Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
In London that has not been a problem. People seems to have come have come prepared for the flights I have taken this year. It was not just the check-in staff being over zealous and asking connecting passengers as well?
They didn't ask it until after they received the passport and itinerary, and such they didn't ask me as I'm transiting. At least two I remember specifically said they were going to Japan when asked. Maybe it's a Seattle thing, as I don't recall this when I took JL61 from LAX back in December. *shrug*
Old Jul 1, 2022, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by seigex
They didn't ask it until after they received the passport and itinerary, and such they didn't ask me as I'm transiting. At least two I remember specifically said they were going to Japan when asked. Maybe it's a Seattle thing, as I don't recall this when I took JL61 from LAX back in December. *shrug*
There is probably a fair number here and there who don't do their research, it is just a matter of whether we get to line up close to them or not....

Though technically, mysos is not really required until you land, so they had time. Though a bit of a drag by now to not have been preapproved these days. But the deadline is down to 6 hours, so they could technically manage to get an approved screen between check-in and arrival.
seigex likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:02 pm

There is probably a fair number here and there who don't do their research, it is just a matter of whether we get to line up close to them or not....

Though technically, mysos is not really required until you land, so they had time. Though a bit of a drag by now to not have been preapproved these days. But the deadline is down to 6 hours, so they could technically manage to get an approved screen between check-in and arrival.
I have to wonder how many people show up to check in but not knowing they can't enter as a tourist.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I have to wonder how many people show up to check in but not knowing they can't enter as a tourist.
I saw a reddit post earlier this week from a guy who flew in on Zipair, and got all the way to Narita with no visa for entry. Zipair "forced" him to buy another flight to depart right away as Narita doesn't allow overnight stays, and he was peeved. There was definitely some kind of miscommunication because staff should have noticed he was not in possession of a visa before he departed, but it wasn't until he got to Narita that it became a real problem.

That being said I'm willing to bet it happens to some tourists, but most just don't talk about it online.
seigex likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kishiwada
I saw a reddit post earlier this week from a guy who flew in on Zipair, and got all the way to Narita with no visa for entry. Zipair "forced" him to buy another flight to depart right away as Narita doesn't allow overnight stays, and he was peeved. There was definitely some kind of miscommunication because staff should have noticed he was not in possession of a visa before he departed, but it wasn't until he got to Narita that it became a real problem.

That being said I'm willing to bet it happens to some tourists, but most just don't talk about it online.
Interesting, I always assumed (not just in Japan) if a foreigner is denied entry the burden is on the airline to transport them home, which is why the check-in agents are usually so diligent about document verification.
seigex and Kishiwada like this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by invalyd
Interesting, I always assumed (not just in Japan) if a foreigner is denied entry the burden is on the airline to transport them home, which is why the check-in agents are usually so diligent about document verification.
I did assume so too. Considering the scrutiny that Qatar Airways in Copenhagen puts me through with Tokyo as final destination, they even take pictures or copies of necessary entry documents, so they can prove that you had them at check-in.

I am wondering if "we don't allow connections" ZipAir had the ulterior motive that by making the passenger fly on, they could pretend it was just a mistake that the passenger went to immigration and that they should not be fined for bringing a passenger without the proper documents?

(yes I know Zip allows connections on a few select routes)
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
I did assume so too. Considering the scrutiny that Qatar Airways in Copenhagen puts me through with Tokyo as final destination, they even take pictures or copies of necessary entry documents, so they can prove that you had them at check-in.

I am wondering if "we don't allow connections" ZipAir had the ulterior motive that by making the passenger fly on, they could pretend it was just a mistake that the passenger went to immigration and that they should not be fined for bringing a passenger without the proper documents?

(yes I know Zip allows connections on a few select routes)
Doubt there would be such a blatant violation of the law. More likely simply incompetence. Occam’s Razor and all…
Kishiwada likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Had a colleague with his family who had such a rude awakening. People are just generally clueless in this world. Everyone here on FT is conditioned to have a clue about travel. We aren’t the norm!
Old Jul 1, 2022, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by ainternational
Had a colleague with his family who had such a rude awakening. People are just generally clueless in this world. Everyone here on FT is conditioned to have a clue about travel. We aren’t the norm!
Yeah I've noticed that as well. A coworker of mine, who I had been helping plan a Singapore/Korea trip decided to book a return trip from Korea on JAL through Tokyo then on ZipAir to LAX, not realizing he couldn't enter Japan to get his bags and recheck. He told me about the flight a few days later, excited that he had gotten such a deal. Ended up losing $1700 for the ZipAir tickets and booked another flight back to the US direct from ICN.
Kishiwada likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Several people have mentioned to me that "Japan has re-opened to tourism" without knowing that it's mostly not true. They just read the headlines somewhere. I don't know if the current policy was intended as a baby-step toward gradual return to normal, or if it was done deliberately to generate good press without actually doing much. If it's the latter, whoever figured that out is brilliant.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
I don't know if the current policy was intended as a baby-step toward gradual return to normal, or if it was done deliberately to generate good press without actually doing much. If it's the latter, whoever figured that out is brilliant.
An attempt at appeasing the international community by pretending there's forward movement while keeping xenophobic voters happy? That's my guess.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Arrived at NRT today from USA -- had the blue screen of course but still had to run the 2k gauntlet at Narita lol -- for once I beat my luggage to the carousel -- glad to see things getting back to normal....
kentauta, invalyd and seigex like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Arrived at NRT today from USA -- had the blue screen of course but still had to run the 2k gauntlet at Narita lol -- for once I beat my luggage to the carousel -- glad to see things getting back to normal....
The T1 flow is less well laid out than T2 flow? T2 is just the normal walk route to arrivals..... Though admittedly T1 can offer some quite long walks even on the direct route....
Old Jul 2, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
I arrived 4 hours ago at HND and it only took about 20 minutes to get out and my luggage was already waiting for me. Now I’m just waiting for my hotel room to be ready.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by THECLIPPERS
I arrived 4 hours ago at HND and it only took about 20 minutes to get out and my luggage was already waiting for me. Now I’m just waiting for my hotel room to be ready.
They still make you walk to gate 140 for bar code check? I guess it is good exercise after a long haul....
ainternational and seigex like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.