Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
"Chief cabinet secretary Yoshihide Sugaand health minister Katsunobu Kato said there was no evidence the new coronavirus, was spreading widely in Japan."

Yes, as long as you don't test people, there won't be evidence that the disease is spreading in Japan...
so much emphasis on downplaying things.
Wonder if the arrest of Macky was timed to distract the public from the growing virus-related anxiety and criticism.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 1:23 am

New rule to take effect 14 Feb

https://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/s/article...301001165.html

If there's anyone suspected of having the virus upon arrival is indeed found to have the virus, then no one on the flight is allowed entry to Jpn and everyone is routed to quarantine / holding pattern.

I'm not sure if this is going to be any different than what they've already been doing. I don't know if this is at all a significant change.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:28 am

Programs: LH M+M
Originally Posted by evergrn
If there's anyone suspected of having the virus upon arrival is indeed found to have the virus, then no one on the flight is allowed entry to Jpn and everyone is routed to quarantine / holding pattern.
That's just not possible? There is no "5 Minute Testkit", let alone to have it onboard.

*confuzzled*
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
https://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/s/article...301001165.html

I'm not sure if this is going to be any different than what they've already been doing. I don't know if this is at all a significant change.
Not sure about your translation.

An English article.
https://www.nippon.com/en/news/yjj20...uarantine.html

Tokyo, Feb. 13 (Jiji Press)--Japan will revise an ordinance to enable the isolation of those infected or suspected of being infected with the new coronavirus during quarantine, the health ministry said Thursday.

The revision, seen taking effect Friday, will also allow authorities to conduct compulsory hospitalization of infected people with no symptoms.

The government decided on the revision after a group infection and infected people without symptoms were found on the Diamond Princess cruise ship quarantined at Yokohama, near Tokyo.

Under the revised ordinance, authorities will be able to isolate infected people through hospitalization and make people suspected of being infected stay at designated facilities, during the quarantine procedures before they enter the country.

As people with no symptoms will be subject to the compulsory hospitalization measure, the government will cover their medical costs.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:13 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I have a two night stay in Tokyo coming up in a week, I’m getting somewhat concerned about transiting through NRT and these new rules. Any others?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Not sure what to say anymore. We're in uncharted territory here.

I'm worried about leaving Japan, then not being able to get back in.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle

An English article.

If that article is an accurate translation the ordinance appears to give authorities broad latitude to act even on suspicions -- so how is that determined, and by whom? A flight crew who notices a passenger coughing or who appears unwell?
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Was surprised to hear that four countries are already banning people coming from Japan from entering the country. Samoa even bans its own citizens from returning!
Which countries? Source of this information?

South Pacific islands don’t count. ;-)

Anyways what’s the fourth? Your post makes it sound like it’s a significant issue. Guessing there aren’t a lot of pax going from Japan to those islands on a monthly basis. And they didn’t single out Japan either.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I'm more concerned today than I have been leading up to this point based on the posts above and news reports today.

It seems like there is now a risk on some level of getting stuck a la the Diamond Princess if officials have suspicions about anyone on the flight even if that is unlikely for a flight from the US but we've got ORD - NRT - ITM and then HND - ORD booked so there is some risk there. Plus of course the risk of getting independently sick (not related at all to coronavirus but still presenting a fever) and having that lead to a quarantine situation when trying to leave on HND - ORD.

Add in reports of countries who are beginning to include Japan in their bans, there's a risk that my own business travel could potentially be impacted with a Japan stamp in the passport if things worsen.

Still have a little over a month before we are slated to go but this is the first time I've begun to consider the possibility of cancelling.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 11:26 am

I had never canceled a trip either until now. And it did cost me some money in non-refundable hotel costs but I weighed that against the possibility -- perhaps slim -- of actually getting sick or caught up in some travel disruptions and, more importantly, the reality that I was going to be concerned about this before, during and after the trip. For me that was no way to take a pleasure trip.

And bad news seems to be trickling out a little more every day, which could be due to a changing situation but also maybe some crisis management. There are many enormous economic interests impacted here from the Chinese economy, Tokyo Olympics, cruise and travel industry, airlines, etc., and that makes for a whole lot of incentive to perhaps trickle things out, downplay things or otherwise try to minimize the effects.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA PLAT, EK GOLD, Hilton Diamond
Much in the same boat...really not sure about travel to Tokyo second week of March for a trade show. Having said that, this in the news today:
https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202002140012
Taiwan is issuing a Level 1 Alert for Japan.
Fun times
Old Feb 14, 2020, 4:07 pm

South Korea is advising citizens not to travel to Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand and Taiwan.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Co...-and-Singapore
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:01 pm

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
I had never canceled a trip either until now. And it did cost me some money in non-refundable hotel costs but I weighed that against the possibility -- perhaps slim -- of actually getting sick or caught up in some travel disruptions and, more importantly, the reality that I was going to be concerned about this before, during and after the trip. For me that was no way to take a pleasure trip.

And bad news seems to be trickling out a little more every day, which could be due to a changing situation but also maybe some crisis management. There are many enormous economic interests impacted here from the Chinese economy, Tokyo Olympics, cruise and travel industry, airlines, etc., and that makes for a whole lot of incentive to perhaps trickle things out, downplay things or otherwise try to minimize the effects.
I agree with you and have also started the cancellation process for my trip.It is a real shame as I had booked with points a year ago and had all plans worked out.Anyways I would not have enjoyed myself worrying about quarantines etc Maybe next year
Duke787 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:09 pm

I just cancelled.
Things really escalated over the past 2-3 days to the point where I felt the risk of getting stuck in Jpn (or somewhere) was no longer insignificant.
lobsterdog and Duke787 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2020, 7:16 pm

An English article.

My translation is correct (I'm native).
My link talked about a couple of different initiatives (「隔離」&「停留」) the second of which caught my attention and that's what I translated.
停留は、飛行機や船舶に1人でも明らかな感染者がいたら、乗客全員を入国させずに検査結果が出るまで医療機 関にとどまってもらう。

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.