Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:55 pm
mjm
Original Member

And then there is this on a lighter note....

MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by evergrn
As of now, there are only 3 countries with level 1~3 covid-19 travel notices: China, HKG, Jpn.
The fact that Jpn is on the list of only 3 countries CDC cautions us about is not without meaning.
You can try to downplay it all you want, and some will agree with you. But based on all the info out there and the actions taken by some countries, I think it's justifiable for people to be concerned about traveling to Jpn.
I'm not "trying to downplay it." I am trying to prevent people from being misled. I am stating the fact that the CDC also has a level 1 notice in effect for Canada and Germany. The existence of a level 1 notice doesn't prove travel to Japan is any more dangerous than traveling to Canada or Germany.
You may think other reasons support your concerns, but using the Level 1 notice as some sort of proof of danger is disingenuous.
mjm and nomadic.relief like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1222
I'm not "trying to downplay it." I am trying to prevent people from being misled. I am stating the fact that the CDC also has a level 1 notice in effect for Canada and Germany. The existence of a level 1 notice doesn't prove travel to Japan is any more dangerous than traveling to Canada or Germany.
You may think other reasons support your concerns, but using the Level 1 notice as some sort of proof of danger is disingenuous.
But we're only talking about the impact of the coronavirus here, so your mixing of other factors into the discussion and trying to present them all as one and the same is what's disingenuous.
evergrn likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
But we're only talking about the impact of the coronavirus here, so your mixing of other factors into the discussion and trying to present them all as one and the same is what's disingenuous.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. The CDC has said coronavirus poses the same level of risk to travelers to Japan as measles does to travelers to Canada and Germany. That context is not me "mixing of other factors," but ensuring people aren't led into hysteria by incomplete information.
mjm and nomadic.relief like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 9:29 pm
mjm
Original Member

Unless we look at the CDC travel notices as a measure of relative severity, thereby giving the organization and its notices credibility in any given circumstance.

I agree that Japan's situation is bad and could quickly become dire, but I think the proof in that or an indicator of that is NOT a Level 1 CDC travel notice.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
If you learn of any outbreaks stemming from the Roppongi/Toronamon branch of a US Steak House chain or from a nearby Hyatt you’ll know why.
Alternatively, one can go along to that hotel now and try your own luck, there’s an argument for becoming exposed sooner rather than later.
(Have sent this guy’s twitter feed, the food photos make it clear where he is - at least they do to me)
I took a look at the pictures. Am I allowed to just state that it’s at Ruth’s Chris? This is not speculation as the pictures are clearly dishes they serve there presented in the exact same manner they are shown on their website.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tokyo postpones training for Olympics volunteers over virus fears
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/22/toky...rus-fears.html
Old Feb 21, 2020, 10:21 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
We'll just have to agree to disagree. The CDC has said coronavirus poses the same level of risk to travelers to Japan as measles does to travelers to Canada and Germany.
I think you misunderstand the CDC advisory. Measles prevention recommendation includes vaccination. There is no COVID-19 vaccination, so one must:
  • Avoid contact with sick people.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Clean your hands often by washing them with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at 60%–95% alcohol. Soap and water should be used if hands are visibly dirty.
    • It is especially important to clean hands after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose.
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices...onavirus-japan

Obviously, one can’t avoid contact with people who are not showing signs.

I won’t die from measles. I could from coming into contact with. COVID19 spreader, and even objects touched by one.
hailstorm, evergrn and BeachRat like this.

Last edited by 747FC; Feb 21, 2020 at 10:32 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 21, 2020, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747FC
or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at 60%–95% alcohol.
Can I just drink some Everclear instead?
mjm likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 12:09 am

I am stating the fact that the CDC also has a level 1 notice in effect for Canada and Germany. The existence of a level 1 notice doesn't prove travel to Japan is any more dangerous than traveling to Canada or Germany.
The CDC has said coronavirus poses the same level of risk to travelers to Japan as measles does to travelers to Canada and Germany. That context is not me "mixing of other factors," but ensuring people aren't led into hysteria by incomplete information.
What 747FC says.
Nobody's explained to me whether/not all level-1 CDC travel advisories are created equal. But if you just apply some context, you will know that you can't equate measles-related level 1 notice for Canada with Covid-19 related level 1 notice for Jpn & HKG. Americans (at least vast majority) are protected against measles. None of us are protected against Covid-19 which has killed >2000 in the last few weeks. HKG has level 1 advisory for Covid-19. If you take the CDC advisory level number so literally, do you really feel safe traveling to HKG casually and nonchalantly as you would Canada? If you go to HKG, will you go mask-free as you might in Canada?

No one (at least not I) said CDC's notice is a proof of danger. It certainly does not quantify the risk. But what I find worth taking notice about CDC's travel advisories is that, just as far as Covid-19 is concerned, Jpn has been added to their watch list as only the third country.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To my knowledge, there has not yet been an infection announced in the city I live in. I am also not noticing any sea change in behavior today. Quite a few people out and about, including foreigners. Various little events still taking place. Less than 5% of people are wearing masks. Alcohol spray is readily available at stores and such, but few are utilizing them.

People are still complacent. Still plenty of opportunities for the outbreak to grow.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Omotaesando certainly feels and looks different without the throngs tourists (although Kering and LVMH might not be too happy).. I would say people on the street were less than half the normal, so much so, that red faced wedding goers stood out like sore thumbs.
LapLap and jib71 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
I think you misunderstand the CDC advisory. Measles prevention recommendation includes vaccination. There is no COVID-19 vaccination, so one must:
  • Avoid contact with sick people.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
  • Clean your hands often by washing them with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at 60%–95% alcohol. Soap and water should be used if hands are visibly dirty.
    • It is especially important to clean hands after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose.
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices...onavirus-japan

Obviously, one can’t avoid contact with people who are not showing signs.

I won’t die from measles. I could from coming into contact with. COVID19 spreader, and even objects touched by one.
No, I don't misunderstand. You seem to disagree with the CDC, and think it's recommendations arent enough.
Again, you may have valid reasons to fear COVID19, but the CDC's watch is not proof of a significant danger to health.
Everyone has to make the assessment for themselves based on imperfect information and their own risk levels. The CDC has expresssly stated it does not recommend changing travel plans, though, and that it thinks hand washing etc is enough. You're free to disagree, but that disagreement isn't based on what the CDC says.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Travel notice levels for Japan and South Korea raised to Level 2: Alert, practice enhanced precautions
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/D...M_A?typeid=158

On February 22, 2020, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) stated that 110 confirmed cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) have been reported across 14 prefectures of Japan, and that more than 70% of the cases had contacted or suspected of contracting COVID-19 locally. Furthermore, the source of infection of multiple cases had not been identified, and cases linked to community and hospital clusters had also been reported. Japan has adjusted its original preventive measures to actions aiming at reducing harm to address the disease. On the other hand, the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 is rapidly growing in South Korea with 346 cases reported so far. Over 70% of the cases had contacted or suspected of contracting the novel coronavirus locally. Of these cases, the source of infection of five cases had not been identified. Cases linked to clusters at a large church and a hospital have been reported recently in South Korea. Considering the frequent social exchanges and travel between Taiwan and the two countries, the CECC announced that the travel notice levels for South Korea have been raised to Level 2: Alert, the public is advised to practice enhanced precautions.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 5:48 am

Travel notice levels for Japan and South Korea raised to Level 2: Alert, practice enhanced precautions
https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/D...M_A?typeid=158
Note this is not the US CDC, but the Taiwanese CDC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.