Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ainternational
Zero chance or cancellation.
I think there is zero chance that Japan just decides on their own to cancel the Olympics.

HOWEVER, if countries start pulling their athletes out of the Olympics over safety concerns, and you get up to dozens of nations that choose not to come, then I think it would be very difficult for them to carry on.

The silver lining would be that Tokyo would become the first city ever to have two Olympic games cancelled. That would likely be an all-time unbreakable record.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by freecia
It is kind of a catch-22 regarding China. Close the ranks and they'll remember the slight. Keep it open, have an outbreak during the Olympics, and they'll also shun tourism to Japan and their products. East Asia accounts for 61%, including China at 28.1%, of the inbound tourism in December 2019. It's not an insignificant percentage of travel and consumer spending from cultures which value face.
Agreed.

It's an extraordinarily difficult decision, and one that's incredibly complex and nuanced. Just taking my personal experience, and I'm as far from the PRC's ruling philosophy as one can possibly be, I remember each person who made an effort to avoid me, even though I self quarantined. Just as China would, I'll remember the slight and will only be too happy to return the favor should the situation ever be reversed.

Reciprocity is the one area I do have in common with the PRC's philosophy.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
America is offering voluntary evacuation tonight from the Diamond Princess for American citizens and their immediate family.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/15/p...hip/index.html

If they choose to do this, they will have to undergo another 14 days of quarantine in the United States, i.e., into the beginning of March.

This is a stunning rebuke of Japan's quarantine policy.
40 of 400 American evacuees tested positive for coronavirus and will be quarantined at a hospital in Japan.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51524460
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
40 of 400 American evacuees tested positive for coronavirus and will be quarantined at a hospital in Japan.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-51524460
Are they the people who had already been identified, or did the US CDC etc. newly find them?
In any case, you can't justify putting them on the same flight as other people if they are infected, so it makes sense to hospitalise them in Japan.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Are they the people who had already been identified, or did the US CDC etc. newly find them?
They wouldn't have still been on the boat if they had already been identified.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:37 pm
mjm
Original Member

The timeline of getting them off the boat last night to identifying new cases would seem to indicate an instant test or a whole bunch of really sick looking people trying to get off the boat. Do we think the CDC has some great new test they should be sharing with Japan?
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm
The timeline of getting them off the boat last night to identifying new cases would seem to indicate an instant test or a whole bunch of really sick looking people trying to get off the boat. Do we think the CDC has some great new test they should be sharing with Japan?
How do you know the timing of the tests? I certainly don't.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:47 pm
mjm
Original Member

How do you know the timing of the tests? I certainly don't.
I am working from the information that Americans were offloaded Sunday night. Unless the ship had the CDC aboard before that unbeknownst to the public the CDC would have had a short window to make these results known. If they had tests long enough for cultures to be checked via the standard test in Japan the authorities here would have known. Of course this could simply be the subset of the previously identified cases that were American.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:48 pm
mjm
Original Member

And more to the point, if this statement is accurate and the CDC had access from Sunday, the window is mighty short. Somewhere the info is not complete in this story.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 6:22 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I know that, but the article may have mixed up the total number of confirmed cases who were American and were no longer on the ship, but worded it vaguely, or not.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tokyo Marathon organizers are reportedly asking Chinese nationals to voluntarily defer their entry until next year.

Other sites are suggesting stricter measures, up to banning all recreational runners from the race.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by ainternational
Zero chance or cancellation. Even if the situation goes exponential with the virus. Just cannot fathom the cancellation as the economic impact would be judged to be more costly than that of lives. That’s not MY opinion, but I personally think the Japanese government will weigh it like that and opt for the “group good” economically. Sorry.
I think there is zero chance that Japan just decides on their own to cancel the Olympics.

HOWEVER, if countries start pulling their athletes out of the Olympics over safety concerns, and you get up to dozens of nations that choose not to come, then I think it would be very difficult for them to carry on.
Agree with all that, with regards to the Olympics.
Jpn takes Olympics very (very) seriously.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 12:23 am

It would be a huge loss of face if a significant outbreak happens during the Olympics if COVID-19 isn't significantly more understood and less feared by then. I don't know if it would be a Fukushima-like tourism slump applied to the entire country for several years, to say nothing of the impact it would have on Japan's soft power. Much of Tokyo 2020 is to support Japan's goal of promoting tourism and boosting the economy. It's also a huge campaign to promote "Cool Japan" soft power and implicit superiority of retail goods. I'm sure they have economists running the numbers.

It is kind of a catch-22 regarding China. Close the ranks and they'll remember the slight. Keep it open, have an outbreak during the Olympics, and they'll also shun tourism to Japan and their products. East Asia accounts for 61%, including China at 28.1%, of the inbound tourism in December 2019. It's not an insignificant percentage of travel and consumer spending from cultures which value face. Many of these governments are also running their own cultural globalization influence campaigns. South Korea's recent media wave, Parasite and BTS, is good awareness for them. Japanese companies like Muji's parent and Uniqlo/GU Fast Retailing are feeling the effects of S. Korea trade war and tension in Hong Kong.

Morbidly, I have wondered what an outbreak would do to the elderly population of Japan and the challenges they pose to pension and economy.
Jpn's on thin ice for a myriad of reasons, some of them self-inflicted. This virus situation will be a huge challenge that I don't think will destroy Jpn by any stretch, but it presents Jpn with yet another opportunity to turn up the gear on overhauling a lot of things (relationship w/ China, pension, work force shortage, government transparency)

With regards to the Olympics, of course the IOC will have a say, but Jpn should be prepared to do the right thing whatever that may be.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:11 am

Tokyo Marathon organizers are reportedly asking Chinese nationals to voluntarily defer their entry until next year.

Other sites are suggesting stricter measures, up to banning all recreational runners from the race.
They officially announced a ban of all voluntary runners (i.e. only the invited top pro-level athletes will be running).
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I know that, but the article may have mixed up the total number of confirmed cases who were American and were no longer on the ship, but worded it vaguely, or not.
The magic of internet edits has re-worded it somewhat but the original snippet is now cited
I hope they didn't find 40 Americans who tested positive still on the ship awaiting evacuation, in addition to the 44 positive cases already quarantined at Japanese hospitals https://www.npr.org/2020/02/16/806470340/americans-evacuate-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-amid-spread-of-infection There's initial reports that perhaps 14 of the US evacuees tested positive while on the plane and placed in a containment area but I've learned my lesson - will wait for more confirmation by additional news outlets.

How are the evacuating countries running their tests, if Japan wasn't able to run them at a similar speed and volume?
LTN Phobia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.