Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2020, 9:39 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Antibody Test Results in Japan

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.XumPBOdug9M

"Only 0.1 percent of people in Tokyo tested positive for antibodies against the coronavirus, a survey conducted by the health ministry found Tuesday, indicating the spread of the virus in Japan’s capital remains limited, even though the number of cases may be higher than those already found.

The survey involved 1,971 participants in Tokyo. By limiting testing for the virus, an approach said to help prevent the spread of the disease, Japanese authorities have left many wondering what the true infection rate in the country is. If the sample in Tokyo is representative of the general population, it would mean around 14,000 cases in the capital, compared to the more than 5,000 cases identified so far."

"Japan also conducted antibody tests in Osaka, where a 0.17 percent positive rate was recorded among 2,970 people, and Miyagi Prefecture, where the rate was just 0.03 percent of 3,009 people surveyed. Samples were collected from a total of about 8,000 people in the three regions.

The figures are notably higher than the ratio of 0.015 percent based on the 18,261 people who have been confirmed to be infected with the virus in Japan by Monday, out of the country’s total population of roughly 125.9 million."
LapLap and acregal like this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:00 pm

The figures are notably higher than the ratio of 0.015 percent
And the good news is that it means that the death rate for people exposed to the virus is much lower than official figures would suggest.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Cleared outbound immigration.

Provided documentation under the new published guidelines. They took about 30 minutes to analyze my situation, copied all of my materials and issued me a special re-entry permit allowing my return per my return ticket and because of my exceptional circumstances.

The officer asked, if possible, to being additional documentation to further verify my exceptional circumstances, upon return. It’s fairly obvious this is highly preferred but not necessarily required. Final determination for re-entry is at the designation of inbound immigration no matter what re-entry permit is granted. Such language was indicated on a form I was required to sign.

During check-in, the airline also asked my method to return to Japan but once mentioned, did not ask for any documentation. They kindly reminded me of the return PCR testing procedures and private transportation requirement.

The NH F lounge is open and serving limited but adequate food and beverages including the normal made to order items.

99% of Narita stores are closed and approximately 20 pax on my 787-9. Mostly military.

There are more cleaning people than pax in the airport. Frankly, I think it’s a delightful time to travel, if you must.
mjm, LapLap, nishimark and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 11:09 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by lobsterdog
And the good news is that it means that the death rate for people exposed to the virus is much lower than official figures would suggest.
The virus has infected a really low percentage of people in Japan. Because the infection rate is low and tests aren't 100% accurate, I don't think you can extrapolate much more than that from the data.

The 0.03% positive rate in Miyagi means that one person tested positive among the surveyed population of 3,009 people. In Tokyo it was 2 positives in a population of 1,971. A single false positive among the 1,971 tests in Tokyo would give a prevalence of 0.05%, meaning that 7,000 people in Tokyo have been infected, compared to the more than 5,000 cases identified.

Some good news is that a cheap steroid, dexamethasone, has been shown to improve mortality for seriously ill patients. So the infection mortality rate around the world should improve now. Fingers crossed that additional therapies will emerge soon.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 12:41 am

Uniqlo Airism masks will soon be on sale in Japan https://www.uniqlo.com/jp/ja/content...e/airism-mask/

Others have posted that local Japanese clothing companies were selling cloth masks a while back. Hopefully the summer masks will be a little easier to breathe in (though the point is to block droplets so possibly at odds?) https://mainichi.jp/english/articles...0m/0bu/059000c especially if people are going back to offices with cool biz eco saving mode on and kids in non-AC schools/outside.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Japan National Tourism Organization (JNTO) has released the information regarding number of non-Japanese entered the country.

May 2020 only 1,700 non-Japanese has entered Japan, where May 2019 there were 2,773,091 non-Japanese entered Japan.
April 2020 only 2,900 non-Japanese has entered Japan, where April 2019 there were 2,926,385 non-Japanese entered Japan.

JNTO indicated that 1,700 non-Japanese entered Japan on May pretty much all them were permanent residents of Japan. By the country, 50 were from the U.S., 30 were from mainland China, 30 were from India, 20 were from South Korea, and 20 were from France.

Even with these number, the media in Japan is giving impression that Japanese government is in no hurry to increase that number this summer.
jib71 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Abe confirms plans to ease travel restrictions to Australia, NZ, Thailand and Vietnam.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200618_28/
Old Jun 18, 2020, 8:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Starting today you can do all the traveling your heart desires........within Japan. Heard that Kyoto is lovely without the mobs......

I wouldn't plan on being able to travel for tourism outside Japan for many months.......!
Hm. Is it really without the mobs? I'm kind of assuming that it's still mobbed .... but by domestic tourists, heh.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Hm. Is it really without the mobs? I'm kind of assuming that it's still mobbed .... but by domestic tourists, heh.
No, it's deserted. I heard it from a reliable source, and it made me absurdly 羨ましい. Kind of what it was like in the 1980s and before (maybe even until the early 1990s). And it was great.
Q Shoe Guy and LapLap like this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
No, it's deserted. I heard it from a reliable source, and it made me absurdly 羨ましい. Kind of what it was like in the 1980s and before (maybe even until the early 1990s). And it was great.
Really. That much! That's surprising, I'd have thought the locals would at least be out in droves, now that the emegency's been lifted and so on.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Really. That much! That's surprising, I'd have thought the locals would at least be out in droves, now that the emegency's been lifted and so on.
The only thing they are out in droves for is work..
Old Jun 19, 2020, 3:43 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by ainternational
The only thing they are out in droves for is work..
And shopping. Went to Kobe-Sanda Premium Outlet center today. First time out and about outside of neighborhood for a long time. Surprised to see how many had the same idea. Well, maybe not so surprised to see how many, just surprised to see humanity again.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by nishimark
And shopping. Went to Kobe-Sanda Premium Outlet center today. First time out and about outside of neighborhood for a long time. Surprised to see how many had the same idea. Well, maybe not so surprised to see how many, just surprised to see humanity again.
Hey now. Gotta burn that 100K yen
Old Jun 19, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: Delta
Hey now. Gotta burn that 100K yen
Doing our patriotic part! Needed shoes. Found some other stuff too. Even had a Hawaiian burger for lunch! No tourist buses. Nice.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by nishimark
Doing our patriotic part! Needed shoes. Found some other stuff too. Even had a Hawaiian burger for lunch! No tourist buses. Nice.
Oh no you ain't unless you're buying Onitsuka Tiger "Made Of Japan" series, which is about the only shoes made in Japan these days though you sure as hell aren't getting a lot of those shoes for 10 man.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.