Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Old May 30, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Topcare
I got to say, at this point China is pretty much at the total worst end of the spectrum on dealing with COVID but wholly crap, I'd not expect Japan to be where it is and to have some serious serious nationalist xenophobic rhetoric being displayed and it is not just ok the fringes. Damn. Wow, Japan....tell foreigners how you really feel.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/wary-fore...072551738.html
Old May 30, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Originally Posted by Kishiwada
The 72-hour test should be moved up to a 24-hour test, honestly. Sure, this person probably caught covid in JP, but testing 3 days out prior to departure and getting a negative doesn't mean that they weren't infected at the airport or on the plane either. (Not the point of this comment, I know, but just wanted to point that out.)
On a practical level, this is really hard.

We got tested on Wednesday @ 2 pm, waited until the next day to get the results, upload info into mySOS, and flew out on Friday. We were fortunate we were flying out on Friday. If you are flying out on Monday, then the options to find an open test center is super limited. I know that in the Vancouver area, the only place open on Sunday that did the PAPERWORK within 24-hours was limited to a couple of places that are a couple of hours away. While the 24-hour is better - not practical.
LETTERBOY, seigex, Topcare and 1 others like this.
Old May 30, 2022, 8:21 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
On a different note, what's up with the constant musical chairs of routes being switched from HND to NRT? Booked NH ORD-HND last fall and it got changed to a NRT flight. Booked UA HND-EWR this summer and it got changed to a NRT flight. For god's sake, it's not like HND is over capacity... use those priceless slots!
Old May 30, 2022, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joejones
On a different note, what's up with the constant musical chairs of routes being switched from HND to NRT? Booked NH ORD-HND last fall and it got changed to a NRT flight. Booked UA HND-EWR this summer and it got changed to a NRT flight. For god's sake, it's not like HND is over capacity... use those priceless slots!
Book DL........they only fly to HND.
YariGuy likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 9:30 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
The article was quite specific about what "bad manners" mean in this context: "There were worries that foreign tourists would include a lot of people with bad manners - people who don't wear masks or don't use hand sanitiser and that infections could spread again".

In this instance, the bad manner probably doesn't refer to the Chinese.
Scifience likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 11:59 pm

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Originally Posted by Weyland Yutani Corp
For recent trip I paid $250 (Orange County/LA) for a 1-2 hour test result and emailed/signed Japanese form. I was reimbursed by my employer so I didn't mind. My co-workers in the bay area spent $300.
I get tested every month at Kaiser for my trips to Japan and my doctor fills out the form. No extra charges at all.
Old May 31, 2022, 12:20 am

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Originally Posted by brabb12
Does CVS still take that long to get test results?we plan to go right at 72 hrs before our flight? Wonder if Kaiser would be much quicker.
Kaiser has been reliable for all my trips. Results usually back within 36-48 hours.
Old May 31, 2022, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by synergypi
Not always - just got a test certificate rejected via MySOS even though all required info is on it. You should really get MOFA form filled out.
Originally Posted by Weyland Yutani Corp
Agree. Not sure why anyone would chance it with all that goes into planning a trip.
oh okay, makes sense.
Seems there're different opinions on this. The Japanese embassy in USA (Washington DC) still states "In principle, you are strongly recommended to use the designated form, however, other forms of certificates are also acceptable only if it includes all required information."
Old May 31, 2022, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by THECLIPPERS
I get tested every month at Kaiser for my trips to Japan and my doctor fills out the form. No extra charges at all.
I'm surprised your doctor at a general medical clinic is able to do that for you within such a narrow window of time, unless your Kaiser facility has a dedicated Covid testing clinic and you are talking about a doctor from such Covid clinic filling it out for you.
The way it would have to work at most primary care clinics is that you get the test done, wait for the test results to come through, then you message your doctor either via phone call or patient portal with your request to have the form filled out. At most standard primary care clinics, the expectation is that a phone/portal issue receives a response within 1-2 business days and any type of paperwork requires up to 1 week turnaround.
Old May 31, 2022, 4:25 am

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
I'm surprised your doctor at a general medical clinic is able to do that for you within such a narrow window of time, unless your Kaiser facility has a dedicated Covid testing clinic and you are talking about a doctor from such Covid clinic filling it out for you.
FWIW, my doctor at One Medical (one of those subscription-based boutique primary care practices) has happily filled out these forms for me also, more or less on the spot following a rapid NAAT test (~30m processing time).
THECLIPPERS likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 5:32 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Deleted
Old May 31, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Forgive the screenshot, but twitter links get filtered, and the article is behind a paywall

Old May 31, 2022, 10:37 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by nycnyc
What are the chances of Japan fully opening up by October? I have tickets then and don’t really want to be in a tour group.
I'm booked for October as well, departing the 15th if that's possible. I've rebooked flights and hotels three times now, including dates I knew were highly unlikely so I could preserve my mileage upgrade to DeltaOne.

When I first planned the trip, it was in September 2020 to celebrate a milestone birthday and I was very excited. But honestly, the more I read the news and this thread - which I've been keeping up with since the start - the less interest I have. I think I've decided that if it's still not possible to travel there independently by mid-October, I'm going to cancel everything (instead of rebooking again) and go elsewhere. Maybe I'll get to Japan eventually, maybe I won't, but the destination is no longer as prioritized on my list of places I want to go as it once was.

I'm sure if Japan is finally open for independent American tourists in October, I'll get that excitement back. But now, I just feel so... tired of it all.
Old May 31, 2022, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by seigex
Forgive the screenshot, but twitter links get filtered, and the article is behind a paywall

Are there really any countries left where people can't go home? There might be a case for would prefer not to go home, but can't?
Old May 31, 2022, 10:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by seigex

Interesting - but this isn’t the visa extensions for example for permanent residents or long term residents who lapsed their 1-year reentry permit right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.