Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
She was in her 90s, with prior health conditions and unknown vaccination status. One could argue she was going to die regardless of whether or not they found a hospital to take her in.
Here's a new one from yesterday of a 21-year old who got in a motorcycle accident in the middle of the night, but was refused entry to the hospital since the ambulance gave him an antigen test (positive result) and the hospital said no because he had Covid.

...so they just took him back to the scene of the accident, dropped him off, and said goodnight!

The next morning his dad had to call the ambulance again since the guy was in so much pain, and they found a different hospital that would actually accept him, where he turned out to have a fractured leg.

Injured motorcyclist returned to accident scene after hospital refuses to take him due to positive COVID test
https://japantoday.com/category/nati...ive-covid-test
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by alan11
Here's a new one from yesterday of a 21-year old who got in a motorcycle accident in the middle of the night, but was refused entry to the hospital since the ambulance gave him an antigen test (positive result) and the hospital said no because he had Covid.

...so they just took him back to the scene of the accident, dropped him off, and said goodnight!

The next morning his dad had to call the ambulance again since the guy was in so much pain, and they found a different hospital that would actually accept him, where he turned out to have a fractured leg.

Injured motorcyclist returned to accident scene after hospital refuses to take him due to positive COVID test
"the student’s condition appeared stable, so they took him back to the accident scene with his consent."

What exactly screams foul about this to you? Maybe they should have given him a bed instead so the next 90 year old woman who needs one can die at home while his neck pain improves.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by invalyd
"the student’s condition appeared stable, so they took him back to the accident scene with his consent."

What exactly screams foul about this to you?
Perhaps they would have realized his condition wasn't stable if they had been able to run some simple tests? You know, the kind of thing that a hospital normally does in such cases...

It certainly would reduce some strain if everyone could diagnose themselves...

Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Perhaps they would have realized his condition wasn't stable if they had been able to run some simple tests? You know, the kind of thing that a hospital normally does in such cases...

It certainly would reduce some strain if everyone could diagnose themselves...
You don't believe the patient's stability could have been determined by the paramedics who picked him up in the ambulance? If that's the case then the Japanese health care system is even more dysfunctional than this thread would have you think.

Of course none of this comes as a surprise since by all accounts Japan is the only modern country dealing with lack of hospital beds two and a half years into the pandemic.
TravisMT81 and Topcare like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by alan11

And most likely the only reason the hospital refused to take him is because they are not a designated infectious disease hospital, and thus for burecratic reasons not allowed to take him..... The nonsense of the level two classification.

(this one was posted a bit upthread, unless it happened twice in short order)
THECLIPPERS, invalyd and Topcare like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:54 am

As we’ve booked 3 weeks off at the end Of October/start of November , we need to make a “decision” soon . Plan A of travelling round Japan is looking dead as if by some miracle, restrictions are eased before then, it’ll require a huge amount of complicated paperwork and bureaucracy so relatively short notice trips will not be possible and as booking hotels, rail passes, hire cars etc. all takes time, I think I’ll give it another week then give up and book flights to South Korea instead. Travel this year for us seems extremely unlikely and more so by the day.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Denis Carlin
As we’ve booked 3 weeks off at the end Of October/start of November , we need to make a “decision” soon . Plan A of travelling round Japan is looking dead as if by some miracle, restrictions are eased before then, it’ll require a huge amount of complicated paperwork and bureaucracy so relatively short notice trips will not be possible and as booking hotels, rail passes, hire cars etc. all takes time, I think I’ll give it another week then give up and book flights to South Korea instead. Travel this year for us seems extremely unlikely and more so by the day.
I think your read is correct. Even if things magically did open up over here for this kind of trip, you’d likely be fighting insane crowds and demand for the resources you’re looking to book.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by pesos
I think your read is correct. Even if things magically did open up over here for this kind of trip, you’d likely be fighting insane crowds and demand for the resources you’re looking to book.
TBH I'm not that concerned about insane crowds as numbers will no matter what, be a fraction of pre-covid numbers due to the lack of Chinese and Taiwanese tourist and as a big chunk of our planned trip is in Tohoku and Shikoku, tourist numbers should be fine. Having seen the list of paperwork required for family of residents to visit, I can imagine any opening up will require a VISA, application, providing detailed itineraries, bank statements and god knows what else, taking who knows how long to be accepted as they could easily not be prepared to handle that surge. Also, I'd have to to either a)book flights with the risk of having to cancel or b) booking flights last-minute and pay through the nose.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 1:52 am

TBH I'm not that concerned about insane crowds as numbers will no matter what, be a fraction of pre-covid numbers due to the lack of Chinese and Taiwanese tourist and as a big chunk of our planned trip is in Tohoku and Shikoku, tourist numbers should be fine. Having seen the list of paperwork required for family of residents to visit, I can imagine any opening up will require a VISA, application, providing detailed itineraries, bank statements and god knows what else, taking who knows how long to be accepted as they could easily not be prepared to handle that surge. Also, I'd have to to either a)book flights with the risk of having to cancel or b) booking flights last-minute and pay through the nose.
for sure - sorry I wasn’t very clear. Didn’t mean crowds compared to precovid but more in the sense of staffing at various choke points (airports, processing, rentals, etc) not being sufficient relative to the rush. Though I could be wrong and Japan could adjust more quickly in these areas than I experienced in the states and Europe last month.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by pesos
for sure - sorry I wasn’t very clear. Didn’t mean crowds compared to precovid but more in the sense of staffing at various choke points (airports, processing, rentals, etc) not being sufficient relative to the rush. Though I could be wrong and Japan could adjust more quickly in these areas than I experienced in the states and Europe last month.
Yes, could be the case although in Europe at least, the problem *mostly* seems to be due to the travel, tourism and hospitality industries laying off huge numbers of people then being caught short as unsurprisingly people who have since found other positions are in no rush to run back to jobs that often have anti-social hours, are not highly paid and clearly have no security whatsoever. " I can't wait to run back to an employer who'll drop me the minute there's another pandemic" says no-one.
You don't appreciate people and treat them as disposable numbers, then look what happens.
Sorry for the rant!
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 2:00 am

Yes, could be the case although in Europe at least, the problem *mostly* seems to be due to the travel, tourism and hospitality industries laying off huge numbers of people then being caught short as unsurprisingly people who have since found other positions are in no rush to run back to jobs that often have anti-social hours, are not highly paid and clearly have no security whatsoever. " I can't wait to run back to an employer who'll drop me the minute there's another pandemic" says no-one.
You don't appreciate people and treat them as disposable numbers, then look what happens.
Sorry for the rant!
exactly. just like the decimated rental car fleets. takes time to build back up both inventory and people.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 4:48 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Saw a link to this Twitter account on another site.

Seems to suggest a rumour on TV of mid Sept / October re-opening if cases continue to fall.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by McG
Saw a link to this Twitter account on another site.

https://twitter.com/nyukoku_news/sta...ik8FXyWidqEevQ

Seems to suggest a rumour on TV of mid Sept / October re-opening if cases continue to fall.
Was this down to my threat?

Last edited by armagebedar; Aug 18, 2022 at 6:40 pm Reason: Violation of FT rule 16
Old Aug 16, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: QAPC Gold, BAEC
Was there anything behind this rumour or was it just idle speculation of what the travel analyst wants to happen?

Also pardon me for being pessimistic (although it's hard to be anything else these days when it comes to Japan's attitude to COVID), but 外国人観光客の受け入れの更なる緩和 could mean literally anything.Think I'll keep my expectations firmly in check until an official announcement is made.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:20 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by sfgiants13
Really doubt delta would resume flights without a good idea that the country will be open by then.
DL has been flying to HND since the pandemic started. My original flights were JFK-DTW-HND in September 2020 and I have rebooked four times to preserve my mileage upgrade to D1. There have been multiple changes as they kept reducing their schedule but the many flights I cancelled almost always ended up operating, although of course I couldn't travel because the country is still not open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.