Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group Red:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group Yellow:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group Blue:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote dlvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Old Feb 17, 2022, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
Why do you say no one can get tests ? certainly is easy in Tokyo !
you make me laugh. Tests easy in japan. That's very funny.
added, next you will say boosters are easy to get and well ahead of scheduled roll out.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by freakazoid
Does anybody know for how long the business visa (the one without paid work, which used to be visa free) allows to stay. Is it set to a specific amount of days you request? Can you extend it? Or simply 90 days like they used to issue it at the border?
No details have been published yet. We are still waiting for clarification.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 8:42 pm

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
No details have been published yet. We are still waiting for clarification.
That's not really something they're publishing on their webpage unfortunately. That sort of information wasn't posted for last November either.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by willliamjia
Ok, learn from Singapore.
Added to the list of countries subject to enhanced quarantine requirements yesterday (along with Iran, Oman, and the State of Bahia (Brazil)).
Old Feb 17, 2022, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Added to the list of countries subject to enhanced quarantine requirements yesterday (along with Iran, Oman, and the State of Bahia (Brazil)).
We are back to the Japanese list being updated without the English one being updated. Great!

​But I'll update the wiki based on the Japanese as well. It was working so well for a while that I got out of habit with looking at both.... :-/
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another important update in the Japanese list from the 17th of February valid from the 18th,

California, Ilinois, New York, and Florida is now down to 3 days of hotel quarantine. Bringing all of the US to that level.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are back to the Japanese list being updated without the English one being updated. Great!
I got that from the English one...
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage - Executive Platinum (2MM), Marriott Silver
Really curious how the new guidelines for getting short term business visas is going to look. Not exactly hopeful things will be smooth enough to be traveling soon but if things go south again then I'm going to have figure out what to do with my expiring AA travel voucher.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hailstorm
I got that from the English one...
When I click on that link, I get the English for the 10th of Feb, and for to Japanese on the 17th. Maybe time to clear the browser history....

This is what I get

Old Feb 17, 2022, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I click on that link, I get the English for the 10th of Feb, and for to Japanese on the 17th. Maybe time to clear the browser history....
Maybe so, or use a different browser or something.

Mine says "Border measures to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) February 17, 2022"
Akihabara likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 11:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, QRPC Gold
One thing that has perplexed me in all this is that Japan has invalidated visas issued before 2020. I assume what that means is that my five-year tourist / visitor visa issued in 2019 cannot be used in the future when Japan opens up to tourists (whenever that might be) and that I will need to apply for a new visa.

I am not aware of any other country imposing such a measure (Schengen, US, UK, etc) and I'm just curious as to why they would take such an extreme step. What security loophole did they expect to close by invalidating visas? With the existing rules no airline would allow me to board even with that visa valid and it seems needlessly extreme to do it. Maybe some of the members here more experienced with Japanese bureaucracy might be able to help shed some light on this?

I don't have any travels planned to Japan so this is just out of curiousity.

Ro
Old Feb 18, 2022, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RohanDXB
One thing that has perplexed me in all this is that Japan has invalidated visas issued before 2020. I assume what that means is that my five-year tourist / visitor visa issued in 2019 cannot be used in the future when Japan opens up to tourists (whenever that might be) and that I will need to apply for a new visa.

I am not aware of any other country imposing such a measure (Schengen, US, UK, etc) and I'm just curious as to why they would take such an extreme step. What security loophole did they expect to close by invalidating visas? With the existing rules no airline would allow me to board even with that visa valid and it seems needlessly extreme to do it. Maybe some of the members here more experienced with Japanese bureaucracy might be able to help shed some light on this?

I don't have any travels planned to Japan so this is just out of curiousity.

Ro
My guess would be to make sure they did not have some loopholes around their measures, rather than spend the time to go through all options, or accept that there were a few loopholes, they went all draconian on it. One fell swoop to close all doors.

I wonder when things are normal for tourist travel whether they won't just reactivate all visas with residual time left on them. Another practical measure for them.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My guess would be to make sure they did not have some loopholes around their measures, rather than spend the time to go through all options, or accept that there were a few loopholes, they went all draconian on it. One fell swoop to close all doors.

I wonder when things are normal for tourist travel whether they won't just reactivate all visas with residual time left on them. Another practical measure for them.
Well , if the Justice Ministry uses same computer systems as the Midori no Madoguchi then all it will be is turning a SUS page and sticking a peg in a different hole.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 6:54 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by freakazoid
Does anybody know for how long the business visa (the one without paid work, which used to be visa free) allows to stay. Is it set to a specific amount of days you request? Can you extend it? Or simply 90 days like they used to issue it at the border?
Called the embassy and asked about it today. The normal process is to grant it with either 15, 30 or 90 days, depending on the time you intend to stay through the 'schedule of stay' you need to submit. If it turns out that you need to stay longer, you might be able to get an extension from immigration. That info is under the limitation that they haven't gotten any official update on what the situation will be from March onwards, but I can't image they'll change that process.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Travel Alert – U.S. Embassy Tokyo (February18, 2022)
Date: February 18, 2022

UPDATED QUARANTINE PERIOD FOR JAPAN (FEBRUARY 18 TO MARCH 1, 2022)

The Government of Japan announced that, as of February 18, the quarantine period for all travelers arriving in Japan from the United States has been reduced to seven days, the first three of which must be in a government-designated facility. Currently, Japan’s quarantine duration does not take travelers’ vaccination status into account.

RELAXED BORDER RESTRICTIONS FOR STUDENTS AND BUSINESS TRAVELERS

The Government of Japan announced on February 17, 2022, that beginning March 1, foreign students, technical trainees, and business travelers will be allowed to enter Japan in limited numbers. Specific details have yet to be published. Those travelers who believe they qualify for travel to Japan based on the new announcement should continue to monitor the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' website and the Ministry of Health, Labour, and Welfare’s website, or contact the nearest Japanese embassy or consulate for additional information. Students and technical trainees should contact their educational institutions directly for guidance and direct visa related inquiries to the nearest Japanese embassy or consulate.

The U.S. Embassy is unable to intervene on travelers’ behalf in the event they are either denied boarding at the point of departure or entry into Japan.

NEW QUARANTINE POLICY FOR APPROVED TRAVELERS TO JAPAN

Starting March 1, authorized travelers to Japan from the United States will be eligible for a further-reduced, three-day quarantine period. The three-day quarantine must be completed at a Government of Japan-designated facility. Travelers must complete pre-travel testing, testing upon arrival, and again on day three. In this case, Japan’s quarantine duration does not take travelers’ vaccination status into account.

Travelers from countries where COVID-19 is not spreading rapidly and who are fully vaccinated and boosted may be able to avoid quarantine completely. At this timethe United States is not included in this category, but changes may occur at any time.

Currently recognized vaccines in Japan include Pfizer, Moderna, and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.

ASSISTANCE:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

U.S. Embassy Tokyo
Telephone: 03-3224-5000, After-Hours: 03-3224-5000
[email protected]
https://jp.usembassy.gov/services/

U.S. Consulate General Osaka-Kobe
Telephone: 06-6315-5900
[email protected]

U.S. Consulate Nagoya
Telephone: 052-581-4501
[email protected]

U.S. Consulate Fukuoka
Telephone: 092-751-9331
[email protected]

U.S. Consulate General Sapporo
Telephone: 011-641-1115
[email protected]

U.S. Consulate General Naha
Telephone: 098-876-4211
[email protected]
State Department – Consular Affairs
Telephone: +1 (888) 407-4747

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.