Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
Nothing random about it. Japanese nationals enjoying their maskless vacations in Florida and Hawaii then flying right back home with it.
be careful. Some of the japanlife folks will use some less than witty retort about this. Many maskless folks in Canada too from Japan that seem to ignore those around them on transit still wearing masks. But they are special and the japanlife folks on FT have this dissolution they are not treated like gaijins. Haha.

(See. ;-))
LETTERBOY, invalyd and seigex like this.

Last edited by Topcare; Jul 7, 2022 at 6:01 pm
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Nothing random about it. Japanese nationals enjoying their maskless vacations in Florida and Hawaii then flying right back home with it.
So the clown show that is the US should just require masks, then people would follow and problem would be solved?
mjm and Q Shoe Guy like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:07 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by Topcare
I was just in Florida. Japan is a clown show.
DeathSantis and his minions are the clowns, my friend. I’d take a trip to Japan over Florida any day of the week.
Unimatrix One and ShopAround like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Weyland Yutani Corp
DeathSantis and his minions are the clowns, my friend. I’d take a trip to Japan over Florida any day of the week.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
So the clown show that is the US should just require masks, then people would follow and problem would be solved?
Don't be silly. Masks won't do it. We all know keeping foreigners out is the only way to stop the virus.

be careful. Some of the japanlife folks will use some less than witty retort about this. Many maskless folks in Canada too from Japan that seem to ignore those around them on transit still wearing masks. But they are special and the japanlife folks on FT have this dissolution they are not treated like gaijins. Haha.

(See. ;-))
Yes of course the weebs will continue defend Japan's absurd policies you can even see some of that on this very thread.
seigex and Topcare like this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Don't be silly. Masks won't do it. We all know keeping foreigners out is the only way to stop the virus.
I thought that goes without saying.....
invalyd likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Gov. Koike is calling on the government to come up with guidelines for declaring the pseudo emergency that take in account "the specific characteristics of the virus".

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202...708091000.html

I imagine that this is not high on the list of priorities at this particular moment.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
random, I'm sure the Japanese will come up with some ridiculous explanation about their uniqueness and why this is driven by loose border restrictions. That's what they have done for soon to be 3 years.
Wait, don’t you already know? Japanese are the chosen people! Better people. Just listen to Jim Gaffigan (stand up comic). And I quote “Japanese people are just better at being humans”. In all fairness, he says he was mainly talking about the bidet toilets. Hahaha
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Gov. Koike is calling on the government to come up with guidelines for declaring the pseudo emergency that take in account "the specific characteristics of the virus".

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202...708091000.html

I imagine that this is not high on the list of priorities at this particular moment.
She back from her medical sabbatical already?
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:20 pm
formerly wunderpit

Originally Posted by ainternational
Wait, don’t you already know? Japanese are the chosen people! Better people. Just listen to Jim Gaffigan (stand up comic). And I quote “Japanese people are just better at being humans”. In all fairness, he says he was mainly talking about the bidet toilets. Hahaha
I know that you are being sarcastic, but every time I exit customs/the terminal at LAX after being in Tokyo it's plain awful. I am quickly reminded how rude everyone is... and the USA rat race. The busy trains and streets in Shinjuku don't bother me, for whatever reason. People just aren't a-holes when I'm in Tokyo, 15 years and counting.
THECLIPPERS likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

I know that you are being sarcastic, but every time I exit customs/the terminal at LAX after being in Tokyo it's plain awful. I am quickly reminded how rude everyone is... and the USA rat race. The busy trains and streets in Shinjuku don't bother me, for whatever reason. People just aren't a-holes when I'm in Tokyo, 15 years and counting.
Totally agree with you. At least outwardly, most Japanese seem much less abrasive than your average American. I feel like the US and China are in a race to see whose citizens can have less etiquette and social respect. Lol. Granted we are speaking in stereotypes here and there are good and bad people everywhere in the world but yeah, for example when I land in SF, the road rage observed is almost comical. The pushing at the hospitals in Shanghai is borderline crazy. Japan doesn’t have those things so much. But look what happened yesterday. Nowhere is immune. Of course the problem is always -> people.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I feel like that's Asia in general (minus China). Everyone is so respectful. Although in Tokyo, people bum rush me like I'm invisible; whereas, Mr. TravelLawer always gets the "sumimasen" because he's a tall white male. Sigh.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
People just aren't a-holes when I'm in Tokyo, 15 years and counting.
Oh they very much are. Just not to your face
Old Jul 8, 2022, 5:58 pm
formerly wunderpit

Originally Posted by ainternational
I feel like the US and China are in a race to see whose citizens can have less etiquette and social respect.
I haven't been to China is several years, but when I did it was into Beijing and a long drive to Tianjin (musical instruments factory). Gross is being nice. I would take LA over that any day. Rude people? Oh yes. And yes, Chinese tourists in Japan and Taiwan are easily made. They are on a mission and no one can stop them. And it does piss me off when white people (I am white) are jerks in Tokyo (alway SOMEONE at the hotel, etc being disrespectful).

Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
I feel like that's Asia in general (minus China). Everyone is so respectful. Although in Tokyo, people bum rush me like I'm invisible; whereas, Mr. TravelLawer always gets the "sumimasen" because he's a tall white male. Sigh.
LOL, tall and white here as well. People go around me typically, even though I do my best to dart around people with agility. ha
ainternational likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:17 pm
formerly wunderpit

Oh they very much are. Just not to your face
Like I said...totally different. If someone wants to talk S behind my back, go ahead because I'm probably doing the same just...you know...not to your face.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.