Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 28, 22, 4:21 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
Wiki Link
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​

It is advisable to upload the documents in advance via the fasttrack flow. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/fasttrack/en/

You are required to fill an online arrival form and have a QR code ready when arriving: https://arqs-qa.followup.mhlw.go.jp/#/

From 1st of June the arrival process will be changed. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 22, 22, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL GM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe View Post
The way I see it is that I'm basically subsidizing those who are in the most need of medical care, which includes those who abuse their health from excessive eating, drinking, smoking, etc. It's a net loss for those who remain healthy throughout their life and don't abuse the system for minor ailments like the common cold.
For 90% of the people in the system it's a net loss. That's why they call it insurance.

1. The thing that runs up societal medical costs is accidents and serious illness.
2. Bad lifestyle choices run up medical costs in North America and Europe. Not as much in Japan.
3. Visits to the doctor for trivial ailments is a rounding error.
Old Jul 22, 22, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
Have you considered that perhaps your behavior is abnormal in your native country as well?

Featured Articled: Are Danes Too Pampered?
There is an increasing trend, but the majority of those 8 contacts are via phone or email. Meaning a triage of the need to actually see the doctor can be managed without taking much of the doctor's time or the medical system's funds.

The family GP concept does also mean that a lot of contacts gets focused there, and once people get older, or have a longer phase of medical issues, the majority of the contact points will be the GP. It also includes that every time a prescription needs to be renewed, you would contact the GP via email/online portal.

Where my impression, though not practical experience, is that you have far more diverse contact points in Japan depending on medical issue.
Old Jul 22, 22, 11:09 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Gold, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC
Originally Posted by 5khours View Post
For 90% of the people in the system it's a net loss. That's why they call it insurance.
True, but as I stated in my post, I think some kind of "health credit" for those who remain healthy and disproportionally pay into the system would help offset this, even if to a small degree.
1. The thing that runs up societal medical costs is accidents and serious illness.
"Bad lifestyle choices" do lead to serious illnesses, but as a category, its percentage of "serious illness" is probably unknown.
2. Bad lifestyle choices run up medical costs in North America and Europe. Not as much in Japan.
Believable, but still "lifestyle diseases" exist in Japan, and increasingly so.
3. Visits to the doctor for trivial ailments is a rounding error.
Perhaps so, in terms of money spent, but I would guess it's significantly higher than in the US or Europe.
Old Jul 22, 22, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe View Post
True, but as I stated in my post, I think some kind of "health credit" for those who remain healthy and disproportionally pay into the system would help offset this, even if to a small degree..
Or maybe something where the unhealthy pay more. Maybe call it a more-pay or a co-pay or something. I'm surprised no one has ever thought of that.
Old Jul 23, 22, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or maybe something where the unhealthy pay more. Maybe call it a more-pay or a co-pay or something. I'm surprised no one has ever thought of that.
This is already a co-pay system.
Old Jul 23, 22, 12:22 am

Many people don't realize that Japan actually has a substantial diabetes problem. At 6.6%, its exactly as prevalent as in the EU (though not as bad as the US at 10.7%, but better than the UK's 6.3%)

Then again, I don't think I've ever seen a Japanese person drink or smoke....

Japan diabetes: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator...S?locations=JP
EU: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.STA.DIAB.ZS?locations=EU
UK https://data.worldbank.org/indicator...S?locations=GB
US: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator...S?locations=US
Old Jul 23, 22, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy View Post
This is already a co-pay system.
Really??? So much for subtle humor.
Old Jul 23, 22, 10:39 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by alan11 View Post
Many people don't realize that Japan actually has a substantial diabetes problem. At 6.6%, its exactly as prevalent as in the EU (though not as bad as the US at 10.7%, but better than the UK's 6.3%)

Then again, I don't think I've ever seen a Japanese person drink or smoke....
It's all the rice. The sugar that comes from the conversion of rice in the body is a huge problem for diabetics. My partner's family are all diabetic or pre-diabetic, and all the medical staff they spoke to told them to cut white rice out of their diet. His father near had a heart attack at that suggestion, but complied, and it's helped.
Old Jul 23, 22, 5:31 pm

Programs: Kind of a 2012 question
Well that escalated quickly. So glad the border measures are so strict, although how much higher could it go. And guess plexiglass does not work after all. Who'd have thought.
Old Jul 23, 22, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Yes, Japan made a huge mistake by not fully opening their borders. They would have been so much better off with thousands of non Japanese speaking people further flooding the care system every day.
lobsterdog and Only ANA like this.
Old Jul 23, 22, 6:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k
Nobody saw this one coming. At least a few Japanese got to enjoy some vacation time in USA and Europe before they infect the rest of the country with BA.5
​​​
Topcare likes this.
Old Jul 23, 22, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I was just looking at transit requirements for Hong Kong (none left by now) but I noticed a fun requirement that they also just removed'

From 1 June, passengers ending their journey in Hong Kong are no longer required to present any COVID-19 laboratory accreditation (ISO15189) documentation

How could Japan have overlooked this "wonderful" extra requirement? Glad we were spared that one, that does quite sound like a drag for to make sure you can submit that. But maybe with the new peaks, it could be an idea for Kishida....
Old Jul 24, 22, 4:04 am

Programs: BAGold
Hi all, anyone currently trying to book an appointment for a Visa at the JP embassy in London? it doesn't allow me to select any date at all and I'm getting concerned they might actually not have any availability. Could it just be a system glitch?
Old Jul 24, 22, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eli88 View Post
Hi all, anyone currently trying to book an appointment for a Visa at the JP embassy in London? it doesn't allow me to select any date at all and I'm getting concerned they might actually not have any availability. Could it just be a system glitch?
It was posted in another thread, can't remember which one now. But they release times three weeks out at midnight, and it seems time slots are mostly taken within 5-10 minutes.
Old Jul 24, 22, 5:43 am

Programs: BAGold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
It was posted in another thread, can't remember which one now. But they release times three weeks out at midnight, and it seems time slots are mostly taken within 5-10 minutes.
Unbelievable, this is crazy! I Went in for my first visa in early may and there were plenty of available slots every day, so I didn't even think of checking in advance this time. thank you for letting me know, I clearly need to change my plans if there are no slots available for the next 3 weeks.

Search this Thread