Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:36 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by hijiji
Did you secretly go to Shimane and Tottori while you were down this way?
hmm - we may have passed through…. My wife's father was driving while I leaned out the window coughing -- masked of course....
LETTERBOY, hijiji and Topcare like this.

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Jul 10, 2022 at 8:08 am
Old Jul 10, 2022, 6:38 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Anyone know - once you’ve clicked “I will not upload” for a PCR test and it now says Review Completed (yellow), is there any way to go back and change your mind and upload?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Anyone know - once you’ve clicked “I will not upload” for a PCR test and it now says Review Completed (yellow), is there any way to go back and change your mind and upload?
Delete the app and start over?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Everything is stored serverside no?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 6:51 am

Everything is stored serverside no?
LOL - not from my experience -- every time I come to Japan I start over 100% -- they seem to have no memory.... I've loaded and started over MySOS 6 times now....
Old Jul 10, 2022, 6:52 am

LOL - not from my experience -- every time I come from Japan I start over 100% -- they seem to have no memory....
Lol are you serious?!?

The app is crappier than I thought I’ll give it a go. Nothing to lose at this point.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 6:56 am

Lol are you serious?!?

The app is crappier than I thought I’ll give it a go. Nothing to lose at this point.
Yes it's very Japanese lol -- the most recent results replace any previous ones....
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
You don't need to delete the app, just start the process from scratch.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:45 pm

Programs: JAL ANA
I assume things go quickly upon returning to Kix as well? Has anybody been through lately?
Old Jul 10, 2022, 9:52 pm

As for masks, I'd say 97-98% wear them outside in the Kansai area, more and more of them chin style. On a different note, it is totally unproblematic to go without a mask, gaijin or not. We put one on if somebody tells us so at shops or museums etc., and there has never been an unfriendly word or anything. The only real problem in Japan is that kids are told to wear masks at school and kindergarten by the teachers...
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by VAAGE; Jul 11, 2022 at 7:30 pm Reason: Inappropriate language, My apologies
Old Jul 10, 2022, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You don't need to delete the app, just start the process from scratch.
So update on this - I couldn’t quite figure out how to restart the process so I did delete the app and redo and it kept SOME info pre-filled (names and DOBs etc) but it did let me resubmit everything once again. It looks like kids don’t HAVE to be tested (even <2), but when I didn’t submit kids PCR, the app was yellow, so probably would’ve gotten stuck somewhere; but with all PCRs submitted (even infant) it’s a bright blue. Good to know. Sucks for people who have to pay good money for PCR; it’s $12 where I had it done so it’s immaterial but I’d be pretty pissed if it was elsewhere.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by VAAGE
On a different note, it is totally unproblematic to go without a mask, gaijin or not. We put one on if somebody tells us so at shops or museums etc., and there has never been an unfriendly word or anything.
No, because there is no law that compels anyone to wear a mask in Japan. All stores can do is politely request, usually done by a sign out front.

So of course, one can choose not to honor their request. But without a compelling reason for doing so, making some poor worker have to request mask compliance after the store's preferences have been clearly conveyed makes that person a jerk.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
No, because there is no law that compels anyone to wear a mask in Japan. All stores can do is politely request, usually done by a sign out front.

So of course, one can choose not to honor their request. But without a compelling reason for doing so, making some poor worker have to request mask compliance after the store's preferences have been clearly conveyed makes that person a jerk.
It takes a certain understanding of Japan to 空気を読む to be able to tell 白い目で見る…
Old Jul 11, 2022, 12:07 am

It takes a certain understanding of Japan to 空気を読む to be able to tell 白い目で見る…
That is of course a valid opinion, too! If you can't 空気を吸う freely, then at least you can 空気を読む, right?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by VAAGE
That is of course a valid opinion, too! If you can't 空気を吸う freely, then at least you can 空気を読む, right?
Well sort of … but reading the air in Japan is sometimes far more important than breathing it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.