Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2022, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by hailstorm
The post-Golden Week celebration of COVID began a little earlier than expected today. Osaka recorded almost quadruple the case numbers of the previous Saturday, and Okinawa destroyed their previous single day record.

Time will tell if this is merely cities catching up with reporting their numbers, or the start of a new explosion of cases. If the latter, it may put a damper on the grand plans for a grand re-opening of the nation.
If you look at Osaka, there are some days that report very low numbers, they are not consistently 7 days apart. The 30th was one such unusually low day, today was not. You'll find another such jump when you compare the 2nd to the 9th. Your usually preferred 7 day moving average is probably a more fair way to look at it here.

Okinawa is more interesting, and will be one to watch.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; May 7, 2022 at 4:58 am
Old May 7, 2022, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Also the other 地方 outside the major cities where everyone goes on vacation or 里帰り.
Old May 7, 2022, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
If you look at Osaka, there are some days that report very low numbers, they are not consistently 7 days apart. The 30th was one such unusually low day, today was not. You'll find another such jump when you compare the 2nd to the 9th. Your usually preferred 7 day moving average is probably a more fair way to look at it here.

Japan's daily numbers are based on how many tests are given (which is ver very low compared to other developed countries), and testing is almost entirely done at clinics and hospitals, many of which are closed on weekends and holidays.

So daily case numbers drop off in typical weeks on Sunday and Monday (it takes 1-2 days to report) then jump up on Tuesday or Wednesday.

But this past week since April 29th was the Golden Week holiday period, so both testing was low as well as reporting collection (the government offices which collect the testing data were mainly closed too.)

As for the spike, there may have been a back-log with reporting data (Friday the 6th wasn't a holiday), or it may be the fact that lots and lots of people were tavelling for Golden Week. The numbers next week (after this weekend) should be a better indicator of the infection spread.
Old May 7, 2022, 7:41 pm

Are we still talking about numbers. Oh dear. Heaven help us all. Even taiwan seems to have moved on. Ffs
Old May 8, 2022, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Anyone have any accounts of how long arrival procedures are taking right now as everyone comes back from GW?
Old May 8, 2022, 10:35 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by ainternational
Anyone have any accounts of how long arrival procedures are taking right now as everyone comes back from GW?
I posted upthread about a week ago. My trip begins this week. Loads are pretty heavy. Hoping to avoid that 4-hour from landing until through :/
Old May 8, 2022, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by Topcare
Are we still talking about numbers. Oh dear. Heaven help us all. Even taiwan seems to have moved on. Ffs
If where you are the numbers are no longer relevant, then I truly envy you.

But here in Japan, where more people died from Omicron than from any other variant despite widespread vaccination and boosters, yeah, the numbers are still a thing.

Like Taiwan, Japan did great at keeping the cases low (only 6.5% of Japan has (officially) contracted any variant of Covid) but that is a now double-edged sword. Because as Japan looks to move on and open up, there is still a massive swath of the country, mostly elderly, which has no natural immunity. I think the gov fears the inevitable wave that will someday sweep through and the hospitals getting swamped.
Old May 8, 2022, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ainternational
Originally Posted by Weyland Yutani Corp
I posted upthread about a week ago. My trip begins this week. Loads are pretty heavy. Hoping to avoid that 4-hour from landing until through :/
Question : If the GoJ hasn't increased the amount of available entries per day , how will it be any different ?
Would it be fair to say that both 5th and 8th was the peak for the return rush ?
Would it be fair to say that any congestion would be due to those nationals/residents returning from Hawaii ?
Old May 8, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by alan11
If where you are the numbers are no longer relevant, then I truly envy you.

But here in Japan, where more people died from Omicron than from any other variant despite widespread vaccination and boosters, yeah, the numbers are still a thing.

Like Taiwan, Japan did great at keeping the cases low (only 6.5% of Japan has (officially) contracted any variant of Covid) but that is a now double-edged sword. Because as Japan looks to move on and open up, there is still a massive swath of the country, mostly elderly, which has no natural immunity. I think the gov fears the inevitable wave that will someday sweep through and the hospitals getting swamped.
That is a good point, I had no idea the Covid contraction rate was that low. It will take a lot longer to play itself out in a country with such a low contraction rate . That said there is no free lunch. you will either deal with this now or later.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Tilto007
That said there is no free lunch. you will either deal with this now or later.
That's not a given either. There's no reason why any country has to "let it go" with regards to COVID prevention measures. Just look at China.

I think the data that Japan would gain from the proposed trial tourism via tour groups would go a long way in determining the schedule for further reopening, particularly with how well those guinea pigs comply with mask requests. I hope a lot of Americans and Europeans will take part in this, so we get lots of confrontation and pushback to further poison the well of public opinion.
SugoiHikouki likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 5:14 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
I hope a lot of Americans and Europeans will take part in this, so we get lots of confrontation and pushback to further poison the well of public opinion.
Somehow he's allowed to post junk like this, yet I get alerted for a little pushback that points these out. Sure.
Old May 8, 2022, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Weyland Yutani Corp
Somehow he's allowed to post junk like this, yet I get alerted for a little pushback that points these out. Sure.
As the locals like to say; "No-mind, no-mind ".
Old May 8, 2022, 6:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
That's not a given either. There's no reason why any country has to "let it go" with regards to COVID prevention measures. Just look at China.
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic here. Yes, look at China and their lockdowns with no end in sight. Currently circulating in Chinese social media (as reported by news outlets), there is a police officer enforcing the lockdown saying, "Stop asking me why, there is no why. We have to adhere to national guidelines." I feel like that pretty much sums it up.
Old May 8, 2022, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
As the locals like to say; "No-mind, no-mind ".
I have lived in Japan 20 years. I have never heard a local say "No-mind, no-mind ".
Old May 8, 2022, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by alan11
I have lived in Japan 20 years. I have never heard a local say "No-mind, no-mind ".
I believe don main is what he was going for.

Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
I can't tell if you are being sarcastic here.
No sarcasm. If a country decides to continue with zero COVID come hell or high water, they can continue to do so.
SugoiHikouki likes this.

Last edited by hailstorm; May 8, 2022 at 6:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.