Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: NH Dia (MM), QF-Plt, S-La GC Dia, Marriot Plt
Hi all. Thought i'd share another example of timings at Haneda arrivals.
This was for my daughter who arrived this past weekend - no elite status, in economy, one of the last to get off the plane etc.
She didn't bother with any of the fast track formalities.
I believe it was the 2nd flight in for the morning. Her number was in the 300's.
It took almost 3 hours from landing to getting out.
It wasn't helped by her making some rookie mistakes on paperwork etc which probably cost her 30 mins.
She was supposed to be doing the 3 day home quarantine but just got called to be told that people sitting next to her on the flight tested positive so her quarantine has been extended to 7 days.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Akihabara
Hi all. Thought i'd share another example of timings at Haneda arrivals.
This was for my daughter who arrived this past weekend - no elite status, in economy, one of the last to get off the plane etc.
She didn't bother with any of the fast track formalities.
I believe it was the 2nd flight in for the morning. Her number was in the 300's.
It took almost 3 hours from landing to getting out.
It wasn't helped by her making some rookie mistakes on paperwork etc which probably cost her 30 mins.
She was supposed to be doing the 3 day home quarantine but just got called to be told that people sitting next to her on the flight tested positive so her quarantine has been extended to 7 days.
Bummer -- this is exactly what the NY Consulate told me to plan for 7 Days -- it seems that there are more than usual testing positive coming back... What I don't know is how close on the plane you have to be to be considered "contaminated" but with my luck I'd be the one.... Over the past two years I have passed 37 consecutive COVID tests in my travel -- but was always worried about this situation the most given my frequent international destinations...
Old Mar 28, 2022, 2:18 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Bummer -- this is exactly what the NY Consulate told me to plan for 7 Days -- it seems that there are more than usual testing positive coming back... What I don't know is how close on the plane you have to be to be considered "contaminated" but with my luck I'd be the one.... Over the past two years I have passed 37 consecutive COVID tests in my travel -- but was always worried about this situation the most given my frequent international destinations...
Two rows but an aisle counts as one row also.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
How does this work on J/F, especially with a 1-2-1 config like on JAL and ANA?
Old Mar 28, 2022, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
These reports are all over the news -- here is a summary of the US one -- countries like the UK and Sweden are also beginning to see the same trend...

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022...d-in-2020.html
Then your original statement was a little bit off. There were (barely) more alcohol related deaths under 65 (in America) than COVID deaths in 2020, not last year. But this too is misleading; alcohol deaths only increased by about 20,000 over an average year, and the lockdowns instituted during the era of no vaccines could very well have saved over 20,000 such lives from COVID related death.

I would be quite surprised if those statistics held up in 2021, as US COVID deaths increased as "alcoholism inducing lockdowns" were almost completely gone.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 5:54 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond, JAL JGC, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by seigex
How does this work on J/F, especially with a 1-2-1 config like on JAL and ANA?
I guess if they use seat numbers the distances are roughly the same among all classes? Like 1A is next to 1D and there are two seats and an aisle apart in Y, but in first there are no seats but 1A is approximately the width of 40A, B, C so 40A and 40D are approximately the same width apart?

F is pretty empty nowadays anyway, so I am not that concerned about it.

J on the other hand was packed with people moving back and forth with their families for the new fiscal year.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Then your original statement was a little bit off. There were (barely) more alcohol related deaths under 65 (in America) than COVID deaths in 2020, not last year. But this too is misleading; alcohol deaths only increased by about 20,000 over an average year, and the lockdowns instituted during the era of no vaccines could very well have saved over 20,000 such lives from COVID related death.

I would be quite surprised if those statistics held up in 2021, as US COVID deaths increased as "alcoholism inducing lockdowns" were almost completely gone.
As I mentioned in an earlier post continuing to engage on this is likely OMNI and not really relevant - as I'm sure you read my posts as to why I brought this up -- but a few data points you should google -- this leap in deaths represented a new record never seen before -- and the current thinking is that 2021 is not going to be better - most expect it to be worse.... I won't comment again on this subject as it's not relevant to this thread or forum -- but didn't want you to think I was ignoring...
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:23 pm

Programs: NH Dia (MM), QF-Plt, S-La GC Dia, Marriot Plt
Originally Posted by mjm
Two rows but an aisle counts as one row also.
Indeed, that is the message she was given. I wonder if the same applies for Business class.. anyone know?

Edit - sorry, saw the same question now raised above.. ignore this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure it's hard for people that haven't been here since the pandemic to understand this, but here is where Japan is to this day:

Japanese curling team Loco Solare discussing their time at the Olympics with the mayor of Kitami City. Dive in about a minute to see the precautions taken. Do the giant partitions and face shields worn by everybody help? Who knows. But Japan continues to consider on its own how best to mitigate infection risk in even tiny ways such as this, and to continue letting everyone know that we all should continue doing our part however we can. Would the average foreign tourist even try to understand and accommodate this mindset?
Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:38 pm

I'm sure it's hard for people that haven't been here since the pandemic to understand this, but here is where Japan is to this day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=402j6_bh-2Q

Japanese curling team Loco Solare discussing their time at the Olympics with the mayor of Kitami City. Dive in about a minute to see the precautions taken. Do the giant partitions and face shields worn by everybody help? Who knows. But Japan continues to consider on its own how best to mitigate infection risk in even tiny ways such as this, and to continue letting everyone know that we all should continue doing our part however we can. Would the average foreign tourist even try to understand and accommodate this mindset?
To me you are asking the wrong question -- the question is - does it actually work? Study after study around the world shows that it may slow things somewhat -- but in the end it doesn't actually make genuine, measurable difference... Look at what China is dealing with -- they have their famous Zero Covid policy -- and now Shanghai and HK are in lockdown.... We can all pretend that these things make a difference - but after two years of attempting to prevent it -- it's time to move on to living with the inevitable and rejoin the world...

This is classic Japanese theatre -- show you are complying -- show you support -- doesn't matter if it works or not -- all that matters is compliance -- and putting it on TV makes it all the more powerful -- regardless of it it is based on science or data.... I've lived in Japan for 10 years -- my wife her whole life -- so she understands the societal pull to comply, to conform -- this is why Japan is the way it is -- it is what makes it great --and at the same time its achilles heel....

What works? The data to date shows only one answer -- reliable vaccines -- given to the right people -- and this is China's problem -- they used inferior products and now are getting worse -- while the rest of the world is getting better.... Japan was incredibly slow to approve the worlds best vaccines (predictably and understandably) -- and now they are racing to catch up - they will get there, late but not last lol... I'm sorry - I promised not to comment on this again - and I won't...
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Mar 28, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:54 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
But Japan continues to consider on its own how best to mitigate infection risk in even tiny ways such as this, and to continue letting everyone know that we all should continue doing our part however we can. Would the average foreign tourist even try to understand and accommodate this mindset?
Japan's public and private sector efforts at mitigation are all over the page, yet you make it sound like the efforts made by this team represent the standard approach to mitigation in Japan. C'mon man!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where did I say that? This is indiciative of what the government wants: for everyone to think about what they can do to prevent the spread. What people/private industry/local governments choose to do about it is their prerogative, but it is what is being asked of us to this day.

What works? The data to date shows only one answer -- reliable vaccines
Absolutely 100% false. Social distancing and mask wearing are only two of the many measures that also work.

Now remember your promise.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 8:20 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
But Japan continues to consider on its own how best to mitigate infection risk in even tiny ways such as this, and to continue letting everyone know that we all should continue doing our part however we can.
Oh, such as creating a vaccine mandate for Japanese citizens and residents to mitigate infection risk and getting employers to do the same. To be clear, I don't support vaccine mandates (nor does Japan), but the US and Europe have gone way beyond what Japan has on this front to ostensibly mitigate infection risk, so your sermonizing sounds hollow.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The measures you mention are unlawful in Japan, and possibly unconstitutional. That the government has strongly recommended the vaccines and provided avenues for employers to directly supply the vaccine to employees is proof of their will to mitigate infection risk within the framework that's possible (and vaccination rates are higher in Japan than in the US and most European nations)
Old Mar 28, 2022, 9:30 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=402j6_bh-2Q

The partitions might work a little bit, mostly to force distance, but those little mouth shields do absolutely nothing against aerosolised viruses given that they do not filter air in any way. But, they do allow deaf persons to see the speaker's mouth which helps them so I guess that's something at least. Of course, so does not wearing a face mask at all which against covid is effectively what is being done here.

I feel like this entire set-up is based on the by now outdated idea that the virus is transmitted primarily in droplets rather than as an aerosol.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.