Reload this Page >

Agoda asking for scan of credit card and passport while booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Agoda asking for scan of credit card and passport while booking

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:26 pm

a policy of Agoda, and not a policy of Rihga Royal Hotel Hiroshima.
That doesn't surprise me - I've worked with them from the other end, and Agoda give the impression of being somewhat disorganized, and they've always seemed like a databreach waiting to happen.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
The law we are talking about is 「旅館業法施行規則」which originally issued on year Shouwa 23 (1948) and called 「厚生省令第二十八号」( former Ministry of Labor Article 28). Original law issued on 1948 does not state anything in regard copy of a passport.. However, since 1948 revisions were issued. One of the revision issued on Jan. 24, 2005 and went into effect on April 1, 2005 「厚生労働省令第7号」. The revision states:

The revision on 2005 specifically states that the copy of a passport should be saved along with guest list.
This is where we really start to get into the weeds of Japanese law and so on. What you are quoting is a "tsuuchi", or notification. It does not supplant the original law, but is only a suggestion. It is not enforceable. Further, local hotels and agencies often go too far and also ask for copies of ID from residents of Japan (like me), which is absolutely forbidden.

Even worse are outside agencies asking for such information. Scans are easily copies and stolen. ID theft is a huge problem, I would never scan any important information and send it to a business.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:47 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
The fun part is when Hotels start asking permanent residents for copies of their zairyuu cards which is definitely NOT allowed.

I've had that happen to me twice at a certain airport hotel in Japan....

-mrploddy
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:58 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Since the OP clarified that it was an OTA that requested this information rather than the hotel (since he was able to book the same hotel elsewhere without submitting that information), I've edited the thread title to clarify.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:07 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by kumagoro
Actually the law in Japan has not changed. Hotels cannot demand a copy of your passport as a condition of renting you a room. As a non-resident tourist all you are required to do is to write your nationality and passport number on the registration form. That's it. Unfortunately many properties seem to think they are entitled to a copy. Personally, I am careful about my personal info so I would definitely push back if a hotel wanted to copy my passport. Japan usually is very careful about privacy- residents and citizens aren't required to provide and form of ID at all at hotels.
You might want to check the law again. Hotels are *required* by law to collect registration cards and copies of passports for all non-residents. These are passed on to police on a daily basis. Even minpaku are *required* by law to collect copies of non-resident passports and report them.

The really amusing part is if you *are* a resident (ie. have a gaijin card) then you, as you say above, are *not*, by law, required to supply your card or passport. You only have to complete the registration form as a Jpns national would. Trying to get a hotel to understand that distinction and apply it, however..... oh, the arguments I've had when I've been in the mood to push back....!
Old Jan 20, 2020, 1:29 am

Hi James!

Permanent resident here myself. I have never yet had to show my residence card to hotel staff let alone let them copy it. Most of the time just telling them that I have an address in Japan and then filling in the form is sufficient. Occasionallly I get a bit of tooth-sucking from the staff and then a quick chat with the duty manager about the law as regards to residents of the country, but that is all. (knocks on wood). Only once or twice when checking in with my wife (who is Japanese) have they looked plaintively over my shoulder at her as if to say, "can't you please help us reign in this rogue gaijin and make him comply?". She usually just goes to a chair in the lobby and sits while I do the necessary paperwork.

As for the law, I have seen it written different ways. Write your passport details, show your passport, allow your passport to be copied/scanned. All are different levels of scrutiny. Unfortunately, local authorities (police and city hall) often overstep their legal boundaries in matters like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 1:50 am

That's the joy of Japan - variation. Oddly, I've only ever been asked for passport (when a resident) at major chains. Small chains or independents have never asked or have said they don't need it if I mentioned I was a resident.

I just put it all into the same category as "swapping driver's licenses": an entertaining nightmare of variable interpretation across the country.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:19 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I’m Japanese with an address outside Japan and travel to Japan with a non-Japanese passport. When I check into international chain hotels in Japan I’m not asked for a passport. Not sure if it’s because I use my hotel loyalty card to make reservations or because I look and speak Japanese and have a Japanese name.

Recently I was trying to book an Airbnb accommodation in rural Japan and was asked to send a scan of a photo ID and to take a photo of myself. When I tried to book another Airbnb accommodation nearby I was not asked to confirm my identity in this way. It appears the host determines if an identity check is required.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:16 pm

More like, "whether the host bothers to follow the law or not"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.