Reload this Page >

Western chain hotels in Tokyo and Kyoto

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Western chain hotels in Tokyo and Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:51 am

The Hyatt Centric in Ginza is quite central and you can easily walk to a huge variety of shops, department stores, decent proximity to Tokyo/Shinagawa for shinkansen to Kyoto, and several subway lines + JR Yurakucho station. It might be good for that last night before you head to the airport if you want to do some last minute shopping. I prefer staying along Shimbashi, Ginza, etc side of the city vs Shinjuku as I usually do more around the East side of the city. When weather in Japan is hot, my rule of thumb is to book as close to a subway station as I can get. A few extra blocks can feel like forever in humidity. Higashi Ginza station connects via underground walkways all the way to Hibiya station and several department stores have underground entrances.
LapLap and ShopAround like this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For Tokyo, I think the Hilton Shinjuku is a bad location; it's surrounded by high rise modern government office buildings. Given your shopping interests and possible day trips, I'd try to stay near Tokyo Station, such as Ginza or Hibya. For many destinations, Shinagawa station also works, but you're farther from prime shopping or tourist areas. Think also about transportation to/from the airport (HND or NRT?) and try to pick a hotel that has direct limobus service at convenient times.
It'll be HND, now that DL has moved operations there. And every time someone suggests a hotel, I look to see if it's served by the airport bus. Regarding the Hilton, so many people have suggested it but when I look at the area in Googlemaps, it didn't look like there was much right around the hotel, so your comment about the location makes sense.

Originally Posted by freecia
The Hyatt Centric in Ginza is quite central and you can easily walk to a huge variety of shops, department stores, decent proximity to Tokyo/Shinagawa for shinkansen to Kyoto, and several subway lines + JR Yurakucho station. It might be good for that last night before you head to the airport if you want to do some last minute shopping. I prefer staying along Shimbashi, Ginza, etc side of the city vs Shinjuku as I usually do more around the East side of the city. When weather in Japan is hot, my rule of thumb is to book as close to a subway station as I can get. A few extra blocks can feel like forever in humidity. Higashi Ginza station connects via underground walkways all the way to Hibiya station and several department stores have underground entrances.
I'll be there the beginning of September, so the heat and humidity will probably be an issue. Hyatt is usually my last choice since my low status doesn't get me anything but I'll take a look at the Hyatt Centric.

Interesting that you both mention Ginza; when I started planning, that was the location I thought would be most suited for me. But I wasn't finding much in the way of the western chain hotels I needed to use points (five or six nights in a Courtyard wasn't very appealing), so I started looking elsewhere. Now I think I'm swinging back to my original plan and putting location over status.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by ShopAround
It'll be HND, now that DL has moved operations there. And every time someone suggests a hotel, I look to see if it's served by the airport bus. Regarding the Hilton, so many people have suggested it but when I look at the area in Googlemaps, it didn't look like there was much right around the hotel, so your comment about the location makes sense.

I'll be there the beginning of September, so the heat and humidity will probably be an issue. Hyatt is usually my last choice since my low status doesn't get me anything but I'll take a look at the Hyatt Centric.

Interesting that you both mention Ginza; when I started planning, that was the location I thought would be most suited for me. But I wasn't finding much in the way of the western chain hotels I needed to use points (five or six nights in a Courtyard wasn't very appealing), so I started looking elsewhere. Now I think I'm swinging back to my original plan and putting location over status.
Hilton Shinjuku is serviced directly by the limo bus.

Tokyo is a very, very, very large city. It's not something where you're going to walk out your hotel door and have everything within a 10-15 minute walking distance. What you want to do is pick a hotel that is very close to a convenient line. And let me tell you something, the larger stations in Tokyo (and Japan) can be extremely confusing and bewildering, ESPECIALLY for a first time visitor. I'm telling you right now OP, no matter how good you are with subways (and even if you're using Google Maps which will provide you with the right lines to take), you will lose your mind at least once or twice during your trip. The tochomae station right by the Hilton is as easy as they come in Japan. It will get you where you need to go and then figuring it out from there is quite easy.

MSP probably just isn't a fan of Shinjuku. The Hilton, Hyatt, and Park Hyatt are all right next to each other. If you search other forums, Shinjuku is consistently mentioned as a great place to base, especially for a first time visitor.
ShopAround likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Actually I've stayed in Shinjuku, several times at the PH and at least once at the HR across the street from the Hilton.

I've also stayed at PG (Starriott LC) when elites still had lounge access, Andaz a number of times, Westin a number of times, Palace, Imperial many times, one of the Washington business hotels, the old LM, a local hotel near Tokyo Station, and a NRT airport hotel (Japanese chain).

For shopping, I'd personally pick the Imperial. It's a nice mix of local and international and is attached to an upscale indoor mall where I've seen watches in the window with a (converted) price of over a half million dollars. It's a fun way to spend time if the weather is bad. There are also some good stores in the hotel itself for porcelain, kimonos, and bridal gowns. You can walk to the Tokyo station pedestrian street and major Ginza department stores (fascinating basement food halls) and my favorite, Wako, plus lots of smaller shops and some electronics display places, etc.
ShopAround likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Well, I greatly appreciate everyone's comments but now I'm even more confused.

I had originally started thinking I'd book someplace in Ginza (CY Ginza isn't available, was considering CY Toyko Station), then was looking at the Westin, then the Hilton Shinjuku, then the Hyatt Centric but when I was looking at Hyatt, I noticed that the Hyatt Regency is available and I can book a Club level room with lounge access for fewer points than the Centric (and it looks like the HR is serviced by the airport bus but the CY and Centric are not).

Then I went back to look at the Hilton Shinjuku again, but it looks like the points increased since I last checked and I don't have enough for a room there with lounge access (although if I decide on the Hilton, I can just get the Amex for gold status). Lounge access isn't a dealbreaker, but it's nice to have a place for a light breakfast, beverages and maybe a snack in the evening and I've really grown accustomed to taking advantage of it, especially when I'm traveling by myself for an extended period and have a night or two where I just don't feel like heading out to dinner alone.

Sandeep1 , I hear you about the transportation. I'm a native New Yorker and have been taking mass transit my entire life but I know getting around Toyko will be a challenge (already I'm struggling to understand all the different lines, I'm so used to places like NY, London and Paris where it's all one transit system). When I travel, I'm usually pretty good about doing my research and targeting the area where I want to be, but I think I'm feeling overwhelmed with all the options.

I also still have to figure out Kyoto, where I have two different Marriott choices (Westin and Ritz-Carlton) and neither seem to be that well-located, which is my issue with most of the available Marriott choices I have in Toyko. I may need to broaden my search there as well but would like to get Tokyo sorted out first and I'm really struggling with making a decision.
not2017 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:01 pm

I had originally started thinking I'd book someplace in Ginza (CY Ginza isn't available, was considering CY Toyko Station), then was looking at the Westin, then the Hilton Shinjuku, then the Hyatt Centric but when I was looking at Hyatt, I noticed that the Hyatt Regency is available and I can book a Club level room with lounge access for fewer points than the Centric (and it looks like the HR is serviced by the airport bus but the CY and Centric are not).

Then I went back to look at the Hilton Shinjuku again, but it looks like the points increased since I last checked and I don't have enough for a room there with lounge access (although if I decide on the Hilton, I can just get the Amex for gold status). Lounge access isn't a dealbreaker, but it's nice to have a place for a light breakfast, beverages and maybe a snack in the evening and I've really grown accustomed to taking advantage of it, especially when I'm traveling by myself for an extended period and have a night or two where I just don't feel like heading out to dinner alone.

Sandeep1 , I hear you about the transportation. I'm a native New Yorker and have been taking mass transit my entire life but I know getting around Toyko will be a challenge (already I'm struggling to understand all the different lines, I'm so used to places like NY, London and Paris where it's all one transit system). When I travel, I'm usually pretty good about doing my research and targeting the area where I want to be, but I think I'm feeling overwhelmed with all the options.

I also still have to figure out Kyoto, where I have two different Marriott choices (Westin and Ritz-Carlton) and neither seem to be that well-located, which is my issue with most of the available Marriott choices I have in Toyko. I may need to broaden my search there as well but would like to get Tokyo sorted out first and I'm really struggling with making a decision.
I have Google Maps on my phone as I have internet access no matter where I am in the world. It tells me exactly what line to take and how long it should take. I've still lost my mind several times in the larger Japanese stations which can be extremely overwhelming. The Japanese are very, very, very friendly but communicating in English can be a challenge at times. They will want to help but there is a high likelihood that they will be unable to communicate in a way that you'll understand. And so you will have to rely on your own intelligence/ability to figure things out. Keep that in mind.

Shinjuku is a dead area, especially where the Hilton is. However, having the Tochomae station just an easy 3 minute walk away is worth its weight in gold.

And you're right, both the Hilton and Hyatt Regency are serviced by the limo bus while the Hyatt Centric Ginza is not. And the Hyatt Regency is also cheaper in points. I would never pay 20k for the Hyatt Ginza unless it was maybe cherry blossom season.

For Kyoto, if you've got the points, I'd go with the Ritz. Location is fine. 25 minute walk from both Nijo Castle and Gion which will both be must do's on your trip.
ShopAround likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:03 pm

Google Maps, HyperDia | ???? ???? ??? ???? ??? ???????, mobile data, and a Suica card make this a lot easier. The stored value JR Suica or Metro Pasmo IC card works for both JR & city subways by tapping in and tapping out. You can literally go in on the subway, transfer at X point to JR train, and tap out at a JR station and the card handles all the calculations. If you happen to board a train in the wrong direction, which still happens to me after many years of visiting, just get off when you can and reverse the direction. It can sometimes require tapping out and back in if the platforms aren't connected but that's no big deal other than the small fare. Apple iPhone 8 and newer support digital Suica and recharging with a credit card in the wallet https://atadistance.net/apple-pay-suica/
For help: Apple Pay & Suica on iPhone/Apple Watch in Japan [consolidated thread] Otherwise just top up with cash at the ticket machine.

It can help to go to google maps, star/save the things you want to see, and then decide on hotel based on proximity or transit lines. Tokyo neighborhood feels can differ a lot, similar to NYC. Shibuya and Shinjuku are recommended to first timers, but to be honest, I'd personally equate them a bit like Times Square. So.many.blinking.lights. So many tourists standing in the middle of the road/sidewalk or walking at non-city-dweller speeds. They can be convenient as a transit hub. I visit for a few specific specialty stores but generally head elsewhere for window shopping.

One of the unique things about Tokyo is that if you can think of a retail specialty, Tokyo pretty much has it. Natural bristle cleaning brush store, paper boutiques to design your own notebooks, and indie outdoor gear all exist within Tokyo in addition to the more famous "Only in Japan" stuff like Pokemon, anime, Muji, and various fashion genres.

Last edited by freecia; Jan 21, 2020 at 11:47 pm Reason: hahaha, pokeman.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:13 pm

Suica Card is huge, definitely get one OP and keep it loaded. Extremely convenient.
ksandness and ShopAround like this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Location-wise, you can't beat the Park Hyatt Kyoto. Located in arguably the best tourism spot of Kyoto, with about two full days of sight-seeing within walking distance. And the hotel is stunning in its own right.
ShopAround likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:14 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred

Take a look at the individual property thread, but I think you'll be happy with a club room at the HR. Frankly, I was less than impressed by the CY Ginza in both the food and room so imo, you dodged a bullet there.

It all comes down to personal preference and while I like to shop at specific places in Ginza, there's a lot of chain stores and very tourist heavy so isn't a pleasant place to stay for us. Ginza is accessible enough from Shinjuku. Or elsewhere.
ShopAround and not2017 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Everyone has their own opinions. Mine is the the Grand Hyatt Tokyo (in Roppongi Hills) is my favorite hotel that I've ever been to.
ShopAround and rustykettel like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:25 am

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
Do you know what you want to see or do in Tokyo? I think that would help narrow things down by seeing if your activities are centered around one particular area. If you have a million things, see what are your top 10 must-dos.

I was only in tokyo for a 3 days, but was definitely going to the racecourse which was west of tokyo and watching a horseback archery demo near the sky tree, so I picked the Hilton Shinjuku as I'm a Hilton member and the Intercontinental ANA Tokyo as I had a free night certificate I had to use (IC ANA Strings didn't work with the free certificate - was booked full I guess). Either hotel were fine for getting around Tokyo. Shinjuku would add a bit more time for places in eastern/central Tokyo. Unless you're on a tight schedule or very limited budget, you can't really go wrong with a hotel with a subway stop nearby.

FWIW, I also stayed at the Crowne Plaza Kyoto and was upgraded to one of the renovated rooms as just a platinum member. Doesn't seem to be 100% guaranteed from the reviews in FT thread, so ymmv, my mini review is here - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...-thread-4.html
ShopAround and not2017 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:06 pm

I'm a native New Yorker and have been taking mass transit my entire life but I know getting around Toyko will be a challenge (already I'm struggling to understand all the different lines, I'm so used to places like NY, London and Paris where it's all one transit system). When I travel, I'm usually pretty good about doing my research and targeting the area where I want to be, but I think I'm feeling overwhelmed with all the options.
I lived in Manhattan and have visited Tokyo several times. Two subway tips:
1) Every exit has a code number and it is on all the signage in the station. I wish other systems (NYC and DC- I'm looking at you) did this! Remember the number that corresponds with your hotel and you'll rarely get lost once at your "home" station. If you can figure out what exit number you need on your way somewhere, it will save a considerable amount of confusion.
2) EXPERT MODE: If I understand correctly, there are even signs/guides as to what train car gets you aligned with a specific exit. I've never figured out exactly how to use it, but if I did, I'd feel like a god among mortals.
ksandness and pudgym29 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by Pureboy
1) Every exit has a code number and it is on all the signage in the station. I wish other systems (NYC and DC- I'm looking at you) did this! Remember the number that corresponds with your hotel and you'll rarely get lost once at your "home" station. If you can figure out what exit number you need on your way somewhere, it will save a considerable amount of confusion.
2) EXPERT MODE: If I understand correctly, there are even signs/guides as to what train car gets you aligned with a specific exit. I've never figured out exactly how to use it, but if I did, I'd feel like a god among mortals.
True, and if you look around, you will find a directory of exits, one that tells you to take Exit 1A for this office building, Exit 1B for that park, Exit 2 for that train station, and so on. The signs are in both Japanese and English, yellow plaques with black writing, on the walls of the station platforms.
pudgym29 and ShopAround like this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lmwong1977
Do you know what you want to see or do in Tokyo? I think that would help narrow things down by seeing if your activities are centered around one particular area. If you have a million things, see what are your top 10 must-dos.
It's funny, Tokyo is a city I've wanted to see for a long time but other than just walking around, I don't have much specific in mind. Usually when I travel someplace, I create an itinerary (I'm a tour operator by profession, I can't help it) and all I have so far is specific neighborhoods to explore. At least at this point, it's very vague, although I do have specific day trips in mind for when I'm in Kyoto (Nara and Osaka).
Originally Posted by Pureboy
This is very helpful. I often use the CityMapper app when I travel and Toyko is one of the cities they cover but I doubt it will be this specific.

As of now, I have booked five nights at the Hyatt Regency in Tokyo, five nights at the Westin in Kyoto and then one final night at the Toyko Marriott (I was looking for something convenient for the Shinkansen that was also serviced by the airport bus). I know there won't be much right around the Hyatt, but the proximity to Shinjuku station will be convenient and I have enough points to book a room with Club access (and as far as point redemption goes, it's a great deal).

In Kyoto, I know the Westin isn't that central but the shuttle will help with that and my status will get me lounge access, late check out, etc. I would have booked the Hyatt but don't have enough points after using them in Tokyo (plus I may need the Bonvoy room nights).

Of course, these are all on points and the trip is still seven months away so there's plenty of time for me to change my mind.

I really appreciate everyone's helpful comments so very much. For some reason, I've been feeling out of my depth as I plan this trip so it's extremely helpful to have input from people familiar with the destinations and properties.
pudgym29 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.