Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2022, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by pesos
seems that is exactly the point - to give the tour companies an assist
And because.....
pesos and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 6:26 am

I'll be honest my interest is a bit piqued. If this "tour without guide" means I can book a customized itinerary and essentially pay a company to get an ERFS and visa...then....¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . Given I've booked everything for my May trip on points, there's budget available for that. It would be my first time to Japan and only 2 weeks so each day would really have something on the docket anyways.

It seems like it could be "pay to play". Luckily I'm in the position where I could do that and may prefer to rather than attempt to rebook a fourth time and find business award space etc.
Kishiwada likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by sameruval
I'll be honest my interest is a bit piqued. If this "tour without guide" means I can book a customized itinerary and essentially pay a company to get an ERFS and visa...then....¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . Given I've booked everything for my May trip on points, there's budget available for that. It would be my first time to Japan and only 2 weeks so each day would really have something on the docket anyways.

It seems like it could be "pay to play". Luckily I'm in the position where I could do that and may prefer to rather than attempt to rebook a fourth time and find business award space etc.
i don't think you will be alone
Kishiwada likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 6:28 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by sameruval

I am in the same situation with a fully booked itinerary.
Kishiwada likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by pesos
i don't think you will be alone
Yep. To be honest it seems like this was already happening even with the current system as it is, based on what I’ve seen read in other forums. Now maybe it would be a bit more legitimized.
pesos likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by alan11
Wow, I must be really dumb. Please explain what am I missing?

Currently to enter Japan one needs a pre-test. And one does not need to show any proof of vaccination. The vaccine requirement in every form was removed in June.

The proposed plan removes the pre-test as long as one is triple vaxed... which means they will RE-INSTATE the vaccine requirement in order to bypass the pre-test.

One is just being replaced with the other.

So please teach me how is the statement "I don't think it will be a re-instatement of the vaccine requirement to enter the country" is in any way valid??
Before:
Triple vaxxed people entering the country require a pre-test.
Non-triple vaxxed people entering the country require a pre-test.

After:
Triple vaxxed people entered the country do not require a pre-test
Non-triple vaxxed people entering the country require a pre-test

There is no RE-INSTATEMENT occurring. The requirements for a non-triple vaxxed person entering the country will remain exactly the same as it is now. Triple vaxxed people will have an easier path to get in.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: ANA Diamond, JAL JGC, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
The previous person was probably confused because currently vaxxed and non-vaxxed people are treated the same. Going forward vaxxed people are given an easier path, so they see that as a “reinstatement of privilege of vaxxed over non-vaxxed”
Old Aug 23, 2022, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Only ANA
The previous person was probably confused because currently vaxxed and non-vaxxed people are treated the same. Going forward vaxxed people are given an easier path, so they see that as a “reinstatement of privilege of vaxxed over non-vaxxed”
Depends on where they are coming from though. I just came back from Vietnam, and vaxxed and unvaxxed have very different entry procedures.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by musehead
However, if there's no tour conductor and no surveillance, then tourists can and will do what they want. I foresee people booking the cheapest "self-guided tour" possible in order to get the entry visa, and then just doing their own thing.
There has to be something to this, I'm certain the administration came up with some creative ideas. Like requiring you to only move between places in prebooked transportation, having a tracking app running all the time or something... What would you even buy when booking an unguided tour? Mandatory lecture on the first day about proper behavior in Japan?
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:12 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by freakazoid
There has to be something to this, I'm certain the administration came up with some creative ideas. Like requiring you to only move between places in prebooked transportation, having a tracking app running all the time or something... What would you even buy when booking an unguided tour? Mandatory lecture on the first day about proper behavior in Japan?
I'll take a day of lectures if they'll leave me alone after that.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:13 am

If it's just paying a company and giving them an itinerary list then fine.
If I have to book expensive and limited accommodation through them then, no thanks.
ShopAround and MSYtoJFKagain like this.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by freakazoid
Perhaps it means paying a tour agency to provide an itinerary for your trip and using said pre-booked transportation and/or tracking apps to ensure you follow it even though there's no physical guide there? On the other hand "unguided tour" could also just be a rough translation and they could mean a full reopening for individual tourism.

Sounds like they're planning an announcement tomorrow though so we'll know more soon enough.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 7:47 am

Yeah I need more details. I'm happy to provide an itinerary, be tracked, mask up, etc. I just need to know if that's all.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 8:04 am

I wouldn't be surprised if it's exactly as now but without a chaperone.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Denis Carlin
I wouldn't be surprised if it's exactly as now but without a chaperone.
So your itinerary is decided by the company? That's going to be the killer if that's what it is.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.