Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2022, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Topcare
Not sure I've seen a country with such a sustained wave like Japan. Couple with continued low testing the positivity rates remain at elevated levels. I'm not sure I want to go to Japan and risk feeling like crap by getting covid again on vacation.
You have to disconnect from reported statistics and re-engage logic -- 80%+ are now at least double / triple vaxxed -- better than almost any country in the world -- Japans unique culture actually encourages and rewards this type of thing -- which perpetuates the status quo -- which is that the world is ending and the system is so strained it will break soon -- except that isn't true at all -- don't live in fear -- Japan is probably the safest country in the world right now -- but you would never know based on this forum -- or on the PR from the Government lol....

The rest of the world moved on from # of cases being the measure of a problem a long time ago - as it is clearly longer at all a reliable indicator of a problem in a society that is 80% vaccinated -- hopefully Japan will do the same soon as one of the worlds leading vaccinated countries.

You do know that only a fraction of hospitals in Japan are able to "accept" COVID patients due to the crazy rules the government imposed -- so that when you see hospital statistics -- they are in NO way comparable to the rest of the world... Japan manufactured it's own problem -- and until the economy gets sufficiently bad -- or the EU/US revokes reciprocal visas - I honestly don't see them ever changing....

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Aug 26, 2022 at 9:06 pm
Old Aug 27, 2022, 2:26 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
And yet life goes on somehow -- magically in the US - and amazingly just like in the EU -- hospitals in the US / EU are not shutting down, there is no manufactured crisis -- no political mess -- and no one is dying in excess -- so honestly -- what is your point? After all your posts justifying the Japanese response as logical and justified -- what has it produced in Japan? You can no longer blame foreigners for your record infections -- or the justification for keeping them out -- that's now ALL on the Japanese because no one else is let in -- so your own people brought this back -- but that's ok since they are "Japanese" ???

You can ignore real world data forever saying that Japan is somehow different -- but reality it isn't so kind when you look at real data.... Politics is driving this -- pandering to an aging population that doesn't care one bit about being in a global society -- and that is fine -- but you keep lashing out at the US or the EU as if they are the devil to justify the new hermit kingdom - but honestly data isn't your friend after triple vax at 80% in any country in the world -- Japan did this to themselves -- structurally and societally -- please stop these posts making it seem like Japan got it right for themselves -- when there is zero real data to support this thesis....

As someone that lives in both worlds -- and has for well over a decade -- I'll choose what's real over politics.... My wife can come and go freely to the US -- for me not so much to Japan.... Even to my home in Tokyo which we own -- ONLY because I'm not "Japanese"....

So the real question to you -- is it behavior that matters -- or blood? At some point you have to accept that the Japanese response -- while arguably at the very beginning may have "worked" -- but trying to justify it now just looks foolish...

Japan has created it's own mess -- whether or not they care is for a different thread I guess -- but lashing out at the US or EU to justify a Japanese response that is increasingly difficult to defend with real data -- well...
THANK. YOU.

edit…

Interesting how it’s always the travelers fault, but as I’ve been in Waikiki all week I would say roughly 25-30% of the tourists currently are Japanese. I had to ask my wife what she thought and she agreed. I was asking her primarily because I was thinking of those on this thread who say it’s the Americans fault and so on. Because NONE of the Japanese tourists co-mingling without masking, or even with, won’t bring the covid back with them.

And this place is bursting at the seams. If it wasn’t for my 9yo love of this beach I would not be here.
bmwe92fan likes this.

Last edited by Weyland Yutani Corp; Aug 28, 2022 at 1:40 am Reason: More
Old Aug 27, 2022, 4:22 pm

Gave up and booked flights to South Korea and North Vietnam.
Will be a great trip but I'm a bit gutted to miss Japan again this year.
My flight to Seoul actually has a stopover for 4 hours in NRT so I'll be in Japan temporarily, broken hearted at not being able to leave the airport.
Hopefully I'll sneak in a nice airport meal at least.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Denis Carlin
My flight to Seoul actually has a stopover for 4 hours in NRT so I'll be in Japan temporarily, broken hearted at not being able to leave the airport.
At least it's NRT. HND is worse, you can see the SkyTree from the lounge (at least the JAL lounge). A nice little extra poke in the eye while you wait for your next flight. Though HND does have better food options.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:10 pm

Anyone know what the deal is with this site (UK)? They seem to offer visas and let me go through the purchase process for a tourist visa for Japan. Surely this can't be legit?

https://cibtvisas.co.uk/
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:35 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Xenochria
Anyone know what the deal is with this site (UK)? They seem to offer visas and let me go through the purchase process for a tourist visa for Japan. Surely this can't be legit?

This is a well-known Visa acquisition company. If you call them, they will tell you they can’t help.
evergrn likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by THECLIPPERS
On another note, I kind of wish testing was still required to enter the U.S. Our whole family has COVID now and we returned on JAL 16 on Monday. Did we catch it on the plane or at LAX upon return? We had 3 seats in row 2 with some kids running around right behind us in the first row of business class or was it the guy in 1A that was video calling half the flight even though that's against the terms of the wifi usage. The guessing game is killing me!
That sounds terrible. Hope you feel better soon.
THECLIPPERS likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 5:22 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
My entire family also came down with COVID a couple of days after returning from Tokyo. That was about a month ago. We were also in JL F but had masks on whenever we weren't eating or drinking. Granted, it was JL F, so we spent most of our time eating and drinking.
THECLIPPERS and evergrn like this.
Old Aug 28, 2022, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Xenochria

The devil is in the details, here is a required document example.

You just need to get the authorisation yourself, then they can help you with (charge you for) the processing at the embassy.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Denis Carlin
A layover alone would be worth it if NRT or HND had a decent lineup of airside restos and shops like HKG and even TPE.

I think Jpn is the only country I’ve been to where most airports concentrate all dining/retail landside, which is esp too bad under these pandemic circumstances.
ainternational likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
A layover alone would be worth it if NRT or HND had a decent lineup of airside restos and shops like HKG and even TPE.

I think Jpn is the only country I’ve been to where most airports concentrate all dining/retail landside, which is esp too bad under these pandemic circumstances.
I just looked on the Airport Website and it looks like Ippudo Ramen is the only Japanese restaurant open after security in terminal 1, that will have to do
Old Aug 29, 2022, 2:06 am

Programs: Avios
Be very wary of transiting thru Japan. This is not the first occurrence.

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2...m=BoardingArea
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Tilto007

Yes, I just read that.
I better pack some snacks and water
Old Aug 29, 2022, 2:48 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
I've got most of a day in HND (2pm arrival, midnight departure) coming up in October but at least I'll have access to the NH lounge. And there's always the outside chance that the "unguided tour" becomes a thing by then. I wouldn't be happy to have to pay a tour operator just to leave the airport, but if it was an option I'd seriously consider it.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tilto007

That is the joy of flying low cost carriers.... While JAL and ANA does actually have this happening as well, they can conjure up blankets and water. But it is never going to make for a comfortable night though, NRT just does not have the facilities for overnighting guests.

While all transits in Japan carry a risk, since passengers will not be allowed to leave the airport. I think this story mainly warns me off flying Sh*tstar.... Not that I need additional warning though. I had to go SYD SGN once, the corporate TA was very surprised I did not want the direct Qantas flight. Once I pointed out it was just "Qantas" and Jetstar in actual life, no more questions. But unwary people could get booked believing they connect to a QF flight.
​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.