Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2020, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Im a new user
But how reliable are the restarted airmail services? Airmail to Europe was resumed several months ago, but I have not dared to test if it actually works because I'm afraid that shipments will just be stuck forever at the airport waiting for space on a flight and then Japan could suddenly decide to suspend airmail again and return the shipment to the sender. Instead, I've stayed with Amazon (since I trust their DHL shipping) and surface mail. Although surface mail is very slow (2-3 months), I still know that I will get my stuff at some point.
I have exported products using EMS to Germany. I exported about 23KG via EMS to Germany 2 weeks ago and it took about 7 business days.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Still no parcels... I guess my will have to make do with a greeting card for Xmas. :-/
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Still no parcels... I guess my will have to make do with a greeting card for Xmas. :-/
Eh? I sent a large full paper sized envelope with several cards in it about 1cm. Guess it was considered a letter and not a parcel...
Old Nov 24, 2020, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Sapporo and Osaka have been removed from the Goto Travel program until December 15th.

Today's number of COVID patients in critical condition in Japan are 345, the highest number it has ever been, even higher than at any time during the Emergency Declaration period.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Sapporo and Osaka have been removed from the Goto Travel program until December 15th.

Today's number of COVID patients in critical condition in Japan are 345, the highest number it has ever been, even higher than at any time during the Emergency Declaration period.
I am surprised Tokyo was not excluded again. But I guess today's reported 186 (which is really the testing over the long weekend) is an excuse not to...
Old Nov 24, 2020, 6:42 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by ainternational
Eh? I sent a large full paper sized envelope with several cards in it about 1cm. Guess it was considered a letter and not a parcel...
Japan Post indicates items with dimensions less than 23.5 cm x 12 cm x 1.0 cm can be sent as an envelope internationally, not as a parcel.

P.S. There is a weight limit of 50 g.

Also the rate will be higher but items with total dimensions of less than 90 cm, one dimension not exceeding 60 cm, and the weight less than 2.0 kg still can be shipped internationally as an envelope, not as a parcel.

Yes, this year I am trying to ship out anything holiday related items internationally by end November, just in case. Better getting there little early than late.
freecia likes this.

Last edited by AlwaysAisle; Nov 24, 2020 at 6:57 am
Old Nov 24, 2020, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am surprised Tokyo was not excluded again. But I guess today's reported 186 (which is really the testing over the long weekend) is an excuse not to...
It wasn't that is wasn't excluded again , the Governor of Tokyo is making sure to hang the decision/money/reimbursement on the Central Government. It all comes down to who is going to pay for all the cancellations etc.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have they been removed both ways ? Can Sapporo/Osaka Shi residents still take GO TO trips to other places that have yet to be removed ?
Old Nov 24, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Have they been removed both ways ? Can Sapporo/Osaka Shi residents still take GO TO trips to other places that have yet to be removed ?
Seems like exclusion of Sapporo-shi and Osaka-shi on GoTo Travel is for travel where the destination is Sapporo-shi and Osaka-shi. Residents of Osaka-shi and Sappro-shi can participate in GoTo Travel as far as a destination is not Osaka-Shi or Sappro-shi.

Also, this exclusion applies if the destination is Sappro-shi or Osaka-shi. For example, staying at Otaru or Ebetsu (30 min by train from Sapporo) and making a day trip to Sapporo is fine as far as GoTo Travel is concerned. Same way staying at Itami-shi or Toyonaka-shi (where Itami Airport is located) and going to Osaka is fine as far as GoTo Travel is concerned.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Seems like exclusion of Sapporo-shi and Osaka-shi on GoTo Travel is for travel where the destination is Sapporo-shi and Osaka-shi. Residents of Osaka-shi and Sappro-shi can participate in GoTo Travel as far as a destination is not Osaka-Shi or Sappro-shi.

Also, this exclusion applies if the destination is Sappro-shi or Osaka-shi. For example, staying at Otaru or Ebetsu (30 min by train from Sapporo) and making a day trip to Sapporo is fine as far as GoTo Travel is concerned. Same way staying at Itami-shi or Toyonaka-shi (where Itami Airport is located) and going to Osaka is fine as far as GoTo Travel is concerned.
Which is kind of ridiculous......
Old Nov 24, 2020, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Which is kind of ridiculous......
Yes and no, unless they want to cancel the whole thing you can always stay close to the border. Osaka Fu excluded, stay in Kobe go to Osaka for activities.

I do guess that it means that shops and restaurants in the cities will need to stop accepting the GoTo Travel coupons. Which will make it highly unlikely to see a lot of traffic like this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes and no, unless they want to cancel the whole thing you can always stay close to the border. Osaka Fu excluded, stay in Kobe go to Osaka for activities.

I do guess that it means that shops and restaurants in the cities will need to stop accepting the GoTo Travel coupons. Which will make it highly unlikely to see a lot of traffic like this.
They need to stop the population from going hither and yore for a few weeks so the health authorities can get a handle on things again. Should they not get a handle on this now, we can all write off any semblance, somber or not, of New Year.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The restriction is actually for Osaka-shi. So you're still free to use Goto in a place like Kashiwara within Osaka-fu.

And the reason they were excluded was because the governors explicitly asked to be excluded. Tokyo and the national government are both playing a game of chicken, with each saying it's the other's responsibility to call it off.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 6:59 am

The restriction is actually for Osaka-shi. So you're still free to use Goto in a place like Kashiwara within Osaka-fu.
So what would that mean for Tokyo? Excluding Chiyoda-ku but not Chūō-ku? That would make it even more useless as the distance to a different "city" is much shorter in Tokyo than in Osaka or Hokkaido. In Osaka people would at least end up a bit further from the centre if they decide to go to East Osaka, Yao, Matsubara or something.
Old Nov 25, 2020, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Im a new user
So what would that mean for Tokyo? Excluding Chiyoda-ku but not Chūō-ku? That would make it even more useless as the distance to a different "city" is much shorter in Tokyo than in Osaka or Hokkaido. In Osaka people would at least end up a bit further from the centre if they decide to go to East Osaka, Yao, Matsubara or something.
Gov. Koike and PM Suga both desperately want to continue the Goto program, but both fear the optics of refusing to shut it down while infections rage out of control. So they've come up with the strategy of saying that it's the others responsibility to make the determination, even though other governor's wishes have already been respected in this regards.

It's all kabuki theater to avoid coming out and saying that they fear damage to the economy more than the virus.

As for the new Tokyo restrictions, they will be in place for the 23 wards and the Tama area. The other parts of Tokyo remain exempt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.