 am

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by garykung
I would say “extraordinary” would include SOFA.
Japan basically has no say in whether SOFA people can come or not - they literally do not exist for Japanese immigration (and, the opposite is also true - immigration authorities are also irrelevant for SOFA people).

Special permanent residents can come and please as they like - their status is basically the same as Japanese citizens.
Old May 6, 2020, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by acregal
Japan basically has no say in whether SOFA people can come or not - they literally do not exist for Japanese immigration (and, the opposite is also true - immigration authorities are also irrelevant for SOFA people).
Well...SOFA still pass through the typical process...
Old May 6, 2020, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by garykung
Well...SOFA still pass through the typical process...
Technically no - no fingerprints and immigration has no say in whether the person can actually enter. The person could literally be barred from entry into Japan and, if they show up with SOFA status, would have to be admittted.
Old May 7, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
"Extraordinary" also includes life-and-death emergencies from what I understand, but you need advance clearance through the Japanese embassy/consulate, and it is not easy to get.

One loophole I discovered is that there is no ban on travelers from Mexico, so an American could fly to Mexico for a couple of weeks, then take a nonstop flight from MEX (assuming the list of banned countries doesn't change during that time). They would still have to do two weeks of self-quarantine after arrival in Japan, and I have heard that it isn't easy to book hotels in Mexico at the moment...
Q Shoe Guy and jib71 like this.
Old May 7, 2020, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
One loophole I discovered is that there is no ban on travelers from Mexico
Makes no sense.
Ban Taiwan and Korea, but no ban on Mexico?

Mexico is one of the more yabai countries right now as far as Coronavirus is concerned.
Old May 8, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by joejones
"Extraordinary" also includes life-and-death emergencies from what I understand, but you need advance clearance through the Japanese embassy/consulate, and it is not easy to get.

One loophole I discovered is that there is no ban on travelers from Mexico, so an American could fly to Mexico for a couple of weeks, then take a nonstop flight from MEX (assuming the list of banned countries doesn't change during that time). They would still have to do two weeks of self-quarantine after arrival in Japan, and I have heard that it isn't easy to book hotels in Mexico at the moment...
And what makes you think an American could just freely enter Mexico?
The Mexican/US border is closed to nonessential travel.
Old May 8, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by invalyd
The land border with Guatemala appears to be open ... This sushi run is getting more exciting by the minute.
invalyd and rustykettel like this.
Old May 8, 2020, 2:12 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by invalyd
Only the land border.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.